questions about living outside the city.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    First, the wife and I have put an offer in on a house with some acreage. It will be the first time for both of us living out in the county instead of in the confines of the city. It is in Rush County With a Carthage mailing address. I have a few questions in preparation of hopefully getting the house and moving out there.

1. in the listing, it says "No solid waste pickup". I am assuming that this means, no trash day. There is a burn barrel on the property. I know that I can burn all my papers, cardboards, etc... food scraps and such will go in the compost pile.. any aluminum cans will be saved for a later project... do I just save all the plastics and stuff and make runs to the dump or recycling bin?

2. There is acreage. I have guns. There are natural back stops (steep hills). How do I go about verifying legalities of shooting and eventually hunting on the property? Approximately 3 acres are wooded and on a good sized creek.

3. We would ultimately like to build a garage on the property. Same steps as in the city with building permits and jumping through hoops?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    1. YES.....
    2. County Sheriff, or DNR.....
    3. YES .....

4. OC/CC, range day, cookout, house warming .....

5. If you don't like it, let me know .....

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Thanks.
    As far as 4 goes, we need to get the place first. Lol. Also, I don't know about range days Because of the terrain and woods, there won't be a great place to really set up a range per se. More just a little bit of plinking. :)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    There should be waste services available, you just have to contract with a company to do it. Up here we have two choices, Waste Management or Allied/Able/Republic Waste.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    It's illegal to burn trash, hills make very poor backstops, bullets will skip off dirt similar to the way they skip off water and snow,best to build a wall from railroad ties or logs back filled with dirt.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's illegal to burn trash, hills make very poor backstops, bullets will skip off dirt similar to the way they skip off water and snow,best to build a wall from railroad ties or logs back filled with dirt.
    I don't know that I have ever shot at a range that didn't have a dirt hill/berm as the backstop. If you are shooting into the hill/berm there should be no issue with skipping bullets.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    When I refer to hills that I will shoot into, I am referring to almost 90 degree dropouts. When it is time to shoot and if we decide to make a little range, it will be built up, reinforced and made safe without a doubt.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Other things to remember about living in the country.......

If you call 911, expect a response time of hours instead of minutes.

Just because you call 911 doesn't mean you will get a local dispatcher. My mother called once and got a 911 operator on the other side of the state.

You don't just run down to the store to pick something up. Usually it's 30 minutes or more just to get to town.

Never go home on an empty tank of gas. You might not have enough to get back to town if it's 30 minutes + away.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's as illegal to burn trash out in the country as it is illegal to spit on the sidewalk in the city. You should be OK if you keep it inconspicuous.

I used to live farther out in the county and I had a nice steep bank to shoot into. Just one of the things I miss about that place. If you keep it safe, you will be fine.

You don't have to ask anyone about hunting or fishing on your own land. Just get your license(s).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I only know how it is in Lawrence County but in regards to handling the trash, there are compactor sites around the county that you can take your trash to at no cost. There are private contractors that you can subscribe to and pay them to come pick up your trash--some of my "neighbors" do this. I don't believe LC has any ordinances regarding shooting ranges--let your conscience be your guide. I don't think they have any county inspectors or permitting either, so you can build whatever you want and they only want to make sure they collect the extra taxes.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I only know how it is in Lawrence County but in regards to handling the trash, there are compactor sites around the county that you can take your trash to at no cost. There are private contractors that you can subscribe to and pay them to come pick up your trash--some of my "neighbors" do this. I don't believe LC has any ordinances regarding shooting ranges--let your conscience be your guide. I don't think they have any county inspectors or permitting either, so you can build whatever you want and they only want to make sure they collect the extra taxes.

The OP shows they put an offer on a house in Rush County. They do have a Plan Commission that issues building permits, does inspections, etc.

As for burning trash, it may not be an issue. In our county, it is legal to burn trash as long as it is just paper and no plastics/toxic items and is contained in a burn barrel. We have a couple of companies that do trash pickup and the county has recycling bins where we can take glass, paper and plastic. We are assessed an annual fee of $20 or so for that service, and the county conducts clean up days once or twice a year to get rid of other waste such as computers, tires, batteries, expired medications, chemicals, used oil, etc.

We take all metal and aluminum cans to the local scrap yard and let them pay us for that. I even wash all of our food cans out and collect those to go there. Why pay the garbage man to haul it away when the scrap yard will pay me for it?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At what point in a self-general contracted home build does a county revenuer get more interested than I might like?

There's a video going around of a Hoosier in the country getting his property trespassed on by a "health" official in the presence of a county sheriff's deputy. The result was they decided they didn't like the way he was constructing his septic tanks and leech field and a judge ordered him to sell his land against his will.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At what point in a self-general contracted home build does a county revenuer get more interested than I might like?

There's a video going around of a Hoosier in the country getting his property trespassed on by a "health" official in the presence of a county sheriff's deputy. The result was they decided they didn't like the way he was constructing his septic tanks and leech field and a judge ordered him to sell his land against his will.

There are very specific rules regarding septic/leach fields etc. Permits for septic are very specific.
    I doubt this would result in forced sale of the land. there is much more to this or it is a total hoax.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    There are very specific rules regarding septic/leach fields etc. Permits for septic are very specific.
    I doubt this would result in forced sale of the land. there is much more to this or it is a total hoax.

I agree CM. That video does not share all of the info on what happened in that situation. Septic systems can impact neighboring properties and are required to be inspected before they are used.

As long as you are calling for the required inspections and have completed the proper forms when applying for your permits, you should be good to go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree CM. That video does not share all of the info on what happened in that situation. Septic systems can impact neighboring properties and are required to be inspected before they are used.

As long as you are calling for the required inspections and have completed the proper forms when applying for your permits, you should be good to go.

My BIL had to tear his out and re-do everything from the tank out. We tore it all out (poopy job) but when it came to laying in the leach fields it had to be a contractor. To many specifics.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My BIL had to tear his out and re-do everything from the tank out. We tore it all out (poopy job) but when it came to laying in the leach fields it had to be a contractor. To many specifics.

We did our own, but we had to call the health inspector to inspect the leech fields before we could cover them up.

Top Bottom