• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I’ve been an EMT since 1988 and an instructor for many years and now program director for my program, as well as managing about 50 part time EMR/EMTs.

A nice scope is also the traditional gift but as it’s off the table, a gold Star of Life pin or pendant would be nice.
    When she received her license, I gave her this along with the trauma shears:

pin.png

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Of course, now that it’s too late, I just thought of a good gift for an EMT, but I’m sure there will be opportunities in the future. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. It’s so obvious that I just overlooked it until I was ordering one for myself a few minutes ago.

A watch with a clear, easily readable (in low light) face, especially the second hand. Waterproof or at least water resistant, so that if it gets dirt or ickum on it, it can be easily cleaned/disinfected, and not too expensive so that when it gets smashed on the door of the box (ambulance) it won’t be a big loss.

I suppose a lot more stuff is automated now than when I was doing EMT stuff, or maybe they just use their phones for everything, but even so I’m sure she will have to do a manual blood pressure on occasion, and having sweep second hand that you can actually see in semi-darkness is very helpful.

Myself, I like a black face with large white numerals, and distinctive quite minute, hour, and especially second hands. I don’t like the watch face cluttered up with dates, or 24 hour time markings, or other little dials and gimcracks. But the reverse would be OK as well.

I still like that kind of watch, and I just ordered this one from Amazon, which is what made you think of this thread. She looks like a slim young lady, so this one (40mm) might be too big for her wrist, but there are some similar ones on Amazon that are a bit smaller.

DB448006-3E86-4CE0-B720-E66ED512A1AA.jpeg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Haven't been an EMT for over 20 years now, but stethoscope was also my first thought.

Ok, tuition to nursing school was actually my first thought, but stethoscope was my second and more rational thought.
    Well now #1 daughter has been accepted into a nursing program. She will continue to work as an EMT while completing nursing school.

As I said before, I have already paid for a bachelor degree, so while we supply a roof, bed and food, we will not be paying the tuition.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well now #1 daughter has been accepted into a nursing program. She will continue to work as an EMT while completing nursing school.

As I said before, I have already paid for a bachelor degree, so while we supply a roof, bed and food, we will not be paying the tuition.

Good. Unless things have radically changed, it's tough to make a living as an EMT if you aren't also a firefighter. My ex-wife had a bachelors in chemistry and did a BSN program that increased her earning potential dramatically at the time.

Top Bottom