• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have been giving a lot of thought lately to the way that whenever we plan things, we generally do so through the lens of the familiar. We build our assumptions around maintaining the same basic lifestyle to which we have become accustomed, or as close as we can manage, and rarely consider anything more different than the least variation we believe realistically possible even in a full-blown SHTF situation. There are a number of paradigms that I believe need taken into consideration, and I will grant you that each one will likely create a situation in which for every ten people, there are eleven different answers, but nevertheless, I consider the paradigms in question very important to hold up to scrutiny both for our well-being in the event of a catastrophic event of one type or other, and also for improving our lives on the way to that event, if it even happens.

I am going to start with food. The process of becoming aware and deciding what to attempt to do about it, followed by actually acting on it has been quite a process for me, as I am sure it has been for anyone who has stepped so far out on the limb as to accept that something terribly bad could possibly happen. As with most, my first thoughts started with identifying food that will last until the Second Coming of Christ and figuring out a way to construct a secure domicile with a reliable supply of water, and then 'hunker down in the bunker' until it blows over. The more I think about it, unless a person is willing to sink huge amounts of money into such an endeavor at the expense of other competing spending programs, it is not going to be a workable plan. The bottom line is that it is not easy to do even if one is single, believes it to be a probability, and does not have any expensive hobbies competing with it. From this point, I continued into considering other avenues of sustaining one's self.

Starting from the end and working your way backward is not necessarily the best way to address this situation. In doing so, we generally start from our present standard of living and either deliberately or unwittingly start building our plans on the least disruption possible to that standard of living. In the case of food, that works out to an expectation of dietary variety even if it is from dehydrated food packages. Then we consider how to preserve condiments, and then some variety in drinking material, and then start doing some significant math, assuming that the brochure is reasonable correct about how many meals can be derived from the contents, figure out how to husband supplies for as long as we think the incident may last, and puzzle over all of this while planning on running our kitchen basically the same way we always had only with a much sharper eye on wasting food. After this, we may start thinking of all this plus a garden or some orchard trees. While indulging in such a line of thought, I was also busy considering--in a flashback to my reaction to Y2K--the ages and necessities of the technologies being threatened. When I sorted it all out, my own conclusion there is that electricity was the oldest technology actually threatened, and it had only been considered necessary to have in one's home for something like half a century. Sure, it was over a century old, but for half that time had been considered a luxury. This led me to the first paradigm shift under consideration.

When I applied this line of thought to food in a SHTF, I came to the realization that while preservation and storage are important, they are not necessarily the end-all and be-all. People did manage to survive without canning as we know it, without refrigeration aside from the fortuitous winter weather for storing such things as meats, and without foods with shelf lives longer than the average life expectancy. They also functioned with an entire different understanding of the concept of what constituted waste and how to properly avoid it. In part, I can trace this back to a conversation with my grandfather some 25 years ago. He mentioned feeding garbage to the hogs, and noticed the predictable look on my face. He then explained the difference between garbage and trash, two terms I was in the habit of using interchangeably. Having been introduced to the concept that garbage is food waste and trash is paper, plastic, broken dishes, or anything else which had never been considered edible, feeding the hogs garbage made perfect sense. It also was the gateway into my understanding of the idea that non-waste did not mean that you ate every edible molecule on your plate and/or stored leftovers such as never to throw food away, but rather that you put what you did not eat to a productive use. Operating under a non-storage (particularly of leftovers) paradigm, you can get a great deal of mileage out of feeding hogs food that we would ordinarily throw away unless we were religious savers and consumers of leftovers.

Rather than eating every crumb, we now are moving into a paradigm in which we keep a fairly steady stream of food moving, and we dip from that stream what we need at the time, preserve and store as much as possible as long as possible (keeping in mind we are talking months and not years in most cases), and use what we would generally consider waste to either feed hogs and chickens (yes, they will eat things that in some cases a hog won't eat) or to use as compost. Generally, we buy milk and keep it carefully refrigerated and are careful to use it before it spoils. What happens when you milk the cow every day and can't use all the milk you collect? You have several options. First, you will be separating the cream to make into such products as butter, and the buttermilk in turn will be used for your biscuits and other bread products. You can use surplus milk to make cheeses. You can feed what is left over that doesn't get used otherwise to the hogs, not only sustaining them, but making the meat more tender than it otherwise would be. This general pattern of feeding surplus and/or waste food to animals works with most consumables you may find yourself growing.

