• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    For me S&W, j-frame Model 36 Chiefs Special. I can shoot and reload fairly quickly. I is small. It is mot accurate than I am and RELIABLE!

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Thank you all for your input, this has given me more option to research.

Keep your suggestions coming.:yesway:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    model 36

For me S&W, j-frame Model 36 Chiefs Special. I can shoot and reload fairly quickly. I is small. It is mot accurate than I am and RELIABLE!

I had a 36 and it was a grest "belly" gun. They eventually made an air weight but I liked the 36. I haven't tried but I imagine that they might be hard to find. Note: I had a partner who had a 2" python and would shoot a perfect score with it every time.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    If weight is not an issue the GP100 and SP101 rufers are great. I have both. I think the 3 inch Sp101is an awesome gun.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I carry a 442 often , great gun , all the old school revolvers are pretty cool , I like the hammerless to avoid snagging problems .

The old model 36 & 37's are awsome as well.

I think we have some used 36's & 37's , I will check tuesday and post pricing if we still have them

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    For a comfortable EDC I would recommend a Colt Detective Special, Cobra or Agent. The Colts are small and handy but still carry 6 rounds. The S&W J Frames, Model 36, 60, etc, are a little smaller but still good options, although they only carry 5 rounds. I often carry my Colt Det Special and feel adequately armed with 6 rounds of .38 Special +P. :twocents:
    I love my model 38. When I carry it I have some JHP ammo from Buffalo Bore. Many moons ago I had a Colt Cobra with the light weight frame and hammer shroud. Loved that one as well and thinking about looking at the one for sale on armslist and hoosier topics.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    My dad has an old colt magnum carry.

It feels like a boat anchor in your pocket but it handles hot 357s like a dream.
    I'll second the SP101 though as the old pony guns are pretty hard to find.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a few wheel guns a S&W model 10 (4in), Dan Wesson 15 (8in & 4in), and a ported Taurus 44mag in a (3in). As you can see I do have a few, but none that are ideal for a summer CC like a snub nose.

I've got the snubbie version of your S&W and even with the Hogue on it, I don't have any trouble with CC or OC. Shoots like a dream!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You might also think about looking into an older .44 Special from Charter Arms. I have one and love it. Packs more than enough wallop and fits in any pocket. The Bull Dog and Bull Pug are great little guns.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Smith & Wesson must have made some changes in their pricing strategy of late. Right now it is hard to beat the 638, 442, & 642 as a defensive firearm. Good inventory of these locally and they can be purchased new for around $400 give or take.

Hard to beat the old reliable Model 10. I can't say enough good things about all I have handled.

I have always loved the feel of the Ruger SP101, especially the 3" barreled variants.

I have also owned a couple of Taurus Model 85. These really are nice little guns and unfortunately underrated because they don't say Smith or Ruger on the side.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Remember, if you want a snub nose revolver you have to work within the limitations of the weapon and, above all, buy two. One to range to the range and wear out in training and the other to carry.

There are many good snub nosed revolvers, but since this is the gun culture and the subjective is objective, I prefer the Smith M38/638 as I like a shrouded hammer for carry but like having the hammer for roll checking.

I prefer Craig Spegel stocks or the factory stocks and a Tyler T as the weapon will be around clothing. My ammo is Speer.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    J frames (442) are airweight style, 38 spec is good for pocket carry, or holster. You can install a "hip grip" and not use a holster at all. Hammerless is also a great option. Eliminates snagging on draw. Yes, do practice a bit before carrying, as shooting them is not like a Glock, or 1911A. I do carry a 5 shot speedloader in my off carry pocket. You can still find Colts if you look hard enough. Good Luck.

The Barami Hip-Grip and J-frame (or similar) revolver are the concealed-carry dream setup. :)

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'd suggest you try to get ahold of a Taurus 617 that is ported. Seven shots of 357 in a controllable snub gun. There's only one problem with that model--you'll probably find a 5-leaf clover first. Those who have them don't seem to be selling, and Taurus in their infinite wisdom stopped making that configuration. :xmad:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    First, I would suggest a snub nose with a totally enclosed hammer system. It is true that this means double action only, but I feel that snub nose revolvers could be shot in almost any condition if the hammer system is totally enclosed an protected. The problem with an exposed hammer, spur-less or not, is that something could get between the hammer and frame and block the discharge. The only reason I have a snub nose is because it is small enough to shoot through a jacket or hoodie pocket. There is minimal risk of jamming when compared to say a Glock 27 fired in the same pocket. For women, they could fire it from within their purse. I decided to go with the Ruger LCR in .357. I shot it last month using .38spl. It is very accurate. I think shooting .357 in it would be pretty demanding. However, I see snub nose revolvers as close quarters defense weapons. I have heard them refereed to as "gut guns." It comes from the belief that a snub nose would be your gun to deal with someone who is attacking you (or is going to attack you) and they are within mere feet of you. The thinking is a snub nose would be something you draw and don't even aim and could shoot at waist/torso level because the assailant is just that close. As such, the bullets would most likely hit the gut area.

Taurus and S&W both make a totally enclosed hammer system snub nose revolvers as well. Taurus is the cheapest and mostly has good reviews. There was recently a post on INGO that said some have problems with Taurus revolvers. The LCR is going for $425 at the low point in the Indy area. If you do a quick search, someone did have one posted (just after I purchased mine of course!) for pretty cheap (wanna say $350 or $375). Might do a search in the classifieds to see if it was ever sold.

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Thank you all for all the info on models I have yet to research. There is one thing I should add to my search criteria, I want a revolver with a hammer. I also plan to carry in the waistband or sob, so I don't suspect weight will be an issue.

Thanks and keep your suggestions coming.

Top Bottom