• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    A minor traffic stop, you have a tail light out. How do you deal with being a responsible gun owner when your in this situation. You want to be polite,
    without bringing harm to yourself or the officer. What is the correct thing to do?

Senario #1.... Your driving down the road and an officer lights you up and pulls you over. Your handgun is safely stuck in between the seat and center console, in plain view. When the officer approaches do you...
    A: Put your hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and tell him you have a hand gun and a valid LTCH?
    B: Put your hands at 10 and 2 and let him dicover it himself?

Scenario #2..... He pulls you over. You handgun is concealed in you holster tucked underneath your shirt. He approaches do you...
    A: Tell him your carrying and have a valid LTCH?
    B: Do't tell him at all?

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Personally, I have had good luck letting them know. I normally will show my DL and LTCH at the same time. I carry them both in the same folder.

Both times I was asked if I had a firearm with me, I told them yes and where it was. In both cases they both said Ok. One asked that I leave it there and the other said nothing more then OK.

Both times it was on my right side concealed. One did ask what I was carrying and we had a nice conversation on us both liking the 1911's.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, scenario 1 would never happen with me, so the point is moot. If, for some bizarre reason I did have my gun off me, I still wouldn't inform until he asked. In #2 I'd remain silent and not say anything. As we've seen all too many times it just leads to grief and isn't worth the hassle that can result. If he asks, I might tell him, but I'm not letting him disarm me, no matter how unsafe buttercup feels.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Never been asked on a traffic stop. Never volunteered the info. Why complicate the situation? The officer has nothing to fear from me.

As far as scenario 1, I would never have my gun in plain sight....

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I am a responsible gun owner and see no need to inform regardless of how I am carrying.

Weapon related questions won't get an answer unless they've pulled me over for a suspected weapon related charge.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What do I tell you guys? Right, be quiet. Don't incite, don't inject gasoline, don't play 20 questions, don't try to be the "good guy", don't think that your running your baconhole creates a force field that keeps tickets out of your car. Be quiet, do what is needed, relax, you're not commiting a crime, it's just a potentional productivity tax.

If the cops wants to play 20 questions, don't play, smile and blow kisses, ask if you are free to leave. If not, don't leave. If you are, leave.

It's just an infraction.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What do I tell you guys? Right, be quiet. Don't incite, don't inject gasoline, don't play 20 questions, don't try to be the "good guy", don't think that your running your baconhole creates a force field that keeps tickets out of your car. Be quiet, do what is needed, relax, you're not commiting a crime, it's just a potentional productivity tax.

If the cops wants to play 20 questions, don't play, smile and blow kisses, ask if you are free to leave. If not, don't leave. If you are, leave.

It's just an infraction.

This..... Well said.

I made a traffic stop one time on the State Highway going through the "ghetto". The Male and Female with the baby in the back seat carrier could not wait to proclaim that they were armed and had pink papers.

I almost chuckled. My guard was not let down, but I read it correctly.

I just told them to not try anything foolish and I would be writing them a citation for that red light they ran and they would be free to get back home. I certainly didn't want to see their guns. As long as they have the pink papers, they could have a bazooka for all I care.

On the other hand, the guy I pulled over and asked for his license and he reached under the seat, got a S&W screwed into his ear.

How many of you guys keep your wallet under the seat? Most people have the drivers license already out as an Officer approaches.

Last edited:

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg

It's just an infraction.
    So what is the ONE thing you can say when you get pulled over that will guarantee that you DO get a ticket???

"DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM???"

And no, I wouldn't volunteer, unless he approached on my passenger side, and I was OC'ing on my right hip, which is quite possible.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    A minor traffic stop, you have a tail light out. How do you deal with being a responsible gun owner when your in this situation. You want to be polite,
    without bringing harm to yourself or the officer. What is the correct thing to do?

Senario #1.... Your driving down the road and an officer lights you up and pulls you over. Your handgun is safely stuck in between the seat and center console, in plain view. When the officer approaches do you...
    A: Put your hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and tell him you have a hand gun and a valid LTCH?
    B: Put your hands at 10 and 2 and let him dicover it himself?

Scenario #2..... He pulls you over. You handgun is concealed in you holster tucked underneath your shirt. He approaches do you...
    A: Tell him your carrying and have a valid LTCH?
    B: Do't tell him at all?
    1. B
    2. B
    - no need to create any unnecessary questions/tension. It's the LEO's problem if he doesn't notice it in scenario 1, and in #2 he doesn't need to know (really he doesn't need to know in either scenario but its in plain sight in #1)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    So what is the ONE thing you can say when you get pulled over that will guarantee that you DO get a ticket???

"DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM???"

And no, I wouldn't volunteer, unless he approached on my passenger side, and I was OC'ing on my right hip, which is quite possible.

If you committed an infraction, wouldn't you be expecting a ticket? If you don't get one, wouldn't you be grateful? What you have to say is not relevant...

Everybody I have ticketed, he/she knew they had it coming. I didn't stop anybody unless I had them cold...

For example, I stopped for the red light, but the lady on the cell phone blew through it right next to me.

Ticket. I don't care what she says.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If im carrying concealed I wouldn't say anything unless im asked "Do you have any weapons on you?".
    To that I would say "I dont have anything illegal", if asked again what weapons I have on me I would tell the LEO about my gun and show my licence if asked.
    If the LEO asks "Do you have any illegal weapons on you?" then the answer is "No".

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    worfhu2.gif

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    i never told them if not ask, i had some stops and got ticket and the question never come out, other times they ask and i told them, then they ask me no to get out of the car but they do not even bother to see my pink card, i been with other detectives that saw me come out of the card with the gun and nothing was ask, most times we end up talking about were we practice, what guns i have, shake hands and fair warning that not be BS about the Gary police that do not treat me right.
    But i guess deppend of the officer, the time, the day and common practices of the town or city.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've always had a thing about not answering any questions that haven't been asked. I sure won't lie to the guy if he asks, but I don't think I'd even weasel. I'd not want to give him any pretext to say I was being uncooperative. If he starts being a jerk, I'll do the "am I being held" thing, but only if it seems like he's just busting my chops. My policy if I get pulled over is to have my license and registration on the dash, the window open and my hands at 10 & 2 before he walks up. If he needs anything else, he has to ask for it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    A and A. We travel a lot and go through a lot of states. Some have a duty to tell requirement and some don't. I don't see any benefit in not telling. If I get in the habit I don't have to worry about what I have to do/not do in whatever state I'm in.

JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    There was a video a few weeks ago about a LEO in Ohio that went completely ape ***** when the driver didn't immediately state he had a gun. I also saw a TV program about Alaska in which it was mentioned that Alaskan drivers must inform the officer if they have a gun (any weapon?) in the vehicle.

From the above posts it's obvious that such a law doesn't exist in Indiana. So I assume that you are only required to inform if they specifically ask about handguns?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...From the above posts it's obvious that such a law doesn't exist in Indiana. So I assume that you are only required to inform if they specifically ask about handguns?

You are not required to inform even if they do specifically ask.

You have the right to remain silent on that subject.
    Some are so willing to waive that right, it's as if it didn't even exist.

Top Bottom