• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffrey99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Hey guys, newb here. I had a quick question, what the Indiana's laws on assault rifles? I've been told by a coworker that as long as it's only semi-automatic then it's legal. Is that true?

I'm mainly wanting something to shoot for fun every once in awhile but main purpose will be personal protection at home. Is a assault rifle overkill for that? Would I be smarter to go with a handgun? If I go handgun would probably also get my concealed permit. I don't see much point to have one without it.

Or would I just be better off getting a shotgun? LOL I'm not a big gun guy, went hunting a few times growing up. Just want something for protection at home.

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Indiana License to Carry a Handgun isn't quite a "Concealed Permit", as other states have. Indiana allows you to carry a handgun in any fashion you choose. It's more commonly referred to as a "license", also.

For home protection, you don't need a license, but it would still be wise to get one if you ever decide to carry.

ARs and AK's, etc... do not require a license to own. You can purchase and use these freely.

If you wanted a full-auto gun, I believe you would just need to get it through NFA Class 3 dealers. These are legal in Indiana, and do not require a special license to own (only to sell). They have a $200 tax attached to them.

A shotgun would also be a good choice for home defense. I'd say a handgun and a shotgun would work nicely.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    It's a rifle used to assault people. :rolleyes:
    It's related to the "Assault knife", Assault baseball bat", "Assault spatula", "Assault pencil", and any other item that the Press wants to demonize.

But my favorite. The assault guitar.
    amazing_odd_interesting_funny_ak47-guitar_200907231840512189.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    :welcome: to :ingo:! From what state are you moving? :)

IN has a law making possession or firing of a machine gun unlawful, HOWEVER, that is invalidated if you possess it legally under federal law, meaning that if you have your tax stamp, you're good to go.

That's the closest we get to "assault rifle" laws.

We have no laws on types of ammo you can carry, with the exception of "armor-piercing handgun ammunition"... not that anyone sells it to begin with...and really, the only guns our state laws forbid are "sawed-off shotguns", which some of us hope to bring into line with the above-referenced "machine gun" law, in that if you have a Federal tax stamp, you may lawfully own and use it.

(For reference's sake, in case you're not familiar with NFA and tax stamps, to obtain one, you have to submit information, photo, and fingerprints to federal law enforcement along with the money to pay for the stamp... $200.00... and wait a couple or three months for them to do your background check and such-like. The only exception is for a class of firearm known as "AOW" (any other weapon) for which the wait is as long and the background check is identical, but for which the tax is only $5.00. This does not take the place of the NICS check that the dealer runs when you take possession of the firearm, so in essence, you get two background checks before you can take possession, not to mention the one that's done if you also have your LTCH (our state's version of what you call a "concealed permit", though that's a misnomer; as you were told above, you are not required to carry concealed, but you may choose to do so (or carry openly) only once you have the license.) Prior to that, you may transport your handgun cased, unloaded, and not readily accessible in your vehicle. No license is required to transport or carry a long gun.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have further questions, please ask; If we are to believe Col. Jeff Cooper's Four Rules, the only stupid question is, "Is it loaded?" ;)

Again, :welcome: to :ingo:!

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I bought a fully automatic rifle out of the trunk of an ATF agent, do I need to get a permit for it?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I feel as though the OP will be overloaded in this thread. :)

A shotgun for home defense is widely regarded as premier, or is at least very common, and handguns are nearly equally so. Rifles are not found quite as often for their capacity to penetrate. This depends largely on what caliber the rifle is, but the idea is, its better for a missed round to lodge is drywall and struts than to punch into the next bedroom over. Naturally most handguns and shotguns can go through drywall, but its less likely with their lower speeds, and the presences of multiple small shot (shotgun), or hollowpoints (handguns).

Personally, I agree with those philosophies^, and further believe that if you never intend to "take the fight to the enemy", a rifle may not be necessary for Home defense. Moreover, while any weapon take a lot of time and practice to master, a shoulder fired, mechanically simple pump shotgun is a good choice for any member of the house. I like a 20guage for that reason, especially in a Mossberg 500 platform, or single/double barrel breakdown if that's all you can get.

...Inf fact, Kirk will be along shortly to tell you to buy a single barrel breakdown and call it a day. :)

Last edited:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    It's a rifle used to assault people. :rolleyes:
    It's related to the "Assault knife", Assault baseball bat", "Assault spatula", "Assault pencil", and any other item that the Press wants to demonize.

If I use my rifle to defend myself, is it a "Defense Rifle"? :scratch:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Choose your words carefully here.....if you use a gun word improperly the board will come at you like a spider monkey!

:welcome:

I think assault weapon/assault rifle is the only one that would get too much attention (okay mag/clip also). That is because the liberal gun grabbers and their willing accomplices in the press used that phrase as a way to panic the sheeple and give them a solution to a non-existent problem.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Jeffery, your question is not a hardware question but one of software.

What are you most comfortable and proficient with?

Go shooting with some buddies, see what you like, finger a bunch of guns, best of all, go to a class and allow your software to select your hardware.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Good grief you guys are overloading him!!
    1. "assault weapons" as some call them, are not illegal. They do not require a license to buy own or carry (rifles)
    2. Machine guns are legal with a $200 tax stamp and some paperwork, but ridiculously expensive due to year reasons you will learn down the road
    3. You only need a license to carry a handgun. There is no "concealed carry permit" in Indiana"

Top Bottom