• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Anyone on here that runs classes which apply towards IDHS "in service" training hours?

Thanks!
    I don't know of any classes that would apply to the in service hours. but if the instructor is certified at the same level as you and you practice at least 1 skill required by the state they can sign off just as any other person of the same level or higher can. or you can just take any class you want and get a friend or coworker to hang out and practice some skills on day and sign eachothers paperwork.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    or you can just take any class you want and get a friend or coworker to hang out and practice some skills on day and sign eachothers paperwork.

Be careful doing this. We've had some of our employees get their books kicked back for verification.

To answer the OP question, what kind of classes are you looking for? What cert level are you?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone on here that runs classes which apply towards IDHS "in service" training hours?

Thanks!

We don't have a provider number from the state, so we probably can't help you with in service training, BUT . . . we do have two guys who are certified by AHA to recertify medical professionals in CPR/AED if that is needed.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Be careful doing this. We've had some of our employees get their books kicked back for verification.

To answer the OP question, what kind of classes are you looking for? What cert level are you?

Really? I've been an EMT since 1988 and I've never had mine kicked back and I've often had fellow EMTs sign off for hours when we've done training.

Of course, the last few years most of the people signing my sheet have been PIs and it's been while I was helping test EMT students for the state practicals.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Really? I've been an EMT since 1988 and I've never had mine kicked back and I've often had fellow EMTs sign off for hours when we've done training.

Of course, the last few years most of the people signing my sheet have been PIs and it's been while I was helping test EMT students for the state practicals.

Unfortunately yes. I don't know if it was just random audits or if they specifically checked these submissions. The good thing was they ended up being fine, but word to the wise!

I should add that these were Paramedic certs I'm talking about. I think they look a little harder at these than they do EMT-B certs. I KNOW they check up on we as Training Institutions. From my point of view the EMS Commission has been trying to tighten up the rules, which isn't a bad thing by any means.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County

I'm at the bottom of the totem pole. :D EMS-First Responder

I've been thinking of taking a "violent trauma" type of class. My employer sent me through the First Responder training. It's not my primary job duties (so I don't have a daily exposure), its an industrial setting, and a very safety conscious company, so ideally, and hopefully, I'll never be needed. That does however, leave me limited with honing skills. They do take care of our in service training, so it's not necessary that a class would count towards my total, but I thought it would be nice if it did.

I'm basically brand new at all of this. I'm simply looking to expand and practice my skill set.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    It's time consuming but look to join a local volunteer fire department or rescue squad. They will most likely offer all the hours you could ever want.

I would also suggest looking for a local 1st Responder or EMT-Basic class that is in progress. You may be able to get into some of their practice time which would allow you to get hours and skills signed off on.

I assist with the EMT-B class that my employer teaches and we allow past students and local volunteers to sit in on the classes, free of charge, (for hours) and to come assist and practice with skills to get signed off on skills.

You could also try to find a state practical test for First Responder or EMT-B. If they allow you to assist with the test then you can count that as hours and possibly get signed off on skills

I've been thinking of taking a "violent trauma" type of class.

Not really necessary and probably impossible to find, in my opinion. If you are looking to expand your skill set, then I suggest taking an EMT-Basic course.

Remember how to treat the basics of trauma (bandaging to slow/stop bleeding, treating for shock, splinting to stabilize musculoskeletal injuries, and in the end just keeping them breathing) and you should be good to go.

Look at your industrial setting and try to come up with possible traumatic situations (arm in press, crush injuries, traumatic asphyxiation, etc) and then come up with a plan to deal with these situations.

When I think of "violent trauma" especially in the industrial setting I usually just think of picking up the pieces and mopping up the mess.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I would also suggest looking for a local 1st Responder or EMT-Basic class that is in progress. You may be able to get into some of their practice time which would allow you to get hours and skills signed off on.

You could also try to find a state practical test for First Responder or EMT-B. If they allow you to assist with the test then you can count that as hours and possibly get signed off on skills

This is good advice. I don't currently have a class going on or you would be more than welcome to come here. I know of no classes that would turn you away to come sit in on for hours. If they do, it's because it's either a private class (like a fire dept recruit class), or they aren't doing things correctly and don't want outside people to know it.

If you go here you can look at the current and future classes and contact the instructors to see if you can attend any of their class sessions. The website is horrible to navigate so don't get lost in it!

If you have any questions I'd be glad to help you out. Shoot me a PM if I can be of assistance.

Top Bottom