• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Seen one of these at a gun shop today for $650.

So can anyone convince me not to go put it on layaway tomorrow? (I honestly don't know nearly enough about the platform to make a totally informed decision yet.)

As for specifics, as far as I could tell, it was a very standard 16 inch model. Had a detachable carry handle. And overall, it seemed pretty smooth.

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have a M & P Model A (flattop, flip up rear sight) that I got just before Obama took office. After a Smith & Wesson rebate, it was $900. Makes sense what alexanjl12 says.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Taking a glance at the pictures, the standard model and the sport model, I'm inclined to say, I'm 'kinda' sure. :P

As far as the tag on the gun, it didn't say it was the sport model either.

What are some of the differences between the sport model and the standard model, and some signs that I can look for to tell the difference between the two if I go back to look tomorrow?

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    [STRIKE]I'm going to guess this was the Sport model also. [/STRIKE]

If not then I'm going to guess that it was probably a used model. If it's new then it is a pretty good deal.

If it's an ORC model, then they probably added the carry handle. ORC don't have a front sight so the carry handle would be good only to carry it.

If it was a new standard model with front sight post and carry handle for $650 you most definitely are getting a good deal. It may still be there if the gun shop is small, but if they have any amount of traffic then it's probably going to be gone by tomorrow.

Last edited:

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    With that price I would say it is the S&W M&P 15 ORC. I bought mine about 6 months ago for $699 at a local gun shop in Valpo.

Now as far as the gun, I love it and dont regret my purchase at all. The only negitave I can say about it is they do not come with any sights, but thats not that bad if you have some extra cash to get them, just rememer to add that cost to the $650. I bought a UTG handrail on amazon for like $40 and the front sight I got off the classifieds here for like $25, plus I also bought an EOTECH 551 a65 which is a great addition to this rifle. If you have any more questions about this rifle let me know. Thanks, Brian.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I have the M&P15 "Sport" with the heavy bull chrome lined barrel. No FA or dust cover. Put on an EOtech and is now my favorite $950 shooter. Rear M&P sight has got to go in lue of a compact folding rear sight, but it's not high on my priority list. My DPMS sits in the back of the safe now.

dsc05521jo.jpg

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    The M&P-15 Sport barrel is neither "bull" nor chrome-lined.

Must be my misunderstanding. I have seen sport barrels that were pencil thin and looked far from chrome lined. This is a much heavier barrel that looks chrome lined. Maybe this isn't a "Sport" then?

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Must be my misunderstanding. I have seen sport barrels that were pencil thin and looked far from chrome lined. This is a much heavier barrel that looks chrome lined. Maybe this isn't a "Sport" then?
    Been reading about them for the last hour and a half. :P The sport models are Melonite lined. Which according to interviews is just as durable? And I imagine the heavier, thicker barrels just look different because most barrels are M4 cut to accept the M203?

All of that, aside from knowing the word Melonite is just guesses on my part from recent reading though. lol ;)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

The M&P-15 Sport only comes in one barrel configuration from the factory, and it's the one in your pic. It's a heavy barrel (as opposed to lightweight or M4 profile), but not "bull" (which is usually 0.85" or larger over the entire length). And it is Melonited inside and out, rather than being chrome-lined.

Been reading about them for the last hour and a half. :P The sport models are Melonite lined. Which according to interviews is just as durable?

Melonite is the same process S&W uses on their M&P pistol slides and barrels. It's plenty tough, but is more of a surface treatment rather than a "lining".

A little light reading:
    Ferritic nitrocarburizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Reading that wiki article, I came away with this quote:
    "is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant"

Am I taking that too much out of context?

Top Bottom