• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thanks for the advice. I guess once I get in there, I'll make it through.

I was really excited when this opportunity came up. The property is owned by an retired older couple. It's on the far southwest side of South Bend. Their kids have moved away and the deer aren't being hunted like they have in the past. They are starting to tear up their property. I've kinda excited to do this again. And I get to use my rifle my dad bought me for my 40th birthday this year. It's a .243 Win.

I'll be headed out to talk to them next week or so.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Upthread, you've already been given great advice, especially from gregr.
    I've only taken and field dressed four deer so far, but it's not really all that bad once you get the idea how to do it.
    Some key advice is to get a good knife and see that you get it as sharp as possible.
    One of the dedicated field dressing knives (the Wyoming Knife is one example) might be a good choice, but I've used the Buck model 279 Folding Alpha Hunter with excellent results because of the blade configuration and because of the semi-tacky Kraton handle and construction that makes it a snap to clean thoroughly.

51etu9Nj4gL._SL1357_.jpg

Shed all unnecessary layers of clothing and some extra long and extra large gloves that go nearly up your upper arms might be good if you can find them, but I made due with ordinary nitrile gloves that extend halfway up my forearms.
    Others may laugh, but I also recommend the Butt-Out to make the crucial step of preventing intestinal contents contamination from happening, a neat little gadget that you can still get at Wal-Mart - https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Butt-Game-Dressing/dp/B002ECKYSA
    I'm not at all phased by nearly anything that many people would consider gross, so I just approach it much as with mundane farm duties.
    Another suggestion that I found served me exceptionally well was to have a short length of rope (6'-8' should do) to help drag the deer and (if need be) to secure it to whatever vehicle I'll be using to carry it.
    I'd also strongly recommend getting at least one gallon milk jug of fresh water (better yet, get two), a roll of paper towels, and a trash bag so that you can clean yourself and whatever implements you used to dress your deer and have a bag to contain the messy towels for disposal away from the woods.
    Another small investment that I'd recommend is a roll of thick plastic sheeting to put under your deer, something that I have used for my last two deer to cover the bed of my wife's Jeep to prevent any messiness from getting on the floor of the vehicle.
    Maybe you could go hunting with someone else who can field dress his deer right in front of you, both to tutor you and to see if you could bring yourself to do it on your own.
    You might be able to find a processor willing to do it, but most wont' and expressly state that, but (already mentioned above) you are definitely best off getting it field dressed ASAP.
    If you can't find a way to get it dressed, it goes without saying that deer hunting may not be in the cards for you.

EDIT: The main rationale for the Butt-Out is to allow you to take care of the intestine without having to split the pelvis to accomplish the task, making a hatchet or saw unnecessary and preventing you from having to deal with sharp bone splinters that can cut you.

Last edited:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Call the local deer processors and ask if they will field dress , and if so how much. I hunt land in arkansas every year , and for 15 years i gutted all the deer that were taken by my bro and dad also. Then about 5 years ago i decided, you know what, my able bodied dad and little bro and step bro can dress their own damm deer! We have kin folk that make dressin their second job during deer season to boot. The last 2 years i found a good processor thats 15 miles away from where i hunt and will gladly take the guts out for me for an additional 15 dollars. I call the moment i get one, and they say get it here under an hour. As long as i do my part, they do theirs. Oh and i also use a 243winchester. I shoot 80g barnes ttsx ammo. :)

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    A couple more things.

You don't have to split pelvis to get poop chute out. I do it with a 4 inch skinny knife.

Position the deer so the wind blows the stink away from you while working. Even if you do not puncture anything, they have a stink to them.....kinda like a fart from deeeeeeep inside.

Wash inside of chest cavity out once gutted if you have water nearby.

Some processors close early on sundays and during slow times. Always be prepared to gut one that you don't recover until after closing time. This means gut it, drag it, get it home, then fill chest with buttloads of ice and cover with tarp. Unfortunately they don't always fall over dead at POI and you may not get to the processor until the next day.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

I was really excited when this opportunity came up. The property is owned by an retired older couple. It's on the far southwest side of South Bend. Their kids have moved away and the deer aren't being hunted like they have in the past. They are starting to tear up their property. I've kinda excited to do this again. And I get to use my rifle my dad bought me for my 40th birthday this year. It's a .243 Win.

If it were possible, I`d make myself available to you, on call, to come gut it for you, no obligation. Sadly, that would be difficult to make work out timing-wise. It`s really not too bad, honestly. I forgot to mention, but as oldpink said, the sharper the knife the better. Especially for the first cut around the anus. I oftentimes, but not always, use a fillet knife for that initial cut, but any hunting knife is fine. If it`s razor sharp for that cut, it`s not even a chore, and it makes everything upstream a lot easier and cleaner. I carry a couple knives, plus a little Gerber saw. I will use the saw if it`s not a deer I might want to have mounted, to cut through the ribs to open it up all the way past the ribs and up the throat. It makes it easier and safer to cut the esophagus, instead of trying to reach the off hand, alongside a sharp knife, into that small chest cavity to get to it. I don`t cut the pelvis though, since reaming the anus first allows me to pull everything out without that chore.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Upthread, you've already been given great advice, especially from gregr.
    I've only taken and field dressed four deer so far, but it's not really all that bad once you get the idea how to do it.
    Some key advice is to get a good knife and see that you get it as sharp as possible.
    One of the dedicated field dressing knives (the Wyoming Knife is one example) might be a good choice, but I've used the Buck model 279 Folding Alpha Hunter with excellent results because of the blade configuration and because of the semi-tacky Kraton handle and construction that makes it a snap to clean thoroughly.

