• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    When safe to enter and after clearing to make sure that no persons were inside and only if I happen to see them would I bring a pet out regardless of a sticker or not. If you are asking me would I enter a burning building for only the sake of a pet the answer is no. I would not enter and risk my life to save a pet or any of your property. You want to save rover and you failed to bring him out with the rest of the family then maybe you should grab him up as you fled the fire. Pets can be replaced, the life of my men and myself cannot be.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If you have a major fire in your residence, you had probably better resign yourself to losing your pets. Especially cats, since they will tend to run and hide under the furniture and they are more sensitive to smoke inhalation lung damage.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    During my time on the job, I had several fires where the pet was lying right inside the front door. They went there because that's where they always go to get let out. I would just grab them by the legs and sling them out onto the porch and go on in and put the fire out. As far as going in after a pet only, it'd have to be pretty safe. I wouldn't go all out unless a human life was at stake.

Another time, we had a fire in a private club on Lafayette Road. There was a big German Shepherd inside. When we forced the door, the dog staggered out and laid down on the parking lot. He was supposed to be a guard dog, but after being "gassed" he didn't care if we took everything in the place. It was a great job!

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    I would save the pets before the humans. Pets can't get out on their own....people can. **** them...I don't really like people anyway.

My buddy jumped in a second story window from our ladder to save a pet. He go the pet out before the roof collapsed. People thought he was stupid for doing that. Some people have different priorities, animal lovers will go above and beyond to save them.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I would save the pets before the humans. Pets can't get out on their own....people can. **** them...I don't really like people anyway.

My buddy jumped in a second story window from our ladder to save a pet. He go the pet out before the roof collapsed. People thought he was stupid for doing that. Some people have different priorities, animal lovers will go above and beyond to save them.
    That's great if he wants to die for an animal on his own personal time but when he works for a city or town that is forced to pay death benefits if he dies I don't think that's very good for them. I'd ask the mayor to direct the lad to a new line of work. Maybe mowing the dog park?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I go commando so I don't have that problem. Hey If some idiot who works at (insert Podunk fire dept here) wants to off himself saving a pet I say go for it. Natural selection at its finest.
    No I'm glad I don't make those decisions. I knew someone who wrecked the apparatus several times being a dumb ass and he never got fired either. Job security in public service must be nice for some. But expensive for their employer.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Interesting responses, to say the least! Thanks to those who took time to answer. I'm not currently a pet owner; with my work schedule, I couldn't give a dog the attention it would deserve. I was talking with my sister, a dog owner and told her that in most active fire situations, the stickers probably wouldn't be noticed. She uses them anyway.

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    imagejpeg952.jpg

Found this one after a dryer fire. No risk, just a lot of smoke. He/she (can't remember) was more scared than anything. I never looked for stickers, nor would I attempt a rescue of an animal if it meant risking my own life.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have seen with my own eyes Decatur and Wayne Township FDs taking ambulances out of service to transport dogs to a veterinarian after a fire. Luckily no humans in the area covered by those two ambulances needed medical attention while they were busy.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I have seen with my own eyes Decatur and Wayne Township FDs taking ambulances out of service to transport dogs to a veterinarian after a fire. Luckily no humans in the area covered by those two ambulances needed medical attention while they were busy.

:yesway: That's pretty cool.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Would I save a pet? Yes. Would I put it before human life? NO! Would I change the way I did a search because of a pet? It might make me more alert that there may be a pet, but human life comes first, and I aint going to die to save your flea ridden mut (no offense, I just value my life and the life of ther man/woman conducting a search over that of an animal).

My house burnt down when I was a kid (arson)... I lost my pets, and I moved on. Had my parents lost my sister or myself, I dont know if they would have moved on, and if so, how hard would it have been (fortunately, my parents were at work, and we were at the babysitters).

Top Bottom