• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I used to buy and register all my firearms through local dealers and such. Over the last year or so I have started buying from private parties on occasion. At dinner a family member and I got into a discussion about CC and the firearms of choice. During the discussion I was told that if the CCW on you was not registered to you it would be immediately confiscated if you were ever checked by LEO. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me further on the need to register all of your firearms or just your CCW. Thanks in advance.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There is NO registration in Indiana. (ditto in most of the US)

You have NEVER registered a gun in this state with a dealer.

You may have purchased from a dealer but the dealer does NOT share that purchase information with the state. There is no mechanism for the state to maintain a registry of arms. The background check performed by the dealer is NOT a registration.

Whoever told you that information was TOTALLY uninformed and has NO CLUE about the laws.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I guess my thought of registering the firearm at the dealer was the transfer paperwork that you fill out when you buy the firearm. Thanks for the helpful information! I had never heard of having to register a firearm but was not sure 100%.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I guess my thought of registering the firearm at the dealer was the transfer paperwork that you fill out when you buy the firearm. Thanks for the helpful information! I had never heard of having to register a firearm but was not sure 100%.

Glad to help you out. There are a handful of states in the US that do require registration, and registration is a "media darling" that has been pushed by liberal anti-gunners, the Brady Campaign and others as a 'solution' to crime. Still there are only a few states that have such schemes.

There WERE a few states that made you qualify with your carry weapon, and if they issue you a carry license you must carry the weapon with which you have qualified. You are allowed to qualify with more than one gun, and the guns are listed on your carry license. Honestly I am not sure if these laws are still on the books. In any case that does not affect us here in Indiana.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    It sort of is a registration when you buy from a dealer. Say you buy a Glock 23. That gun you bought shows up in a crime scene 10 years later. The BATF will take the serial # from the gun to the company who made it, in this case Glock, then from Glock to the wholesaler it was shipped to. From the wholesaler's bound book, they will take it to the dealer, from the dealers bound book they will take it back to the original purchaser. In sort terms it is a trace, maybe not a registry, but the ATF can and will trace it to you, the buyer. All FFL's keep their bound books and every 4473 for 20 years from the date it was filled out.
    So let's say you do a face to face with someone on that Glock 23, you should always get a receipt and a copy of their drivers license to cover you butt...the atf will ask you how your "registered" pistol showed up at the crime scene.
    Just fyi, ;) call it a registry or whatever you like, atf knows the original owner.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Glad to help you out. There are a handful of states in the US that do require registration, and registration is a "media darling" that has been pushed by liberal anti-gunners, the Brady Campaign and others as a 'solution' to crime. Still there are only a few states that have such schemes.

There WERE a few states that made you qualify with your carry weapon, and if they issue you a carry license you must carry the weapon with which you have qualified. You are allowed to qualify with more than one gun, and the guns are listed on your carry license. Honestly I am not sure if these laws are still on the books. In any case that does not affect us here in Indiana.

I know that Nevada was this way a few years back, I think it still is this way but I am not sure... but then again they let you do pretty much whatever you want as long as you don't conceal.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It sort of is a registration when you buy from a dealer. Say you buy a Glock 23. That gun you bought shows up in a crime scene 10 years later. The BATF will take the serial # from the gun to the company who made it, in this case Glock, then from Glock to the wholesaler it was shipped to. From the wholesaler's bound book, they will take it to the dealer, from the dealers bound book they will take it back to the original purchaser. In sort terms it is a trace, maybe not a registry, but the ATF can and will trace it to you, the buyer. All FFL's keep their bound books and every 4473 for 20 years from the date it was filled out.
    So let's say you do a face to face with someone on that Glock 23, you should always get a receipt and a copy of their drivers license to cover you butt...the atf will ask you how your "registered" pistol showed up at the crime scene.
    Just fyi, ;) call it a registry or whatever you like, atf knows the original owner.

I don't have the url but there have been court cases where having a receipt and the personal info of the exchange/sale of the firearm is MEANINGLESS, LEGALLY for the courts. Meaning the courts will NOT accept that. So there are only 2 routes to go.

1) Do all your sales of firearms via an FFL so that the next buyer's name is on a 4473 and thus the paperwork trail continues (ie. registration of firearm) or
    2) Tell ATF/Police that you sold said gun end of story.

