• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't think even the CO's know the rules many times.

I had my marlin 44 mag with me last year. Stopped walking out of woods (he drove down the field to me) show tag and caliber of weapon. Next he had me unload and count the rounds of 44 mag. I did and then pointed out that even though I had eight rounds was I not legal to have as many PCR rounds with me as I wanted. His answer was "good question".

I wondered about this. Also how many opinions/interpretations from the CO and dispatch would have to be sorted through before they cite you, erring on the side of caution, to let the court figure it out?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    later this week I will dig up the written reply from the DNR about deer hunting with a second gun.. Like you said above only water fowl prohibits the possession of certain items.. for taking deer with not allowed equipment you have to actually have used it.. not just have it.. & non private property may have additional restrictions on equipment.

Several years ago, I hunted with a .44 Mag., rifle, and at that time, it was legal

to carry a handgun, so I did .....

Same caliber .....

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    No huge deal as ten rounds of 44 mag is more than enough for my hunting style.

It would be very nice if the rules were written in a way that the average "Joe hunter" or average "Joe CO" could understand. Is the ten round rule a new high powered rifle round only regulation or not. PCR in 44 mag with a 44 mag handgun would the extra 6 rounds in the cylinder count as total rounds in the field? That would allow 4 rounds in the rifle for ten rounds. Still enough for my hunting style. The young CO who checked me out did not know the answer. He did check the rounds that I had in the gun. (8) but didn't not check my pockets or anything or ask me to empty them. He was pretty nice guy really. Been hunting that private property for 40 years and the only CO I have ever seen in that time was checking out beaver who had taken up residence in the creek 32 years ago. The 44 mag handgun was in the trunk with a box or two of ammo.

The easy answer is still to take a different round in handgun than rifle but that does make the main reason of carrying a rifle and handgun that use the same bullets a negitive not a positive.

So most likely the 35 rem or 7mm-08 will get the call this year and if I want the handgun also no big deal.

Top Bottom