• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    ...and anyone else who may work in or have knowledge.

Is there any time when someone admits to committing a class B felony, and actually signs a statement admitting that they would not be arrested on the spot?

I know it's an open ended question that leaves a lot of variables, but I do not want to explain the reason for my question and have people say that it's okay. Maybe I'm a little jaded, but my family and I have been through too much...

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I can say that police can lie to you or mislead you in the course of a criminal investigation.

If someone is going to admit to a felony, I would make sure I had not just verbal assurances but written immunity (or whatever was promised).

If it's not in writing, and signed off on by the persons who have the authority to make those promises, it is worthless.

That person needs solid legal council.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    You are welcome to call him whatever you want, but his advice is still valid. Do not trick yourself into thinking that an investigator is looking out for your personal interest. That's not cop-hate, that's fact.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No verbal assurances or written immunity - John Doe openly admitted to a class b felony and he is still walking around

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    No verbal assurances or written immunity - John Doe openly admitted to a class b felony and he is still walking around

Too many variables and the Prosecutor may be waiting for collaborating evidence or maybe just because he said he did it, they do not believe him or feel that is not enough for a sure conviction All else is just guesswork :rolleyes:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Thank you Sarge - he's still roaming around because the prosecutor is dragging his feet. I was wandering why the police didn't arrest him...

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Thank you Sarge - he's still roaming around because the prosecutor is dragging his feet. I was wandering why the police didn't arrest him...

One other possibility is that the Prosecutor is waiting for a Grand Jury to hand down an indictment. This is used many times when a prosecutor doesn't want to sign the affidavit and can leave it to an empaneled jury or it's more complex and the investigation is incomplete. Giving someone enough rope to hang themselves ;)

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    Investigation

I think there is more to it than what you see, maybe after his confession that information will forwarded to the prosecutor to show probable cause for awarrant to be issued.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    OK deleted that response.

Stayin out of this one.

image-1.gif

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Prosecutor has all the information, but he hasn't done anything with it. Four months after crime was reported and this guy is still walking around. Frankly, I don't understand why it would take so long for a prosecutor to decide what he is going to do...

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Prosecutor has all the information, but he hasn't done anything with it. Four months after crime was reported and this guy is still walking around. Frankly, I don't understand why it would take so long for a prosecutor to decide what he is going to do...

If you are the victim, I'd be asking the Prosecutor why nothing is being done. You have that right. You may not like his answer but he or she is an elected official and should explain his/her actions or lack thereof :dunno:

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I can say that police can lie to you or mislead you in the course of a criminal investigation.

If someone is going to admit to a felony, I would make sure I had not just verbal assurances but written immunity (or whatever was promised).

If it's not in writing, and signed off on by the persons who have the authority to make those promises, it is worthless.

That person needs solid legal council.

Best advice ever! Never ever ever ever ever say anything to the police. They will misconstrue your words and then bend you over.

Top Bottom