• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Due to the TSA Standards in effect when I flew back from Afghanistan I was not allowed to possess my cuffs. Therefore I need to replace them.

I had 2 pair of American Standard Cuffs which were issue to me many years ago. I am looking at replacing them with either Cuffs from ASP, S&W or....

As a field Joe my experience with cuffs is rather limited. I have used S&W mdl 100 and the American Standard Cuffs but no others...

Need something that is durable, and not shiny...

Thanks!!!

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Due to the TSA Standards in effect when I flew back from Afghanistan I was not allowed to possess my cuffs. Therefore I need to replace them.

I had 2 pair of American Standard Cuffs which were issue to me many years ago. I am looking at replacing them with either Cuffs from ASP, S&W or....

As a field Joe my experience with cuffs is rather limited. I have used S&W mdl 100 and the American Standard Cuffs but no others...

Need something that is durable, and not shiny...

Thanks!!!

I carry ASP handcuffs. They are a oversized and fit bigger people easier. I've never had a problem out of them in the last 6 years or so that I've been carring them. The key hole on both sides is the main selling point. I hate trying to take cuffs off someone with the hole on the bottom. With ASP theres always a hole on top with a double lock indicator. I have both the hinged and chain pairs. ASP is what I recommend.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was issued S&W's when I was in the Coast Guard. In my opinion they where high quality and served me well. They held up well to the regular encounters with salt water.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    In my opinion chain cuffs are easier to put on a subject that resisting/being a pain, but hinged cuffs allow for more control once they are on the subject, plus hinged cuffs make their hands a little less mobile

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I use hinged for the ones resisting like 1546 stated. It allows a ton more control over them and limits the movement of their hands. Not too often do I need them, but when I do I'm glad I have them.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I carry ASP handcuffs. They are a oversized and fit bigger people easier. I've never had a problem out of them in the last 6 years or so that I've been carring them. The key hole on both sides is the main selling point. I hate trying to take cuffs off someone with the hole on the bottom. With ASP theres always a hole on top with a double lock indicator. I have both the hinged and chain pairs. ASP is what I recommend.

This. The ASP cuffs are nice and lightweight, plus (as stated above) they fit a wider range of wrist sizes than the S&W 100 cuffs I used to use. I have yet to have a problem with any of the sets I own. The only real drawback is you need to get cuff holders made specifically for them as a standard cuf case isn't big enough.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    There was a company that made titanium cuffs that were super light weight and strong but they went out of business. The asp cuffs are far superior to the others and don't rust. I recommend these as not only are they strong and lightweight, they show your sensitive side and negate the jack booted thug stereotype. It's better to look adorable on your way to jail.

images

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    This. The ASP cuffs are nice and lightweight, plus (as stated above) they fit a wider range of wrist sizes than the S&W 100 cuffs I used to use. I have yet to have a problem with any of the sets I own. The only real drawback is you need to get cuff holders made specifically for them as a standard cuf case isn't big enough.

I actually use standard handcuff cases for mine. I have the open leather safariland with the snaps. It was tuff at first but the leather stretched and they fit perfect now. It's just a little tough at first.

swat1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Martinsville
    I still prefer the Peerless Handcuffs (chain as opposed to the hinged variety). I really dislike Smith and Wesson because of the different double locking system. I know there are several officers on our department that use the ASP Handcuffs, and really seem to like them though. I suppose in the end it all comes down to personal preference and what you have trained with.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    I only use Hiatt hinged due to their materials, double lock location, their ability to be loaded and the amount of teeth they have.

Hinged offer better control on suspects, remove the possibility of loosing a finger, reduce the possibility that they can get the cuffs in front of them and are harder to break.

devildog178

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Henry Co
    Smith Wesson are my favorites. I have a pair of ASP but they ride on my spotlight lol. Chain cuffs are the most versatile. My hinged Smiths do not get used.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I actually use standard handcuff cases for mine. I have the open leather safariland with the snaps. It was tuff at first but the leather stretched and they fit perfect now. It's just a little tough at first.

I know some people with different standard holders that said the same thing. I couldn't even get the cuffs down into mine so I bought an ASP specific case (and like the design without the flap a lot better). With nylon gear I noticed most cuff makers have different size cuff cases and bought one specifically for the ASP for that also, mostly just because I didn't want to have to order cases twice if the first one didn't work.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Asp Identifiers (black and pink) the pink might seem gay but they're good for a couple reasons. They are easier to know which pair is yours. And the big bad ass just doesn't feel as bad ass in pink.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I only use Hiatt hinged due to their materials, double lock location, their ability to be loaded and the amount of teeth they have.

Hinged offer better control on suspects, remove the possibility of loosing a finger, reduce the possibility that they can get the cuffs in front of them and are harder to break.

+1 for the Hiatt's. The can be proloaded making them easy to apply on resisters. I also like the double set button instead of the slide like on the S&W's. They are also priced right.:twocents:

chicken89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    hiatts
    i've noticed they also have different sizes- have 2 pairs of chained, one is little bit smaller than other

Top Bottom