• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    Ok. I took the stock off my sks to take the factory mag off so I can use interchangable 30 round mags... Then I ran into a problem. I am not sure which pin I need to knock out or what I should do without letting that hammer slam my finger. Lol.

I can follow directions but never heard how to do it and can't figure it
    out... Any easy tips?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Make sure the 'hammer', 'bolt' I believe you're talking about is closed. then take a screw driver or something to press the button down that is just behind the trigger guard. the whole assembly will lift out allowing access to the magazine which is then removed. I believe this is right off the top of my head, haven't done it in a while.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I never had much luck with the 30 round mags with the traditional stock. Also, I found that I could load ammo into the SKS on stripper clips faster than I could reload the 30 round mag.

I PM'ed you a couple of YouTube links for field stripping this SKS. You can take the factory mag off as part of this process.

Just my :twocents:. Good luck...

indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    Cool. Thanks... I also have a Monte Carlo synthetic stock... Also had a little trouble when taking that off it bent the safety in just a tad but I was able to tap it back out with no wear...

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    All the aftermarket SKS removable mags are junk, and not worth the time and money to make them work.

Either buy an AK, or buy an SKS that is made to take AK mags (about $500).

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    All the aftermarket SKS removable mags are junk, and not worth the time and money to make them work.

I have not had a problem with Tapco mags at all. I also bought a Cobray 30 rd mag at a gun show. I had to file a little bit of the lip of it just above the lifter to get the bolt to cycle. There is nothing wrong with making the SKS take detachable mags. I have run about 500 rds through the mags combined and have never had one FTF or FTE. In regards to the OP if you like the look of the detachable mag, go for it.:ar15:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Wrong.

I've read many positive reviews of the Tapco 20rd polymer SKS mags. I own two myself & haven't had a single feed problem. In fact, I just bought three more which should arrive from CTD today.

That said, the removable mags aren't for everyone. As soon as you insert one, you need to be sure the rest of the rifle meets 922(r) requirements.

indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well thanks for the video. It helped a bunchbut appearantly the mag I have isn't interchangable. It's fixed and I had to put it on before putting the trigger assembly back on... I might just switch it back to the factory mag cuz it only fits in the cabinet sideways now. Lol

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    i have a norinco sks with factory stock and use metal 30 rounders. never had a problem with them. as for the plastic or syn. ones they are junk

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Yeah, I had the removable mag on my SKS for about 3 shooting sessions.

That didn't last.

Pain in the A..

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    The thing si if you've ever changed a mag out on an AR or AK changing a mag on an SKS you're going to hate. But, if you haven't then it's not so bad because its the only thing you know. :D

Top Bottom