• ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I guess I never bothered to see if any I.C. codes covered this as I believe in Big Brother staying the heck out of people's lives just like in my moral code of 'sobriety checkpoints'. Just an intrusion on the rights of people to come and go w/o the Royal British stopping the colonists freedom of moving about.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I find it amazing that in a state that doesn't require helmets on motorcycles seatbelts are required.

Right? Especially in a state that used to have a helmet law but repealed it.

As BBI notes, below, it is all about the money. The first version of the seatbelt law was very limited and was a "secondary" violation, meaning that we had to stop the motorist for some other violation before we could take action on the seatbelt violation.

Also, because they're serious, it is a Class D infraction ($25 fine, no court costs, no license points).

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Right? Especially in a state that used to have a helmet law but repealed it.

As BBI notes, below, it is all about the money. The first version of the seatbelt law was very limited and was a "secondary" violation, meaning that we had to stop the motorist for some other violation before we could take action on the seatbelt violation.

Also, because they're serious, it is a Class D infraction ($25 fine, no court costs, no license points).

I never wrote a person for a seatbelt.... mainly because I never wore one myself.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Ohio seatbelt tickets are about $140 if I remember correctly.
    one of my coworkers was happy he only got a seatbelt ticket instead of speeding...until he saw the cost.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Zero tolerance! You should have written yourself a ticket.

Lol. My FTO told me to never wear a seatbelt, and relayed a story of an officer that was driving to a scene, and as he got there, a guy comes out in the middle of the road, with a gun, and fires into the vehicle. Officer tries to dive down, but got "yoked" by his seatbelt, and got hit. That'll I needed to hear.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Lol. My FTO told me to never wear a seatbelt, and relayed a story of an officer that was driving to a scene, and as he got there, a guy comes out in the middle of the road, with a gun, and fires into the vehicle. Officer tries to dive down, but got "yoked" by his seatbelt, and got hit. That'll I needed to hear.

Never heard any stories / worked accidents of people killed by not wearing their seat belts? I'd bet those stories are over 1000:1 ratio vs. the one your FTO related. All about the odds. :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I never wrote a person for a seatbelt.... mainly because I never wore one myself.

Shouldn't you also never give people tickets for speeding because you're also doing it then? :):

Over here some professions exempt you from wearing a seatbelt, like taxi driver, post office employee or police officer.

You're also exempt if you're driving an older vehicles that was built without a seatbelt.

We see quite a lot of those on our roads, especially WW2 type vehicles.

443516287_B979267357Z.1_20160722120917_000_GDA793T2S.1-0.jpg

In that case the driver was ejected from the car and died during the crash.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Never heard any stories / worked accidents of people killed by not wearing their seat belts? I'd bet those stories are over 1000:1 ratio vs. the one your FTO related. All about the odds. :)

Most LEOs I know don't wear them. But I have seen a lot of deaths because of not having seatbelts. But Ive seen more from people who don't wear helmets.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Your FTO compromised your safety. Even ignoring how many officers have their careers ended by vehicle crashes vs being shot, and ignoring you shouldn't be pulling right up to the scene anyway. Wear your seat belt, pop it off a block or two before arriving, and you get the benefit of the seat belt while driving and the quick egress upon arrival. And don't forget your car is also a weapon if need be.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Your FTO compromised your safety. Even ignoring how many officers have their careers ended by vehicle crashes vs being shot, and ignoring you shouldn't be pulling right up to the scene anyway. Wear your seat belt, pop it off a block or two before arriving, and you get the benefit of the seat belt while driving and the quick egress upon arrival. And don't forget your car is also a weapon if need be.

Yeah, that's what they say. To each their own, I guess. I still wouldn't wear one.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It took one lap around the EVO track without my seatbelt on to decide it was a very important piece of emergency driving equipment. I will take it off as I'm about to approach a call location, but otherwise it's always on. It's as silly as not wearing your vest because it's going to be really hot outside.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I believe not wearing a seatbelt is dumb, but I am 100% against the state forcing us to do so!:xmad:
    I totally agree! I want to use my seatbelt and do so every time I drive, but it being against the law is ridiculous. Little by little we are losing our freedoms because the government believes it's best for us. How long until we are all wearing foam bicycle helmets if we are out walking? Because it would be safer to be wearing them if we were to fall down.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It took one lap around the EVO track without my seatbelt on to decide it was a very important piece of emergency driving equipment. I will take it off as I'm about to approach a call location, but otherwise it's always on. It's as silly as not wearing your vest because it's going to be really hot outside.

I've been in a few crash test machines to test the effect of a seatbelt.

One that simulates head-on collisions, and one that simulates rollovers.

s%C3%A9curit%C3%A9-routi%C3%A8re-3.jpg

After you do a few rolls they ask you if you want to do the same thing without your sealbelt on.
    Even at low speed a rollover will break your neck, you can also get crushed and killed by any passenger not wearing a seatbelt.
    You can also get ejected as the car rolls and lose your head.

[video=youtube;_jpsIZq7t2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jpsIZq7t2k[/video]

I don't know anyone who would decide not to wear a seatbelt after being in one of those.

They also have blocks of foam in the car to make you realize that anything not attached to the vehicle will hit you in the face during a rollover.
    Don't keep a hammer on the dashboard!

testochoc-2.jpg
    watch

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    This is why it's better to keep your hammer above the visor. If you ever need it then it's right there. There isn't anything more secure than a visor. I do like to keep an anvil sitting in the back seat though, just in case I need the hammer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's as silly as not wearing your vest because it's going to be really hot outside.

...or because "it'll cause a rifle round to upset at do more damage than a hit without a vest". Old Wives and their tales live in LE and .mil as much as they live everywhere. Don't forget to drag them into the house after you shoot them...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    ...or because "it'll cause a rifle round to upset at do more damage than a hit without a vest". Old Wives and their tales live in LE and .mil as much as they live everywhere. Don't forget to drag them into the house after you shoot them...
    Why would I shoot an old wife?

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Why would I shoot an old wife?
    I agree! Should they be shot just because they are old? No!

Or are you asking why YOU would shoot an old wife? To that sir, I just don't know, but I hope it was self defense.

Top Bottom