• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Comcast sent me a (snail mail) notice saying I need to upgrade my Internet and voice modem. I would like to eliminate the phone line all together and purchase my own Internet modem to eliminate the monthly fee. However, at this time, I'm not ready to do either of those moves.

Should I go ahead and get their "free of charge" new modem for a few months until I am prepared to port my phone to another service and buy a modem? Should I muddle through with my old equipment that seems to be working fine? Maybe I can attribute the occasional Internet service blip to the old equipment? Maybe the new stuff will be completely consistent and much faster?

I have not went to the URL to attempt to upgrade the equipment as of yet. I wonder if getting the new equipment requires me to be in any sort of a contract?

Recommendation of makes and models of equipment for my own purchase would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I upgraded my modem from them when I received the email and my speeds increased by 10-15 Mbs. I had an old DOCSIS 1.0 modem which I believe to be partly the issue. If its free I say go for it, shouldnt hurt anything either as I was not under any kind of contract. Im not even sure comcast has contracts, someone else could help with that one.

As far as your own equipment, what kind of use do you get out of the internet now? Are you just surfing or do you have multiple streaming services going on at once, do you do a lot of uploading, etc.

jh101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Carmel
    I upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 with a Motorola SB6120. Believe I bought it at Fry's for about $70 a year or so ago. I didn't want to rent from Comcast. The new modem not only helped with speed but my service stopped dropping so much. I did go with the upgraded internet speed. The Blast package I think.

I also went the route of using OBI 100 for my phone service. Making sure your address shows up correctly on 911 is an issue. There are some workarounds. I'm using a service called Callcentric. I think I pay around $5 a month for that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... do you have multiple streaming services going on at once...

Yes. It's not uncommon for me to have a news service or two streaming video with the sound down and listening to a YouTube vid, IheartRadio or podcast. Maybe a download or two with a show or movie downloading for later, in the background.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I can't speak to the quality of equipment because I do not possess the expertise for that. What I can say is the last time I renegotiated with comcast to reduce my bill, I ended up with the best deal for the best overall product by getting the "triple play" which includes voip. I didn't really need another phone line because I already had an existing voip service for a home phone line that I could honestly do without. However, it was still the best deal so I took it and used the extra phone line for a fax machine. :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 with a Motorola SB6120. Believe I bought it at Fry's for about $70 a year or so ago. I didn't want to rent from Comcast. The new modem not only helped with speed but my service stopped dropping so much. I did go with the upgraded internet speed. The Blast package I think.

I also went the route of using OBI 100 for my phone service. Making sure your address shows up correctly on 911 is an issue. There are some workarounds. I'm using a service called Callcentric. I think I pay around $5 a month for that.

Is "GRADE A" the top tier plan as far as speed? Anyone familiar with the price for Internet alone at this speed? Is the pricing negotiable for Internet only?

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Is "GRADE A" the top tier plan as far as speed? Anyone familiar with the price for Internet alone at this speed? Is the pricing negotiable for Internet only?

I paid around 150 for that speed with tv and telephone. I had HBO, stars and two hd dvrs which I only paid for one. I have frontier now and the Internet speeds are fine but I think the tv service sucks. That speed is more than enough, which if you understand that's it's bits not bytes and 8 bits make 1 byte you can get an idea of your speeds per second. There are speeds faster than that but I'm not sure who offers it or if it is even offered in all areas.

Last edited:

jh101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Carmel
    No. I think "Grade A" is referring to the internet speed not the tier plan. I have the Blast! package and I think there's a level above it. My bill says $63.95 for internet but I have a package. Not sure how much for a stand alone.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been a "cord cutter" for many years, but high speed Internet is a requirement. High speed is relevant to my rural location, so I assume I cannot expect similar speed to those in the metro areas? I'm not exactly sure where I fall on the speed classification as I started with Brighthouse and Comcast bought them out.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I wanted to go internet only, but Comcast makes that difficult. I'm on a triple play bundle, with basic HD channels, plus HBO, the 50Mbps internet level and the VOIP service. I pay around $95. When I asked about my internet level by itself, they said it would be roughly $80 - $85 per month. Saving $10 - $15 over losing the few channels I record doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so I plan to keep this package until the price goes up in 11 months. When that time comes, I'll probably go down to the 25Mbps level and see if I can get my internet service for $60 or less.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not to thread jack, but when did they start measuring speed in bits instead of bytes? Seems like a gimmick to make it seem like your speed is faster than it really is. 25 megabits per second sounds so much faster than 3.125 megabytes per second. :dunno:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I wanted to go internet only, but Comcast makes that difficult. I'm on a triple play bundle, with basic HD channels, plus HBO, the 50Mbps internet level and the VOIP service. I pay around $95. When I asked about my internet level by itself, they said it would be roughly $80 - $85 per month. Saving $10 - $15 over losing the few channels I record doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so I plan to keep this package until the price goes up in 11 months. When that time comes, I'll probably go down to the 25Mbps level and see if I can get my internet service for $60 or less.

They are lieing. I pay $35/mo for Internet only.

I got the letter about getting a new modem and threw it away. I get the speed I pay for and don't really care to interact with Comcast to setup the new modem.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill

I got the letter about getting a new modem and threw it away. I get the speed I pay for and don't really care to interact with Comcast to setup the new modem.

+1

I pay $40 a month for internet only, and have the 50mb blast package.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure that is for the 3mbps service, the $89.99 is for 105 mbps.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I think that the new "upgraded modem" is in part to turn your home internet into a hotspot. iirc there was another thread on here about it. It's possible to turn off the hotspot function though.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I think that the new "upgraded modem" is in part to turn your home internet into a hotspot. iirc there was another thread on here about it. It's possible to turn off the hotspot function though.

No, it's to get a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. I have an older Motorola SB5101 that is just 2.0. I have their "Performance" tier which is 20Mbps down and 4Mbps up. I wouldn't gain anything by upgrading the modem.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

+1

I pay $40 a month for internet only, and have the 50mb blast package.

How exactly did you guys negotiate the better pricing?
    Do you have alternative high speed services in your area?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just DSL. But I tell them I got something in the mail for UVerse and I feel I'm paying them too much.

This is good stuff. Thanks! What were you paying initially, if I may ask? Did you have to go back and forth or was their first offer that good?
    My neighbor just got Uverse. Her speeds are terrible, but it sounds as if it's still a bargaining tool?

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    My only other option is slow DSL.

Probably just got lucky on the $40 Blast package; I think that was the new customer price, but they gave it to me even though, I was an existing customer.

My year is almost up, I hope I get lucky this year too.

Top Bottom