• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vicfirth01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am thinking of purchasing a Norinco Mak 90 Sporter rifle. I have looked on the forum and can't find much info on these specifics. This rifle does not have the 66 in the triangle stamped on the rifle. I have been told that it is important that it is there, but i don't know why or if it matters. Also it looks like the end of the barrel is threaded, but it doesn't make sense because I though post ban rifles didn't have this feature or they were purposely cross threaded. Last thing, the make and maker looks neatly stamped on the receiver, however the word sporter is etched in the metal and looks like a little kid did it right next to where it says Mak 90. Otherwise the gun is very clean. Any info on these questions would be very helpful

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Many MAK-90s had the original evilness scrubbed from the rifle, and yes even the factory stamp was considered evil by that genius of evil, George Bush the First.

Also, because of his executive order directing ATF to enforce the sporting purpose clause of the 1968 GCA, and only giving them hints as to what to do, you are likely to find all kinds of variation in the early MAK-90s and NHM90s that were originally 56S when caught in port. Some had barrel nuts tack welded over the thread, some had the threads ground off. Some were knurled which is why they look cross threaded in an attempt to keep you from installing the evil flash hider.

And yes, some had the new importers name neatly stamped, and the word "sporter" or even just "SP" poorly scribbled on to let ATF know that the rifles were not "evil assault weapons" but were "sporting weapons" incapable of hurting anyone.

Later MAK-90s had the work "SPORTER" roll stamped on the side along with everything else so it looks right.

Some of the caught in port rifles you can see where the original importers name was either ground off, or lined out. Some you can still see the "56S" lined out with "MAK-90" scribbled next to it, or under it on the receiver.

You are likely to find hundreds of variations of the MAK-90 depending on when it came in, the importer who finally got to sell it, and the ATF agent who tried to interpret Bush1 and what the sporting purpose clause really was.

As we all know, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed as long as the arm meets the sporting purpose clause of the 1968 GCA.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    They're great AKs! I've got one I bought long long ago and it's been a good one.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I bought mine in 94 or late 93 can't remember which! But I paid a $194.00 bucks for it out the door!! He had a whole skid full of them!

I had bought mine with the intention of reselling it after the 94 AWB, but I shot it and could not part with it after that! I wish I had bought the whole skid! Great guns! Good luck on your quest! :D

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    that's not a stellar deal, but it's not horrible.

Pre Connecticut you could have purchased one used for around the 550.00 mark. The price goes up if it's pre ban.

They are WAY better than a wasr 10. Certainly one of the best if not THE best shooting from the factory AK's you'll find.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    wow so the $700 I'm about to pay for it, really isn't a good deal then? I'm assuming the Mak-90 is better than the WASR-10 correct?

the norinco is light years ahead of the wasr and $700 is in line with current prices.

Vicfirth01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Alright, I think I'll buy, I like the thumbhole stock for some reason, I didn't think i would, but it fits my hand nicely, and the big bulky stock fits nice in my arm. I appreciate all your help, thanks for help making my decision.

Top Bottom