• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickPip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Richmond
    So I'm wanting to trade my pistol but I bought it new and it was registered to me. Is there anything I need to do before or while trading? Bos? Paperwork?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    There is no registration in Indiana.
    Just make sure you are selling to an Indiana resident and not a known felon.
    Welcome to :ingo:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There is no gun registration in Indiana. Your only duty is to not knowingly sell it to a felon or other prohibited person or sell it to an out of stater. Some people will ask to see a driver's license and/or their license to carry a hand gun to verify the person is a Indiana resident and some confidence they are not a felon.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    There is no registration in Indiana.
    Just make sure you are selling to an Indiana resident and not a known felon.
    Welcome to :ingo:

There is no gun registration in Indiana. Your only duty is to not knowingly sell it to a felon or other prohibited person or sell it to an out of stater. Some people will ask to see a driver's license and/or their license to carry a hand gun to verify the person is a Indiana resident and some confidence they are not a felon.
    Good advice.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Agreed with the above. The form you filled out when you bought it is only for the ATF. It isn't an actual registration and nobody is tracking what you buy/sell/trade as a private citizen. Some folks ask for a bill of sale as CYA but it's not necessary.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You could always rant about background checks but then put your add on INGO and then demand a background check yourself by asking for LTCH for not only a handgun but a long gun too.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I would atleast do a bill of sale to keep in the safe that documents the transfer of the gun from you to the new owner.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    You could always rant about background checks but then put your add on INGO and then demand a background check yourself by asking for LTCH for not only a handgun but a long gun too.

I would atleast do a bill of sale to keep in the safe that documents the transfer of the gun from you to the new owner.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOL^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Did i say get a background check on the guy? no. I said I would write a bill of sale stating the transfer of ownership. Same as you do if you sell a quad, dirt bike, etc to show that it left your possession and you are not liable for it at that point. I don't remember saying anything about a background check tho.
    Are you for background checks on private sales? And if you are so worried to CYA why not just go through an FFL?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Did i say get a background check on the guy? no. I said I would write a bill of sale stating the transfer of ownership. Same as you do if you sell a quad, dirt bike, etc to show that it left your possession and you are not liable for it at that point. I don't remember saying anything about a background check tho.
    So you are for registration on guns?

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    no. i don't remember saying that either. i am for buying a used gun so its not registered to me and if i decide to sell it making sure it gets documented somewhere that it got sold or traded so when it ends up in some thugs hands 10 years from now and in evidence if some idiot like hillary clinton tries pinning something on me based on not having proof i got rid of it that its not my asss on the line. its called protecting the responsible ones that own guns cause theres too many idiots out there with them giving us the bad name. are you following now?

So you are for registration on guns?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    no. i don't remember saying that either. i am for buying a used gun so its not registered to me and if i decide to sell it making sure it gets documented somewhere that it got sold or traded so when it ends up in some thugs hands 10 years from now and in evidence if some idiot like hillary clinton tries pinning something on me based on not having proof i got rid of it that its not my asss on the line. its called protecting the responsible ones that own guns cause theres too many idiots out there with them giving us the bad name. are you following now?
    So why do you think a piece of paper that you made up is going to CYA. If you are so worried about this why don't go through a FFL.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    because a bill of sale is nationally accepted lol. hence why you can download them off the states website for various things.
    So why do you think a piece of paper that you made up is going to CYA. If you are so worried about this why don't go through a FFL.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Unless it is notarized it is just a piece of paper.

If you purchased it used and then sell it there is no paper trail to you at that point unless you did an FFL exchange.

If it a titled vehicle the title exchange is your bonafides and the bill of sale just verifies when it left your possession.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I'll take my chance arguing with a signed piece of paper vs arguing with nothing lol. I'm not selling or trading. It was only advice to the OP. But since you mentioned it, with a little research, a bill of sale is legally binding. No notary needed.

Bill of Sale Laws | LegalMatch Law Library

If you purchased it used and then sell it there is no paper trail to you at that point unless you did an FFL exchange.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    correct. the bill of sale verifies when it left your possession.

If it a titled vehicle the title exchange is your bonafides and the bill of sale just verifies when it left your possession.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Top Bottom