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    Every Wed: Lunch, Cigars, and Guns @ Pine Island Pit Stop Cigar Lounge
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ne_island_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_part_2_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    11-12 DEC 2010 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores in NWI:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...un_and_anti-gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

OTHER INFO
    A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

And you simply tell them you sold it following state and federal law, x years ago. There is no other thing tying you to that crime scene. Just like having you house broken into and guns stolen. You don't have a receipt there, but you didn't shoot any one with them.

It really doesn't legally protect you as much as you think. It does aid in the search for the real perp by one step, I will give you that.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    All of that maybe true about "legally protecting" you, a recipt and a DL copy might not be "enough" in some cases. What I was meaning on the CYA was BATFE agent ask you, ok who did you sell it to then? You say well he was a younger heavy set guy at the last gun show. :rolleyes: If you don't see a license how do you know he isn't from lets say Illinois, now you have violated the GCA. We all know that you don't have to get all this for a FTF in Indiana...but why would you not want to verify that the buyer is from your state to make it a legal deal and not have an answer for who you sold the crime scene gun to?

Now if you are selling this gun to a friend, or relative that you know that is a different story because you know who they are and probably won't forget who you sold it to.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you don't see a license how do you know he isn't from lets say Illinois, now you have violated the GCA.

You are changing your story.

First you said get a copy, now you say "see" a license.

Personally I do not get a copy, nor do I give a copy. But I will let you "see" my DL and my LTCH. You may look at it to prove that I am a legal resident in the state of Indiana. You may also look at it to prove that I have passed the requirements of the ISP as far as being a non-felon. That is the proof you need. You, however, do not have to take a copy of that information, nor do I want to give you (a perfect stranger) that information for your records since I don't actually know you, nor do I know what you will do with that information (like come back and rob my house later).

Lookee no Copy!

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    You are changing your story.

First you said get a copy, now you say "see" a license.

Personally I do not get a copy, nor do I give a copy. But I will let you "see" my DL and my LTCH. You may look at it to prove that I am a legal resident in the state of Indiana. You may also look at it to prove that I have passed the requirements of the ISP as far as being a non-felon. That is the proof you need. You, however, do not have to take a copy of that information, nor do I want to give you (a perfect stranger) that information for your records since I don't actually know you, nor do I know what you will do with that information (like come back and rob my house later).

Lookee no Copy!

I don't have a story to change. Just figured I would pass some information along. I have sold a few guns before I got my FFL in my younger days, and never did anything other than a receipt. I never cared enough to even look or ask for their DL. I was saw a friend at a gun show a few months back, he did the same thing I did years ago to a guy that had a table at the show. He told me which table it was and I happen to know that guy was from Illinois...my friend just broke a Federal law, so we went and got the gun back from this guy. Weather someone gets/sees a copy of a DL is up to them I don't give a darn either way. :D I just know that if a gun I sold years ago to a guy at a gun show shows up in a crime scene that I wouldn't have a clue :dunno:how to prove I sold it to them other than a receipt and I wouldn't have a clue if they gave me their right name or even what state they were from. Everyone has different opinions on what to do to cover their butt, I just am putting it out there for the informed INGOers to make that call. So yes, I see your point about a DL copy, but if they have your name on a receipt they can usually get your address pretty easy, and if you have your SSN on your DL...well that's another thread. :):

Disclaimer...I'm working 12 hour midnights and I'm not a "real" Lawyer, I just play one one the internet! ;)

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    The one thing I always do, right or wrong, for my own piece of mind is to have a signed receipt and identification verifying the state of purchaser or seller. If it is a hand gun I also verify LTCH in addition.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think I will create a firearms registry for all that feel the compulsion to register their firearms.

All I have to do is come up with an official sounding name and a certficate that I can send out after I collect the 20 bucks for the registration.

I think I can see retirement with all the money I could collect.

Hey, I should require re-registration every year, just like license plates...

I just need you guys to stop telling the truth about gun registration on this forum.

Deal?

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I think I will create a firearms registry for all that feel the compulsion to register their firearms.

All I have to do is come up with an official sounding name and a certficate that I can send out after I collect the 20 bucks for the registration.

I just need you guys to stop telling the truth about gun registration on this forum.

Deal?
    Two for the price of one??? Or $20 each one? Man your onto something! ;)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am not going to cut anyone any slack.

It is going to be $20 for each firearm.

I deserve a worry free retirement funded by someone else.

Stay tuned for further details....

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN

Deal?

Could you send a bar code that would really be slick :D

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I actually have a machine that creates a bar code sticker. I could do that easily.

Should we require that gun owners paste the bar code on their forehead?

Or do you think it should be more discrete?

Top Bottom