Question regarding interaction with trooper...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I am a home healthcare vent nurse by trade, I was stopped at a gas station with my patient while his neice ran in to get a soda...

Anyways, first off we were pissed that the trooper was in the one and only handicapped parking spot, and secondly, I dumped my soda and had the door open cleaning it up with papertowel in the parking space on his immediate passenger side.

First off, the LEO avoided me trying to talk to him, backed up and out of the lot quickly...the real pisser was that he returned not even 60 seconds later asking if I was "Insert patients" name.

I gave my name and job, and he said "good, glad not because his license are suspended".

I then had to give my name and my company's name, and then explAined that I am a caretaker of a quadriplegic patient and that he is insured and that we all are as well.

This LEO did not request pic ID nor did we do anything wrong...

Basically just wondering if this was a lawful run of the plates and questioning considering we did nothing to warrant this stuff. This was last Thursday, probably too late to call and complain...I would just like to not be questioned regarding my patients issues And have to explain to any LEO who we see.

Thanks,
    T

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Yes he can run your plates for any reason. As far as the other stuff, I'm assuming it was the patient's car you were driving. Do you look like the patient at all? If he runs the plate he can see who owns the car and can then check the driver's status. If the owner is suspended then he could make a traffic stop provided you look reasonably like the owner. If the patient is 85 and you're 30 then I would say not. Also, was it a traffic stop or he just walked up and asked you? This sounds like a consensual interaction.

And yes, Gabriel, that's a pet peeve of mine too.

Last edited:

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    In most cases I will not complain if the LEO is at least civil about it. And, yeah, I have my pet peeves too - the handicap spots is a big one with me. If he pulls his weapon without cause, then I am going to complain. I think the guy has the crappiest job in the world and works with the crappiest people on the planet most of the time. So I try not to get riled if they step on my toes a little.

DoubleT - it sounds like your hands were full and this LEO was nothing but a headache. I wonder what his problem is/was.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Should have taken a picture of it as well. Anyone without a placard or plate in a handicapped spot is a peeve of mine.

Yea,it's a BIG peeve on my part too, because I legally HAVE a handicapped placard that we use in Bills car when we go somewhere. We need to get down to the BMV to get one for our daughters car when she takes me somewhere. I don't drive, out of personal choice, not because it's mandated.

When our daughter and I go somewhere, even WE don't park in a handicapped spot, because of the fact that we don't have the placard, she drops me off at the door, and while I go in and get the riding cart, she parks the car. The reverse is true when we're done, I wait at the door while she gets the car an comes back to get me.

This is just a courtesy we extend to other handicapped people who also have a need to park close. Most people don't understand what difficulties we face in day to day living, and walking across big parking lots can really be a daunting task.

While I'm usually the last one to ever complain about a LEO doing anything (I don't know the circumstances of why they're driving so fast, etc., they could be running a call with no lights and sirens, etc.,) THAT would have gotten a call from me. A polite one, just a request that they consider the person they're causing a problem for, not because I feel like *itching them out for the heck of it. That's one thing I NEVER do.

I've always been treated fairly and with respect by our LEOs, here in IN and when I lived in CA as well. So I have no gripes with any of them. Most of the time, were it not for their help, I'd have ended up stranded and wishing one would come by to help me. Which they do very considerately!! Some just run the plate for GP, I don't know why he would have otherwise, because the majority aren't the ogres they're painted out to be. At least not to me.

If nothing else, call and ask, it might clarify things for you.
    Hope this helps.
    7th Stepper

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I see all sorts of people parking in handicapped spots who have no placard or plates(I do). now not saying I do this but keeping a grease pencil handy in your vehicle is great for writing informative messages to the offending vehicles windshield. also grinds my gears when people parked in the striped zones between the parking spots.

Top Bottom