Question on storing gasoline - is it worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Columbus
    Ex arms are very good mowers. My only complaint is the weight if you mow wet grass with hills or inclines. They are heavy as they are built like tanks. I got the advantage series with 25hp Koehler to keep the cost down. It's does really well on fuel with 11 gallons in the tanks.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    To All,

Thanks for all the input. It has given me something to think about.

To Cwillour,

I agree with the bolded portion. That is where I think I am coming from. I might get it tank in the future and fuel up off season.

To Bigtanker,

Thank you for the marina idea. I did not even consider this as an option. What do you think, ballpark, it would cost to treat 100 gallons of fuel?

To Ar15_dude,

I agree with the summers worth. I will have to watch what the mower drinks before I can come to a good decision.

As far as the motor I will be going with a Kawasaki 726cc FS OR a 30HP Kohler. I don't know which yet. I haven't decided but I think I am leaning toward the Kohler. My Volvo mechanic recommended it.

I agree with the diesel from my research as well but WAY out of my price range!
    When I win the lottery!

To 9mmfan,

I considered the Exmarks. However, when I go to the dealers site there are WAY too many (read more than zero) mowers that say "Call for Quote." I am almost 50 and I do 90% of my research online. Those that don't give me the tools to research don't get my business, period!

I get very annoyed at places that I want to consider buying from and doing business with that won't show their pricing. The generation younger than me is going to put places like this out of business because they are extremely comfortable with the online shopping.

With More's Farm Store I was able to see the pricing on every single Bad Boy they had in stock. This helped me at least look and know what I was looking at switching from one deck to another, one engine to another, and so on without having to "call for quote." This then gave me a starting point to go in and ask more intelligent questions on.

I had someone tell me that the "manufacturer won't let us put up the prices." (I don't remember who).

I don't mean to bite your head off and that isn't my intention! I complained to friends about this. Some industries, and I think big mower stores may be one of them, haven't moved with the culture or technology. Those that adapt will survive. Those that won't, well...

There is one dealer that does Hustler and Husqvarna mowers. I can't find squat on their site for pricing. Very annoying.

I think I will be happy with my Bad Boy mower. I won't use it nearly as much as it is designed for. I may have to upgrade once before I die but that will be it. Maybe not even then.

Regards,

Doug

I work for McGavic Outdoor Power in Kokomo, IN. We sell Exmark, Gravely and John Deere. Whoever told you "Manufacturers won't let you list prices online" is a liar. We list some of our prices online, but the main reason we don't list more is because we simply don't have time to update the website with every price change. Companies change their prices and promotions on average of every 30 days. It is hard for us to keep up with updating the website. Most dealerships are this way, we don't have time because unlike car salesmans where they just "sweet talk" a customer and then hand them off to a financing guy, we have to sell the product, fill out financing forms and get product scheduled for delivery, there is just no spare time to keep all the pricing up to date. If someone wants a price they can simpley Email us or call us and we will gladly give it to them right away.

Now on to the Gasoline issue. Many outdoor power manufactures recommend only letting gas to sit for no longer than 30 days (Untreated) or 60 days (Treated). If it is Ethanol free then you can store it for a year or longer with proper treatment.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    As noted ethanol free fuel is the only fuel you should attempt to store for longer than 3 months. The problem is going to be finding legitimate ethanol free fuel. I work at a large marina on lake Wawasee and every year it becomes more and more difficult for our supplier to acquire true alcohol free gas. Right now we are getting it from Michigan and only at 91 octane. Higher octane is a complete waste of money in any engine timed for 87 octane (but that's another discussion). And at $5+ gallon I know we are still losing our asses on the stuff. We have tested fuel from other claimed "ethanol free" sources (ie other marinas) and the majority of them still contain alcohol.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    North Central Co-op sells 91+ ethanol free gas both at the pump and home delivery. They have 3 locations that I know of that sell it, runs about $0.30 more per gallon.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I use HarvestLand COOP to deliver 91+ octane 100% gas. It is expensive, but handy with all the gas I go through.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Ditto on HarvestLand ethanol free gasoline. I fill a tank with summer gas to use in all my equipment until fall. In the fall I empty it into the truck & fill with winter gas to use in the generator & winter equipment. In the spring it is run through the truck & refill the tank with summer gas.

Top Bottom