• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My sister gave this fish, and I'm trying to figure out what it is. I'm thinking a species of Cichlid, but can not find anything. I need to know what other fish I can put with it, without it killing them off.

001-64.jpg

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Looks kinda like a green terror cichlid, its a South American variety. If so, it won't play well with others.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I'm leaning towards a male Betta too. If it's a Betta just don't put another male Betta with it. If it's a Cichlid, like it was said before, they don't play well with others.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It's certainly not a Green Terror, but I'm not sure if it's a Betta either...Can you take a better picture (preferably a few)?

BTW, here is an old picture of my Green Terror, so you can rule that one out...They ALL have that black line running down their sides (male and female).

DSC_5751.jpg

Last edited:

br2710

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Wayne County
    It is deffinatly a male Betta. Take a miirror and hold it to the tank (but not too long it will stress the fish out). It will puff and go crazy. If you put two in a tank they will fight to the death.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It is deffinatly a male Betta.

Can you show me a picture of a Betta that has white dots on its tail? I've never seen one.

My money is on Paradise Fish right now...After doing a small amount of reading, they sound a lot like Bettas though: Large, flailing fins, males don't like other males, the females are much more drab looking and they can survive in an oxygen deprived environment.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks guys, I looked through a couple off books I have, but could not come to a conclusion. My Sister said the fish is four years old, but could not remember what it was. It does not bother my Tetras but killed my Corey's in a day.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Thanks guys, I looked through a couple off books I have, but could not come to a conclusion. My Sister said the fish is four years old, but could not remember what it was. It does not bother my Tetras but killed my Corey's in a day.

So, more pictures aren't a possibility?

I don't care if you don't...It's not my fish getting killed. LOL

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    It is not a male beta. It's a paradise for sure. Anyways it was given to you. I free fish is a good fish. fish have personalities like any other animal. some fish are aggressive some are not. I had a Shubunkin and a Red Devil Cichlid in the same tank and the Shubinkin(which is a type of goldfish) almost killed the Red Devil(which is known to be one of the most aggressive Cichlids known)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    After doing some more research, as others have said, I believe it to be a Paradise fish. I wonderd why it did not kill my Tetras. I read that large Tetras are ok to put with a Paradise fish. It also says most catfish as well. So, at least I have an idea of what I can put in the tank with it.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Thread Jack...

I had a Stars and Stripes puffer fish in a 125 gallon tank once. that thing wa so aggressive I was afraid to clean the tank. I finally bought a piece of plexiglass to section the tank off so I could clean half at a time. That fish would kill anything it came across...it even won the epic battle with the Mantis Shrimp I had in the same tank despite having one of the shrimp's pincers stuck above it's mouth for about a week.

Top Bottom