• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    When I was a LEO in the Coast Guard we qualified every three months. If you qualified on the first round for the practical pistol course. Then you would only fire 50 rounds. Which in my opinion is not near enough. I know it was Federal not State. So, how often do you guys qualify and how many rounds do you fire? I know some departments may differ. The reason I ask is this. We got into a discussion in my Political class. We where discussing the 2nd amendment. One kid who was probably not a day over 18 says this. " I saw a guy in Walmart carrying a Colt 1911 in a shoulder holster. " I thought, why the hell was he carrying such a big *** gun " " I do not think he should carry such a big gun ". " Waiving it around and shooting at people ". He went on to say that we should not be able to carry firearms. That we should leave it up to the Police. First off, I told him you may not have time to wait for the police. Secondly I told him that most gun enthusiasts shoot more than LEO's are required to. So, please do not take what I'm saying as me trying to be a jerk. I respect what you guys do. I'm just curious how often you guys qualify.

Thanks,
    Patriot

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    In the Air Force, we qualified twice a year on our primary weapons, once on secondary.

For many folks, who only concentrated on their primary specialty and didn't do anything extra, this meant they fired their guns 3 times a year, roughly 150 rounds total. This would have been the majority.

Some of us went after every opening and training opportunity we could find. In my case, I fired my M16 twice a year for qualification, my sidearm (M15 and later M9) twice a year, M60 once a year, M203 once a year, shotgun once a year. Once I was on our Emergency Services Team, I added a couple other weapons to the list, and LOTS more training opportunities, at least every other week.

So, I think you may find it varies just as much among police officers as it does the general public. Some are gun enthusiasts, to some the guns are just a heavy PIA they've gotta carry around.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I qualified once (no, not once a year, a month, but once ever). I carried a Glock 23 and a Smith 638.

All practice ammo, training schools, and guns purchased were on my dime (I am proud to say).

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    20 years ago I did the same Qualification course that Marion County reserve deputies did, I was not impressed by their shooting, course was very easy to pass IMO

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    We used to have training once a month. During the three winter months we couldn't use the range so we did PR24, defensive tactics or FATS. That left nine actual range days a year.

Spring, Summer and Fall one month's range day we would shoot a 50 round PPC course. The other six months we might do a combat course, shotguns, night range or malfunctions drills depending on what instructor was running the range that day and how much time they had to set something up.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I am not an LEO, but I do appreciate everthing they do. Especially since I work on an ambulance, and they have helped me out on more than one occasion. Anyhow,

About two months ago, my grandfather and I went to his local shooting range, which has a 25, 50, 100, and 225. There were several LEOs who were practicing for the SWAT qualifications on the 225yd course. For reasons unbeknownst to me, whether it was my casting and reloads, my rifle, or my familiarity with my weapon. My 30-06 and I stomped them in groupings. We even took turns going shot for shot. One of them had terrible follow through, who greatly improved his groups when I made him aware and he started to think about it. But I guess they only had to qualify once a year.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    We qualify every three months. The round count depends on what we are doing. Our firearms trainer is constantly changing the course up doing different types of drills, movements, what type of range we are using, or if we are in a "shoot house" using simunations.

Then in between those, I'm shooting as often as I can afford it :ar15:(unfortunately thats not as often as it used to be :()

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    IMPD has to qualify twice a year for pistol/shotgun and twice a year for rifle. Qual days are 8 hours long and you shoot about 250 rounds pistol and rifle, 4 rounds shotgun. The range is open most fridays for practice.

Qual days include the state/department mandated qualification courses and several "tactical" courses that incorporate moving, talking on the radio, entering/exiting vehicles and buildings, and sometimes a little PT.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    The quals required varied per Departments. Our required quals were minimum once a year. They conduted "Combat" versus "Academy" type quals. Since a number of officers worked different details, the quals were usually over a two day period. We shot outside in the weather, and inside using night simulations. Shotgun, Duty weapon, Back up and Rifle. Rifle and MP5 were outdoor only. A lot of officers elected to go quarterly and I did as well. A number of officers also hunt, shoot trap etc. to keep current.

Some officers decided the once a year was sufficient. They usually didn't clean their firearms since the last quals. You could tell who was interested in going to the FOP after shooting, most of the complaints were aired there.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    When I was a LEO in the Coast Guard we qualified every three months. If you qualified on the first round for the practical pistol course. Then you would only fire 50 rounds. Which in my opinion is not near enough. I know it was Federal not State. So, how often do you guys qualify and how many rounds do you fire? I know some departments may differ. The reason I ask is this. We got into a discussion in my Political class. We where discussing the 2nd amendment. One kid who was probably not a day over 18 says this. " I saw a guy in Walmart carrying a Colt 1911 in a shoulder holster. " I thought, why the hell was he carrying such a big *** gun " " I do not think he should carry such a big gun ". " Waiving it around and shooting at people ". He went on to say that we should not be able to carry firearms. That we should leave it up to the Police. First off, I told him you may not have time to wait for the police. Secondly I told him that most gun enthusiasts shoot more than LEO's are required to. So, please do not take what I'm saying as me trying to be a jerk. I respect what you guys do. I'm just curious how often you guys qualify.

Thanks,
    Patriot

Sounds like the class mate in question was lucky to survive, since they guy was apparently waiving it around and shooting at people.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    When I was the ILEA Instructor in our County we shot the ILEA Combat Handgun Course four times a year. Each qualification the Officer had to go through the course five times. That's a total of twenty times through the course each year. In addition we fired the Night Combat Course and the Combat Shotgun course once a year. After I retired they did away with the 50 yd line firing which thoroughly wizzed me off! Anyone should be able to score Expert back to 25 yds. The 50 yd line separated the men from the boys.

Top Bottom