• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a friend who has a console piano she would like for me to transport from her mother's home to her place, roughly 70 miles. I haven't looked into piano movers yet, because to me, it should simply be a matter of getting it into a Uhaul, throwing some quilts over it and strapping it to the front wall. Am I missing anything special that piano moving pros offer that I should consider? BTW, it's a 35-40year old Kimball that she says is probably worth no more than $400. on a good day.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do you know a weight on it? You'll probably need four people. We moved an upright and it was a beast. Uhaul, blankets, and lots of straps to stop movement in the truck. Also something to protect thresholds if you are pushing/dragging.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have been involved in moving a couple uprights. One of them, (the daughters) I have helped move twice now. They are heavy. We needed four stout men. This is not a job for a weak link. Steps are a *****.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    If all you are doing is transporting then no problem. See if you can get a truck with a lift gate and even better. If you have to move the thing more then on the truck/off the truck, I hope you and a few friends have VERY strong backs. You will need it.

Once the piano is moved, they need to be tuned. Something about moving them sets the strings off a bit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ....Once the piano is moved, they need to be tuned. Something about moving them sets the strings off a bit.

Exactly. My Dad ran a part-time piano tuning and repair business for 30 years and visits after moves were probably his most frequent call....that and pianos in areas that were not climate controlled very well- yes, humidity and temp swings will screw the tune up.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Many piano stores and moving companies have piano dollies that you can rent fairly inexpensively. My wife had an upright that we moved from our old house with just two people. Don't do it, it sucks! When she sold it, the new owners brought a trailer and dolly. HUGE difference. Your back will thank you.

Top Bottom