• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    on the 17th of this month I am going to be traveling from Indiana to Louisiana for a couple of days, I have my carry permit from Indiana which I currently live in, im going to Louisiana to visit friends and family, am I allowed to carry my handgun on me concealed, I don't OC cause I don't try to draw attention to myself, ill have my permit with me at all times, also while traveling do I need to have it locked up, or anything special? sorry for the noobish questions I have not traveled with my gun since I moved up here and at the time we had kept it in a safe, I do not plan to bring the safe this time

thanks for the time on responces

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    You're definitely going to want to do your own research on this. USACarry has a pretty good set of resources. I'll let you look at it yourself, but there is definitely a route you can follow that would allow you to keep your handgun on your hip all the way there and back while traveling. You have to obey the laws of each state on the way while you're transiting, of course.

Here is the reciprocity map: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Here are the laws you must adhere to while in LA: Louisiana Concealed Carry Permit Information

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'd also add to pay particular attention to where you're allowed to carry a firearm in each state you'll be traveling to and through. For example in some states, a no guns sign carries the weight of law unlike here in Indiana.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    www.handgunlaw.us tells you what you need to know. I used to go down that way and on to Texas quite a bit. Unless something has changed you should be good to go, even in Illinois [if you go that way] as long as you leave it in the car, out of sight and locked up.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    www.handgunlaw.us tells you what you need to know. I used to go down that way and on to Texas quite a bit. Unless something has changed you should be good to go, even in Illinois [if you go that way] as long as you leave it in the car, out of sight and locked up.

And that's only if you get out of your vehicle (as I understood their law). Otherwise you can keep it where it belongs.

zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    on the 17th of this month I am going to be traveling from Indiana to Louisiana for a couple of days, I have my carry permit from Indiana which I currently live in, im going to Louisiana to visit friends and family, am I allowed to carry my handgun on me concealed, I don't OC cause I don't try to draw attention to myself, ill have my permit with me at all times, also while traveling do I need to have it locked up, or anything special? sorry for the noobish questions I have not traveled with my gun since I moved up here and at the time we had kept it in a safe, I do not plan to bring the safe this time

thanks for the time on responces

Hey Smokle,

Fellow Fort wayne member here.
    My girlfriend and I just went to New Orleans in March. I took my gun with me the whole way. IN,KY,TN,AL, MS, LA.
    No issues, I CC the whole time, the only time I did not carry was downtown NO as they have a law against carrying where alcohol is served, which is everywhere on the streets.

Hope you have a good time down there, and be safe.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I find it odd that people often ask if it is legal to carry concealed in other jurisdictions. The question never seems to get asked about the ramifications about using that concealed firearm in a moment of extreme duress.

Are you not worried about what happens after you produce your gat, that nobody knew you had on you, prior to the cause that made you produce it?

Folks seem to worry more about being discovered carrying a roscoe than the legal ramifications of actually using it. The priorities seem skewed.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I find it odd that people often ask if it is legal to carry concealed in other jurisdictions. The question never seems to get asked about the ramifications about using that concealed firearm in a moment of extreme duress.

Are you not worried about what happens after you produce your gat, that nobody knew you had on you, prior to the cause that made you produce it?

Folks seem to worry more about being discovered carrying a roscoe than the legal ramifications of actually using it. The priorities seem skewed.

In that moment of extreme duress, when I truly need to use the firearm in defense of myself or another, local legal ramifications just wouldn't be a concern.

However, I'd hate to get jammed up on some local law for crossing an imaginary boundary while armed (or having it visible or not visible as the code may dictate) for no other reason than that I was unaware of a restriction.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Read up on the laws concerning establishments that serve alcohol. Some states you can carry there only if not drinking, some don't allow you to carry in such establishments at all. Some like Indiana, don't restrict.

Top Bottom