There is no reason why you can't grow your own grain crops and grind your own products like wheat and oats for breads and cereals. Corn may be a bit tricky given the near omnipresence of GMO corn contaminating your seed, but it too can be grown and ground into meal or soaked into hominy. There is a book out there published during World War II on using corn as a primary food source which I intend to pick up at some point, but I just haven't got around to it yet. This will take some investment in tools and equipment, but contrasted with buying freeze-dried 'lasts forever' food, it works much like the difference between giving a man a fish and teaching him to fish.

There are a number of unusual and diverse things a person can do toward feeding himself and family, and I am not going to try to prepare an exhaustive list, just encourage you to take the above-mentioned examples as a demonstration of the need to review the paradigms that we tend to accept as truth without questioning them since they have always worked--in the circumstances in which we have lived up to this point. To put these thoughts in a phrase, I would sum it up as saying that in a self-regenerating system, the issue isn't the avoidance of using resources, but rather seeing that when they are used, they are used productively until they are all used up.

Then, perhaps the most important part: If you are in a position to do this, you can start improving the quality of nutrition you are receiving as soon as the harvest starts so that you benefit even if the S never HTF.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I think you're definitely on point here. It's not so much what you store on your shelf but what you store in your brain that will keep you fed long term. Doesn't even need to be a total SHTF situation. Reality is the less number of people a SHTF even effects, the more likely it is to happen. Being able to feed your family after a job loss without having to dip deeply into savings is a big win. It only effects you and your immediate family but the S definitely HTF. Nutrition is so important as we are learning more about the effects of modern farming practices. Knowing exactly where your food comes from is another big win, SHTF or not.

So, if you haven't already done so, I would recommend checking into permaculture and function stacking. Have fun.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    One of the things they used to do in the old days (like Indiana settlement time):
    If you butchered a hog, or had too much butter, or killed a bear, and couldn't eat it all, you got the neighbors in on it. These were people you knew and trusted, and they may have helped build your cabin. You sent them a joint of meat or a pound of butter before it went bad. They did the same for you when they butchered a hog or had too much butter. Could work the same with garden produce. Instead of trying to unload all that zucchini for free, it would be a valuable trade item for those whose crop failed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One of the things they used to do in the old days (like Indiana settlement time):
    If you butchered a hog, or had too much butter, or killed a bear, and couldn't eat it all, you got the neighbors in on it. These were people you knew and trusted, and they may have helped build your cabin. You sent them a joint of meat or a pound of butter before it went bad. They did the same for you when they butchered a hog or had too much butter. Could work the same with garden produce. Instead of trying to unload all that zucchini for free, it would be a valuable trade item for those whose crop failed.

:yesway:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

One other thing to consider, that at least in the south, very poor people or slaves would be given the "inedible," or more correctly less choice parts of animals. I mean, only the very hungry would consider eating chicken gizzards, cow tongue, or pig intestines.
    This isn't unique to Americans, all over the world you can find meals consisting of items poor people have had to make use of to survive.

Kut (still eats the marrow, like his grandfather)

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    I mean, only the very hungry would consider eating chicken gizzards, cow tongue, or pig intestines.

Deep fried chicken gizzards (and livers) like from KFC, beef tongue, and chitlins (pig intestines) is all good eating right now. I also enjoy the marrow too. Personally not the biggest fan of menudo (stomach) though. But I will eat it.

