• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I usually let out a battle cry as I draw my handgun, jump up on the hood and point it at the driver whilst attempting to kick the windshield in. I've never been able to kick a windshield in this way so after about 30 seconds of frenzied attempts I jump off the hood, sprint back to my car an haul ass out of there. Can't be too careful these days.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Really? I have been part of a normal routine traffic stop. Kind of weird that you haven't. What are you doing to keep them from being a routine traffic stop?
    Please answer this Mr. Turboguy! I have taken part in 7 routine traffic stops and I'm not a cop! (No tickets either).

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I usually let out a battle cry as I draw my handgun, jump up on the hood and point it at the driver whilst attempting to kick the windshield in. I've never been able to kick a windshield in this way so after about 30 seconds of frenzied attempts I jump off the hood, sprint back to my car an haul ass out of there. Can't be too careful these days.

Small world, I do the very same thing. Doesn't really have the same effect, though. I am not a LEO. :laugh:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Small world, I do the very same thing. Doesn't really have the same effect, though. I am not a LEO. :laugh:

I know right. That cop had a straight jacket out last time I tried that, I settled right the hell down at the sight of it. They are all, look at me, I'm a cop and jump on your hood, but if I do it, nooooooooo the straight jacket comes out

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Please answer this Mr. Turboguy! I have taken part in 7 routine traffic stops and I'm not a cop! (No tickets either).

There are no routine traffic stops equates with not being complacent, because when you get in a routine you get stuck in the OODA loop harder when that routine is broken. What 'routine' means to you on a traffic stop and what it means to a cop on a traffic stop are not the same thing.

Now, as far as the original question, it all depends. When I was on the street, I ran into it a couple of times. If you're reaching for it, I'm pulling and getting you out of the car until we figure it out. If you just happen to keep a Glock on top of your registration, tell me that before opening your glove box. If its partially hidden, I'm going to ask you about it and see your reaction and go from there. If its in a box with a set of ear muffs and goggles, I'll still ask about it but am also going to ask what range you went to and what you thought of it. If you DO inform me that you have a gun in the car, I'll just ask you to leave your hands on the wheel while I'm back at my car and not to be fumblng around and that's the end of it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've never been able to kick a windshield in this way so after about 30 seconds of frenzied attempts I jump off the hood, sprint back to my car an haul ass out of there. Can't be too careful these days.

The secret is proper technique and golf cleats. Well, mostly just golf cleats.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I know right. That cop had a straight jacket out last time I tried that, I settled right the hell down at the sight of it. They are all, look at me, I'm a cop and jump on your hood, but if I do it, nooooooooo the straight jacket comes out

Dontcha just hate those "I love me" jackets?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

LMAO. I'd rep you, but INGO won't let me.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    tell me that before opening your glove box. If its partially hidden, I'm going to ask you about it and see your reaction and go from there. If its in a box with a set of ear muffs and goggles,

All that in a glove box? That's a dang big glove box.
    When I had a headlight out but didn't know it, I got pulled over for it. In the tray next to me, there were stringed earplugs, spent casings, one (empty) mag, and a half used folded sheet of Shoot N C stickers. No way to miss all that crap with the dome light on (which it was)... I never said I had an LTCH nor a firearm on my person. Mr.Chatty "I'mSoSorryI'mSoSorry" never asked, either. (At that particular moment, I think there were actually five in the vehicle and box of ammo in a bag)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    All that in a glove box? That's a dang big glove box.

I didn't mean just in the glove box, just in the passenger compartment in general. BUUUUTTT, since you brought it up:

2010-dodge-ram-2500-2wd-reg-cab-140-5-st-dashboard_100308954_l.jpg

Easy to do in a Ram.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    As long as it isn't pointed at me or anyone else I could care less.

There are no routine traffic stops equates with not being complacent, because when you get in a routine you get stuck in the OODA loop harder when that routine is broken. What 'routine' means to you on a traffic stop and what it means to a cop on a traffic stop are not the same thing.

Now, as far as the original question, it all depends. When I was on the street, I ran into it a couple of times. If you're reaching for it, I'm pulling and getting you out of the car until we figure it out. If you just happen to keep a Glock on top of your registration, tell me that before opening your glove box. If its partially hidden, I'm going to ask you about it and see your reaction and go from there. If its in a box with a set of ear muffs and goggles, I'll still ask about it but am also going to ask what range you went to and what you thought of it. If you DO inform me that you have a gun in the car, I'll just ask you to leave your hands on the wheel while I'm back at my car and not to be fumblng around and that's the end of it.

^^^THIS^^^

Don't get too wrapped up in the semantics of the word "routine". BBI hit the nail on the head. While all traffic stops have similar benchmarks, each one is slightly different based on the driver's reaction and the discovery of new information during the stop that may require a change of course for the officer (driver has a warrant or is suspended; presence of intoxication or narcotics, etc.). The fact that guys on here have had "routine" stops wherein they've had a decent conversation with the officer resulting in a warning and the non-removal of a firearm would indicate that a lot of coppers are doing right, contrary to the belief of many.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    ^^^THIS^^^

Don't get too wrapped up in the semantics of the word "routine". BBI hit the nail on the head. While all traffic stops have similar benchmarks, each one is slightly different based on the driver's reaction and the discovery of new information during the stop that may require a change of course for the officer (driver has a warrant or is suspended; presence of intoxication or narcotics, etc.). The fact that guys on here have had "routine" stops wherein they've had a decent conversation with the officer resulting in a warning and the non-removal of a firearm would indicate that a lot of coppers are doing right, contrary to the belief of many.

You guys keep adding to my simple stop and making mountains out of mole hills. I just dont understand that. I laid out the parameters of the stop and you want to change them.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    JUst the facts. During my last nose swipe (seems I had violated the imaginary line for making left turns) I informed the ISP trooper I was carrying. He said "I don't care." So there ya go...no more voluntary admissions for me.

I know this is a BS post, but I wanted to get the "Plinker" off my avatar. There may be a little info there.

Last edited:

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    You pull someone over for normal traffic stop. Exchange pleasantries and what not. They do not inform that they have a gun and a license. After a few moments you notice a gun. How do you react?

I ask this because I am having a conversation with an officer on FB and in that very scenario he said he would draw his gun and have it pointed at the driver.

Id ask if they have a license to carry the gun if its a handgun. If it's a long gun, I wouldn't even ask about it.

Top Bottom