• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    I have 2, 55 gallon drums that i plan to use for rain barrels. I was thinking in SHTF scenario and there was no running water i would have 110 gallons out back for use. The thing with the barrels is that they use to hold antifreeze. My question is, can anyone tell a safe way to clean them so if need, the water could be drank? I would run the water through a filtering system before we drank it but clean barrels could help some. I have seen in other places that just lots of soap and warm water could help. Thoughts?

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    I think I'd invest in some "clean" barrels. The chance of not getting them fully clean is too great for me. Don't overlook your waterheater a clean water source. Just open the drain valve with a bucket underneath.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Would you consider them safe for rain water to water planets?!?!

Sure. Scrub them out with regular old soap, and rinse well.

I have 2 barrels that contained car wash soap that I use for rain barrels in the garden. I'm not worried about the water at all. With a decent filter, I'd drink the water no problem.

Finding food-grade barrels should be pretty easy if you want to be "sure" they are starting clean. I seem them on Craigslist now and then.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hot water, laundry detergent and Oxyclean mix. Rinse with hot water. 1 or 2 gallons of good old cheap bleach from an Aldi's or like cut price store. The stuff that has a plain label and say's simply, BLEACH in bold black letters. This does not have all the Foo-Foo crap in it and is straight Bleach. Add to the drum and do the hot water thing again. Slosh it around and rinse repeatedly with HOT water. Good to go.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    You can't use non food grade barrels for drinking water. The chemical that is used to release the plastic from the mold is why. The plastic and said chemical bold when the barrel is in the press. The release that is used for food grade barrels is safe for human consumption. Google it and learn more.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Triple wash and you should be good. Fill with water and let it stand for a week. Drain and spray the inside with water and 5% bleach, drain and dry. From that point on, you should be good to go.

If that is too much work, just purchase new food grade ones.......

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Triple wash and you should be good. Fill with water and let it stand for a week. Drain and spray the inside with water and 5% bleach, drain and dry. From that point on, you should be good to go.

If that is too much work, just purchase new food grade ones.......

Pretty much what I said. We have done this many times. If you do not want to drink from them they will be OK for rain collection and watering the garden, cleaning and grey or black water use.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You can't use non food grade barrels for drinking water. The chemical that is used to release the plastic from the mold is why. The plastic and said chemical bold when the barrel is in the press. The release that is used for food grade barrels is safe for human consumption. Google it and learn more.

This is why food products shouldn't be stored in such containers for normal use. But a rain barrel that is constantly being flushed and would only be used for emergency purposes will be just fine. The biggest issue is going to be taste and odor of the water and even then after a thorough cleaning and then a season or two of being flushed by rain and it will be good to go. Once you start getting down to the ppb levels of those types of contaminates then there is no concern at all for the occasional use.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Ethylene glycol or propylene glycol...I have never seen a drum of ethylene glycol
    [I'm sure they're out there] but lots of propylene glycol which is 'food grade' and is not
    toxic. [do not drink it] If it's propylene a good soapy power wash aught to work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ethylene glycol or propylene glycol...I have never seen a drum of ethylene glycol
    [I'm sure they're out there] but lots of propylene glycol which is 'food grade' and is not
    toxic. [do not drink it] If it's propylene a good soapy power wash aught to work.

Ethylene is used in some cooling systems as the exchange medium when mixed with water.
    I work with and around this all the time in my trade. It can be cleaned out of the drum as mentioned up thread.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    If your filtering it after what is the problem? Still clean like posted above. But 110 gallons of water that you have to filter, purify, or distil is better than zero gallons of water in my book.

Btw I have 5 55 drums that were used for tomatoe paste in my basement sitting on pallets full of water.

Top Bottom