A person can live on those less choice items harvested from food sources. I say waste not want not. Maybe even use those choice cuts as your trade items.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Interesting post. Being rural I looked around at what the land could provide and figured that with knowledge of what I could grow and preserve locally we would get by. Folks living in urban areas will have to make the biggest adjustment as everything is dependent on a system to get food to them.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This is one of the reasons that in my library I have a shelf of turn of the last century woodcraft, camping, and survival books. Back from when people who knew how to do it put together some training programs for folks who wanted to learn.

I also have a box of traps in the garage...I plan on being able to supplement the menu given the need.

As for what's considered some of the less savory meat bits...they used to be considered the choice parts (middle ages before the spice trade) because they added flavor.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One other thing to consider, that at least in the south, very poor people or slaves would be given the "inedible," or more correctly less choice parts of animals. I mean, only the very hungry would consider eating chicken gizzards, cow tongue, or pig intestines.
    This isn't unique to Americans, all over the world you can find meals consisting of items poor people have had to make use of to survive.

Kut (still eats the marrow, like his grandfather)

My grand parents/great G-Parents ate everything that was edible from anything they raised, killed etc.
    If I brought some game home to be cooked it had better be neck shot.
    The woman got PO'd if the guts were torn up and the menfolk wanted the brains. They ate everything.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The way I've looked at it, if there is ever a time when food is hard to get, then other things will also be hard to get.

We have a good food-plan in place, and build on it as time goes by. But there are lots of other "infrastructure" things that go along with food storage. Things like our garden areas, raised beds, and the big rolls of twine to tie up beans, tomatoes and other things. Sturdy tools for digging, hoeing, spading, cutting, chopping, scything, etc. Rain water storage tanks and sturdy watering cans. Add to that, all of the food preservation needs like canning jars, lids, rings, cookers, along with supplies like canning salt, pickling lime, pectin, etc. I even got a new kerosene cook stove that we can use to run the canners if there's no electricity or gas. We also have a dehydrator, but i'd like to get a better one, maybe even build a solar one. This spring, I'm building some better cold-frames using glass instead of the plastic on my old ones, so that I can grow things like turnips and spinach all year long. The glass comes from old storm windows taken from a house that I installed new replacement windows in.

Another infrastructure thing is the pitcher pump I bought to put on my well. Several years ago, I pulled the drop lines to replace the deep well, 2-pipe, set-up with a shallow, 1-pipe, set-up. Since I only needed one pipe for the electric well pump, I added a second drop line so that I can connect that to my pitcher pump. I haven't really given that set-up a real test, but I plan to this next spring, so I can make adjustments or changes if I need to.

We've always figured that if we waited until we were hungry before we started a serious garden, then it was probably way too late. When I think of all that I've learned to do, and not to do, in the twenty or so years that we've been gardening and canning, I hate to think if our kids had to depend on our abilities in the garden for food when they were little. We still have a comparatively small garden, and it's what we have the time for, but any given year, we could easily increase it's size.

Another thing that I've been working on is trying to learn more about seed saving. I've saved beans, pumpkins, turnips, lettuce, tomatoes, and other easy-saving seeds for years, but I'm trying to work some others into my plan that aren't so easy. Corn, for example is more of a chore than you'd think. Sure, it's easy to grow and you can save some kernels, but try to keep the pollen from all those farm fields from crossing with your heirloom white dent corn. Another thing is that, for many vegetables, you can't just let a couple of plants go to seed if you want to keep your strain healthy and viable. I started growing tobacco last year, and even though I will only plant about a teaspoon worth of seeds, I saved about two cup's worth and mixed them together for diversity. This coming year, I'm working on carrot seed.

I've never participated in any kind of self-defense training, and I know that it would benefit me, as lots of guys on INGO will tell you. But, I figure I more than make up for my lack of tactical preparedness with the thousands of hours over twenty years of active food-procurement training.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My grand parents/great G-Parents ate everything that was edible from anything they raised, killed etc.
    If I brought some game home to be cooked it had better be neck shot.
    The woman got PO'd if the guts were torn up and the menfolk wanted the brains. They ate everything.