51etu9Nj4gL._SL1357_.jpg

Shed all unnecessary layers of clothing and some extra long and extra large gloves that go nearly up your upper arms might be good if you can find them, but I made due with ordinary nitrile gloves that extend halfway up my forearms.
    Others may laugh, but I also recommend the Butt-Out to make the crucial step of preventing intestinal contents contamination from happening, a neat little gadget that you can still get at Wal-Mart - https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Butt-Game-Dressing/dp/B002ECKYSA
    I'm not at all phased by nearly anything that many people would consider gross, so I just approach it much as with mundane farm duties.
    Another suggestion that I found served me exceptionally well was to have a short length of rope (6'-8' should do) to help drag the deer and (if need be) to secure it to whatever vehicle I'll be using to carry it.
    I'd also strongly recommend getting at least one gallon milk jug of fresh water (better yet, get two), a roll of paper towels, and a trash bag so that you can clean yourself and whatever implements you used to dress your deer and have a bag to contain the messy towels for disposal away from the woods.
    Another small investment that I'd recommend is a roll of thick plastic sheeting to put under your deer, something that I have used for my last two deer to cover the bed of my wife's Jeep to prevent any messiness from getting on the floor of the vehicle.
    Maybe you could go hunting with someone else who can field dress his deer right in front of you, both to tutor you and to see if you could bring yourself to do it on your own.
    You might be able to find a processor willing to do it, but most wont' and expressly state that, but (already mentioned above) you are definitely best off getting it field dressed ASAP.
    If you can't find a way to get it dressed, it goes without saying that deer hunting may not be in the cards for you.

EDIT: The main rationale for the Butt-Out is to allow you to take care of the intestine without having to split the pelvis to accomplish the task, making a hatchet or saw unnecessary and preventing you from having to deal with sharp bone splinters that can cut you.

Good looking knife there. I really like Buck knives. Although I have a Cutco knife I sometimes use, with the hunter orange handle, I also have the Buck PakLite Field Master Knives, and they are my current favorites. But heck, I also have a Buck 110 Folding Hunter, the Buck 113 Ranger Skinner knife, and a Buck Omni Hunter™ 12PT Knife which is a folder with a camo handle. They`re all, every one of the Buck`s, wonderful knives.

Edit: A buddy told me about a gadget that I didn`t think I`d use, but turns out, it`s wonderful. Outdoor Edge make a thing they call the steel-stick. It`s a stainless steel deal with a hinge in the middle, and when opened up, and placed inside the ribcage of the deer, it spreads the ribcage open beautifully. It makes it more wide open, easier to see everything, and work with. It may be worth a look.

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    OldPink mentioned the Butt Out tool & I agree with him - it's a good tool and I use that also when I field dress my deer and I think it makes the job much easier. His advice on water & tarps was also spot on. The knife I use is this Gerber Moment with the gut hook:

Attachments

• Gerber Moment.jpg
      Gerber Moment.jpg
      2.3 KB · Views: 2

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    A couple more things.

You don't have to split pelvis to get poop chute out. I do it with a 4 inch skinny knife.

Position the deer so the wind blows the stink away from you while working. Even if you do not puncture anything, they have a stink to them.....kinda like a fart from deeeeeeep inside.

Wash inside of chest cavity out once gutted if you have water nearby.

Some processors close early on sundays and during slow times. Always be prepared to gut one that you don't recover until after closing time. This means gut it, drag it, get it home, then fill chest with buttloads of ice and cover with tarp. Unfortunately they don't always fall over dead at POI and you may not get to the processor until the next day.

Agreed with most of this except the washing out with water. Should only be done if gut shot or you made a mistake cleaning.
    And always, always hang a deer before processing (weather permitting, sub 60 degrees.) If it is in the 40s I will hang for a couple weeks or more. You pay a fortune for dry aged beef. why not treat your venison the same way?

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    hunt with a friend , never hunt alone . make his invite conditional on him gutting your deer . I have a 4 wheeler to drag them out . then I hang it from a tree. that's when I start to gut it . I do plenty every year .

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I'll repeat myself from the first page, there really isn't any reason you have to gut the deer at all. Shoot one, tag it, check it in via your phone while in the field and then use whichever one of the gutless processing methods seems easiest to you. It has the side benefit of making it much easier to get the meat out of the woods.

Flyguyxii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Columbus
    I was a lot like you about gutting a deer. When I was younger I was pretty squeamish about blood and guts and still am to an extent. This last hunting season was the first time I had ever gone hunting. On opening day I harvested a nice size deer. I had watched a lot of youtube videos prior to hunting to get an idea of how to gut the deer as well as what I was going to be in for. I was thankful that I was on my father in-laws property and that he was home to help/instruct me on how to gut it. To my surprise it really wasn't that bad. I put on some rubber gloves, used a sharp knife and pulled up my sleeves and dove in. I would definitely recommend watching youtube videos of gutting deer and squirrels. That seemed to help me a lot.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Easy solution here.

1) make the cut down the stomach opening the deer up
    2) stick your face inside and take a huge drink
    3) spend a few minutes puking up things that you are when you were a baby.
    4) continue the job with nothing left to heave up.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Easy solution here.

1) make the cut down the stomach opening the deer up
    2) stick your face inside and take a huge drink
    3) spend a few minutes puking up things that you are when you were a baby.
    4) continue the job with nothing left to heave up.

Should I do a bottle of tequila the night before just to make sure EVERYTHING comes up?

Top Bottom