• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    Got a question, maybe for the LEO`s, maybe not. I have seen a lot of police officers, not only in Evansville but other areas also, carry Glocks on the job. But as of yet I have not seen any of them using the Blackhawk Serpa holsters. It just seems to me that the Serpa holster would be more secure for the weapon. So, what holsters do LEO`s use and why?

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I strongly prefer the Safariland ALS holster. The retention is very strong and the release is in a better place than the Serpa. My main duty holster also has the ALS system, so it is already muscle memory. Take a look at the Safariland, it is within $10 of the Serpa. I think I pay around $40 for them and they are suede lined.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I strongly prefer the Safariland ALS holster. The retention is very strong and the release is in a better place than the Serpa. My main duty holster also has the ALS system, so it is already muscle memory. Take a look at the Safariland, it is within $10 of the Serpa. I think I pay around $40 for them and they are suede lined.

Pretty much nailed my response. Mine is triple retention, suede lined, and I have used variations for so long, muscle memory is set.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a Serpa in my office that malfunctioned and the officer could not get it out of the holster consistently. I wouldn't carry one if they paid me to, there is zero comparison between the quality of a Serpa and a Safariland.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    This. 1000X better than a Serpa.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Serpa + Glock = potential for bullet in the thigh. Some folks have been pushing the retention button in and their finger is still straining to come in as they pull the pistol, the finger flies into the trigger guard, and boom...hole in the leg.

With the potential being above zero and there being many alternatives that have no down side, I don't see a place for the Serpa in my holster selection.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Along these lines..... Are the federal officers on the military bases required to secure their side arms in the holster with a strap or another type of retention?
    I can't go a month with out letting one of them know they are unstrapped. I usually get the evil eye for doing so...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Add another one for the Safariland ALS system. I use the ALS system on my leather gear holster, nylon gear holster, and off-duty holster. I've had the Serpa holster in the past and never had problems myself, but I heard of issues with people shooting themselves or getting snow/mud/etc. into the locking area and it getting jammed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Several of the university officers at IU use serpa holsters. I was surprised to see that they were allowed by the department.

Not everyone knows, or believes, in the issues with the holsters. Blackhawk! is a known brand, and folks who may not want to put much research into any given product often buy on brand recognition alone.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Safariland is the standard for law enforcement holsters for a reason. Whether ALS or standard rotating hood retention, they work and work well for many years. Also, while a low risk, a serpa holster can be fairly easily bound up if snow, dirt, or mud gets lodged in the release mechanism. This could happen from falling or getting in a fight. Nothing worse than needing your gun and not being able to get it out.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The buy their OWN duty gear? What the hell. I get certain stuff, but a holster? That's ridiculous.

IUPD has long had to buy their own gear. My fellow range officer at the IU range joined IUPD and bought his own bat belt, holster, handgun, etc.

He went with a HK P7 (yeah, it was a while ago).

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There are a couple Federal SWAT teams that have adopted Blackhawk Serpa's with their SIG's for a few years. I have used them for a minute and while some have a notion that they are prone to AD's we just never saw that, maybe it's because of the training. I personally like the Safariland product line better than the Serpa's but if someone will have an AD with a Serpa they will probably have issues with any type. JMHO from seeing them used for a few years on ranges and duty.

Top Bottom