I can only go so far with that type of stuff. My dad loves pig brains and scrambled eggs. Needless to say, ill pass. Ill eat chitlins only if they're fried and I know who cleaned them, but I can't be anywhere near the house when they're cooking. I do like pig knuckles, and a my mom's pig ear sandwiches are to die for.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We have a good food-plan in place, and build on it as time goes by.

:yesway:

I can only go so far with that type of stuff. My dad loves pig brains and scrambled eggs. Needless to say, ill pass. Ill eat chitlins only if they're fried and I know who cleaned them, but I can't be anywhere near the house when they're cooking. I do like pig knuckles, and a my mom's pig ear sandwiches are to die for.

Dave (believes some things are good for compost and/or feeding hogs)

Did I get the format right? :):

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My people were mostly city-folk, immigrated from Ireland and Germany to Cincinnati OH. And though some were farmers in the old country, very little of the rural life-style and knowledge was passed on to my grandparents or parents.

The only two old-world dishes that I remember are potato pancakes (the kind made with ground fresh potatoes, not left-over mashed potatoes) and Goetta (made with steel-cut oats, ground beef, pork, and spices.) You've never had breakfast until you've had fried Goetta and eggs over easy.

My wife still regularly makes up a big batch of Goetta, but I haven't had a homemade potato pancake in many years. We have the huge drop-leaf dinner table that my grandfather enlarged to seat 10 for every meal. If you look at the bottom edge, there are marks all around the bottom edge from grandma's food grinder that was screw-clamped to the table to grind potatoes.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My people were mostly city-folk, immigrated from Ireland and Germany to Cincinnati OH. And though some were farmers in the old country, very little of the rural life-style and knowledge was passed on to my grandparents or parents.

The only two old-world dishes that I remember are potato pancakes (the kind made with ground fresh potatoes, not left-over mashed potatoes) and Goetta (made with steel-cut oats, ground beef, pork, and spices.) You've never had breakfast until you've had fried Goetta and eggs over easy.

My wife still regularly makes up a big batch of Goetta, but I haven't had a homemade potato pancake in many years. We have the huge drop-leaf dinner table that my grandfather enlarged to seat 10 for every meal. If you look at the bottom edge, there are marks all around the bottom edge from grandma's food grinder that was screw-clamped to the table to grind potatoes.

Any chance we could con you into sharing the recipes?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Recipes would be good!

We also have all the gardening, food preparation, and storage tools. We have a lot of the old stuff that does not require any power. Most folks were throwing those things away as useless while I gathered them in and regularly use them.

For water we have a pond 20 steps from the front door. We also have a fenced in garden to protect it from the local critters.

The plan is that when the current stores we have run out that, with some intelligent rationing (and probably weight loss on my part), we'll be able to start supplementing with an expanded garden and hunting/trapping. But then again since that's the 'best laid' plan...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Any chance we could con you into sharing the recipes?

Goetta is a Cincinnati/German peasant dish, like a lot of peasant dishes it's a meat-extender kind of meal.
    Each summer, they have a big Goetta-fest in Cincinnati, but I've never been.

1 lb ground beef
    1 lb ground pork
    8 cups of water
    2 1/2 cups of Pinhead (steel-cut) oats
    1 large onion, chopped
    1-4 bayleaves (recipe says optional, but for us it's a must. Some substitute sage)
    3 teaspoons salt
    1 pinch of black pepper

Put water in a stock pot and when it's boiling, add salt, pepper, and oats.
    Cook two hours, stirring often with lid on over low heat.
    Then add meat, onion, and bay leaves, mixing well (you might be tempted to add more water, but don't).
    Let that cook for another hour, stirring often.
    Then, pour it into bread loaf pans and set them to cool, then put them in the fridge at least over night.

To fix Goetta, slice the loaf (that first slice is the hardest one to get out of the pan) about 3/4" thick slices, and fry in bacon fat or crisco until crispy and browned on both sides.
    Careful frying, since the little grains of oats can randomly pop and spray hot grease. Serve with eggs, fried over-easy.

I've never made Potato pancakes myself, but now that I'm thinking about it, I think I'll find a recipe online and try to make some this weekend.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom