• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One of the things that will quickly come to mind when considering the implications of riding out the storm is meeting our needs for shelter for a potentially long while, which leads to a number of questions that generally never see the point of serious consideration.

When we trace the history of dwelling construction throughout US history, we will find that there have been incremental changes over time in addition to there having been a split between rural and urban construction for most of that time. In the beginning, log shelters, some hewn and others not, were the rule because that was what was available within the means at hand to construct them. The product was generally drafty and of poor insulative value, but a hell of a lot better than sleeping under the stars, both in terms of personal comfort and keeping the forest creatures at a comfortable distance.

The traditional farmhouse as we think of it was generally large to accommodate large families, had high ceilings and a multiplicity of doors to facilitate ventilation. Insulation was generally lacking as the technology did not yet exist as we know it, and the only real cost was in effort cutting firewood, as opposed to paying for oil, gas, or electric heat. Another feature of this house was that the kitchen was generally a large working area suitable to accommodate the work necessary to prepare large meals as well as the table where the entire family could sit to eat. It generally had a basement, which often had a part set aside as a root cellar. The remainder would provide storage space for stored foods from the growing season, all kept at a cool temperature conducive to long-term storage.

As we moved away from self-sufficiency into an age where the farmer could raise a monocrop for cash and buy food cheaper than he could provide for himself and his family, we saw a trend toward less working space in the house. Improvements in technology, particularly in HVAC, saw other changes like the trend toward 8 foot ceilings and only two or three doors which existed for the sole purpose of serving as points of entry. Less kitchen capacity became necessary over time as food moved progressively more prepared before it left the store, and massive scale home canning became less prevalent. There was also a trend toward city amenities being introduced to the farm, like attached garages and creature comforts displacing the stalwart working spaces of a previous generation.

This leads us to the point where we are today, when the average home is dependent on outside energy, not suitable for large-scale self-sufficiency, and in general designed as a combination dormitory and recreation area rather than a working space of any type. I can see some of what we would call a 'Martha Stewart Revolution' in which the large working kitchen has been rediscovered to some extent, but that seems to be more a plaything for those with plenty of disposable cash than a standard for a family dwelling.

My two questions for you: How would you design a home if you were building from scratch today for general use employing any materials, methods, and paradigms from the mud hut to the contemporary home, including if you choose subterranean or partially subterranean construction, solar power, wind power, any type of windows which are presently available to buy, how would you build your home for general use? Feel free to take a forked approach for a 'realistic' case and an 'I just won the lottery' case. Second, how would you build under the same terms expecting this home to carry you through a SHTF without having electricity, gas, oil, or most any other outside goods or services?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I don't have many thoughts on the matter, but with SHTF in mind a woodstove is a popular, simple, and relatively cost effective solution to a few of the problems mentioned above.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't have many thoughts on the matter, but with SHTF in mind a woodstove is a popular, simple, and relatively cost effective solution to a few of the problems mentioned above.

:yesway:

One other thing I forgot to mention (and was just reminded about) is that in older houses, it was common to build up rather than out. I can see an argument here for taking up otherwise useful space and a factor of technical efficiency in a multistory dwelling rather than a sprawling single-story. I am finding myself hitting that point at which, fact that I like two story houses from an aesthetic standpoint notwithstanding, that stairway is getting really old.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    A 3 1/2 walls buried in the earth with a geo-dome roof up above, solar panels facing southern and western exposure. There would be an escape tunnel or second hidden entrance. I also like the idea of a woodstove, free-standing type that you can also cook on with the exposed metal pipe going up for better heat transfer.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A 3 1/2 walls buried in the earth with a geo-dome roof up above, solar panels facing southern and western exposure. There would be an escape tunnel or second hidden entrance. I also like the idea of a woodstove, free-standing type that you can also cook on with the exposed metal pipe going up for better heat transfer.

:yesway:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I would think a home on the lines of those around the time of the revolution out east would be the 'state of the time' working and family edifice. A large central chimney that started in the basement, and had fire placed on each side at every floor. By keeping the fires burning the central structure would heat soak and provide warmth during the night. Lots of windows with shutters to provide both ventilation and security.

Lexington Historical Society - Home

https://intragarden.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/002.jpg

Here's the general idea.

The basement served as the larder and storm shelter. The massive central masonry provided great structural integrity as well as warmth and cooking which could be why quite a few of them are still standing.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    There was a show from Australia I saw several years ago that was quite intriguing. An older couple had a home in an abandoned opal mine. When they added on, they got the dynamite drills, and blasted a new great room.....of course it helps if you blast the rooms before you move the china cabinet in, but their home was impressive!! Even the 1 foot thick acrylic skylights in different areas were a great addition and bulletproof.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster

There's a geo-dome home close to where we live. It doesn't look huge on the outside, BUT when I got the tour.....WOW!!! It had a full basement, with 3 wings added to the main dome. It even had an upstairs play area for the grandkids. They are incredibly strong, and if you do the roof right, will last a mighty long time.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Passive solar design.

Highly efficient wood stoves.

While I hate stairs and basements equally, having some sort of second level helps with cooling. Also nice to have a higher vantage point when needed.

I was pretty much set on ICF I now want to read up more on building with SIP's.

Since I am older I am not sure the ROI is there for me on geothermal but it's worth considering. Secondary issue is it requires electricity.

tc556guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My two questions for you: How would you design a home if you were building from scratch today for general use employing any materials, methods, and paradigms from the mud hut to the contemporary home, including if you choose subterranean or partially subterranean construction, solar power, wind power, any type of windows which are presently available to buy, how would you build your home for general use? Feel free to take a forked approach for a 'realistic' case and an 'I just won the lottery' case. Second, how would you build under the same terms expecting this home to carry you through a SHTF without having electricity, gas, oil, or most any other outside goods or services?
    If it was a money is no object thing, I'd go with a post and beam structure. It's the closest thing we have to durable construction forms in residential housing. Most modern construction is depressingly inferior.

It would be located in a rural area, at most a small village and not out in the sticks.
    Contrary to common belief, lone wolfs living out in the middle of nowhere wont make it over the long haul.
    You'll need some form of community to make a successful go of it

Alternate power sources could be solar or hydro with a whole house back up generator for short term power outage
    Enough room on the property for a garden of sufficient size for the household residents and a few fruit bearing trees as well.
    Enough space in the house for living and working, and space on the lot for work or agricultural buildings

The house should have decent space inside it for storage of food supplies, with additional storage outside the home in some form of a springhouse.
    There's going to be some trade offs. A completely defensible structure may not include features like large south-facing windows that would take advantage of solar heating.

In many ways what I am describing is already seen in examples of small farms from the late 19th century, a time when agriculture was still the occupation of half the nation.
    Those models worked for a reason.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    If it was a money is no object thing, I'd go with a post and beam structure. It's the closest thing we have to durable construction forms in residential housing. Most modern construction is depressingly inferior.

It would be located in a rural area, at most a small village and not out in the sticks.
    Contrary to common belief, lone wolfs living out in the middle of nowhere wont make it over the long haul.
    You'll need some form of community to make a successful go of it

Alternate power sources could be solar or hydro with a whole house back up generator for short term power outage
    Enough room on the property for a garden of sufficient size for the household residents and a few fruit bearing trees as well.
    Enough space in the house for living and working, and space on the lot for work or agricultural buildings

The house should have decent space inside it for storage of food supplies, with additional storage outside the home in some form of a springhouse.
    There's going to be some trade offs. A completely defensible structure may not include features like large south-facing windows that would take advantage of solar heating.

In many ways what I am describing is already seen in examples of small farms from the late 19th century, a time when agriculture was still the occupation of half the nation.
    Those models worked for a reason.

Agree with this. It's sad today kids in the big cities think milk comes from plastic containers... and now I've figured out I'm lactose intolerant.....getting old sucks!!!!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I remember reading a piece on a Prepping blog about a guy who wanted to harden up a single story modern frame house. The first thing he did was to pull off the vinyl siding, then he installed steel studs vertically on the outside surface, and then he covered the studs with another layer of plywood, extending to just above the soil. He'd left a space at the top, under the eave and he put crushed stone into the spaces between the steel studs. When he was done, he put the siding back up on the new plywood.

He said that, in his testing, the stone-filled wall was more effective than brick or concrete block at stopping bullets, especially repeated shots in the same spot, while being much much cheaper to build than either brick, block, or cast concrete. He also added steel shutters on windows.

Not sure if it's something I'd ever do, but I was impressed with the ingenuity.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I built a basic stick frame stone wall house, batt and foam insulation. Wood is primary heat and has worked well keeping the house warm without the furnace. Geothermal AC. Instant on generator backed up by 1K gallons of propane. Barring a tornado running directly over the house I think I'm good to go to the end of my days.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I took our church's youth group to Greenwood, Kansas the year after a major tornado went through town, then turned around & came back through. A majority of the homes that were being built were 'hardened' homes, and a vast majority of those were ICF homes. When we came home, I spent some time investigating ICF construction & decided that if I ever built a home, it would be ICF, for certain.

Well, 8 years later, I will be breaking ground on an ICF home in early spring on a country lot adjacent to my in-laws (we are already calling it "The Compound". Home will be 2 story with a walkout basement, ICF from footer to roofline. We are going with a simple farmhouse design that has a relatively compact 1200 sqft footprint, so 3,600 sqft total floor space. ICF walls will be 12" tick (3" foam, 6" reinforced concrete, 3" foam), cement board siding & steel roof w/deep overhangs/eaves.

Hydronic radiant floor heat will be the primary heating method, using an LPG boiler. There will be a wood burning stove in the basement that will provide preheating to the hydronic loop to reduce demand on the boiler. Once we get settled in, I will look into hydronic roof panels to add additional preheat loops. There will also be a forced air system that will run up the center of the house to provide cooling & additional heating, if needed. I hate the idea of spending money on multiple HVAC systems, but central air was non-negotiable - happy wife, happy life.

We have started to get into canning, and will be able to expand our garden significantly once we get moved in. I haven't spent much time looking into water purification systems, but we have a creek that runs along the south side of our property & I have eyeballed that as a source of potable water in the event of a long term power outage.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I have to agree with everyone about the construction.

The one thing I would add to my current home would be a large surface for bread making. It takes time to rise, kneed, and work again...without having to disturb it to move it out of the way or affect the temperature by having it on an unused burner to rise. While I'm up here on Santa's lap, let me ask for a double oven too.

I'd love a large prep surface to place jars after you've boiled them for canning. They need to sit undisturbed and I just don't have a good place. Plus, the added need for storage space for all of the canning supplies just isn't there in a modern kitchen. (ahhh...a girl can dream...)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have considered the canning and some other, well, intense kitchen applications. My favorite answer without a lot of difficult remodeling and construction is to build a summer kitchen. An on-demand water heater, a large albeit not necessarily stylish sink, and a capable albeit not necessarily stylish stove and a refrigerator should do nicely. Add plenty of counter/work space, and you will have it made. It should cover all the needs and keep the mess from the heavy kitchen lifting out of the house.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I vote for a traditional Southwestern hacienda. Three-foot thick adobe walls that retain heat in winter and make it cool in the summer. Enclosed interior courtyards and a well. And minimal exposed openings. Only issue for the Midwest would be the flat roofs. Just add pitched roofs that divert rain and snow to the well, and you're good.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In addition to what is often called a working pantry, I found an idea for a summer kitchen I like. More or less in a large air lock between garage and home. My slant will be more 4 season mudroom with a door to outside with the grill there.

Instead of the typical laundry room sink, I want something more rectangular, stainless and good for a dog washdown.

The heated shop in garage and mudroom in the house will join. Great way to keep mess out of the house.

Also, now that we have a central vac, they are the best. Easier to do the work, dust is in basement or wherever you put canister. I know some good cement guys so stained cement floors with area rugs only. Keeping the house clean is important in the best of times.

Now for an uber cool thing that happened by accident. Good friend built a large home in VA. He put a wood burning stove in the basement. It's a walkout. He also put a dumbwaiter in so he could run firewood in through the basement and then up to 1st and 2nd floors. It is right next to all fireplaces. Pretty smart but that's not the best part. He ended up getting a chimney effect with basement heat from woodstove down there! So if he wants he can open and close doors to let heat rise. This is the one reason I would consider a basement. Even just a partial walkout on one end is enough to achieve this.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If money were no object, I would build a blown-concrete dome house with a full basement (and several exits). With the proper use of concrete and steel mesh - and sealer - such a home would be as insulative as adobe and able to withstand severe weather of all sorts (except floods - but then, I'm not building a home on anything less than a thousand-year-flood plain).

Top Bottom