• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    There is much to be said about the NRA basic course, but with an instructor who does private instruction, it can all be incorporated together for you based on your needs.

Sure the NRA material is covered, but it does not have to be in a boring classroom environment and the NRA basic pistol class includes rangetime.

Its all in the presentment, as with any training. It can be fun and educational or it can be boring and educational.

But that is just the beginning. Then there should come CCW technique. Understanding of basic law concerning self defense. Understanding the psychological and moral ramifications during and after a fight. Then you should definitely continue on with force on force /defensive handgun training.
    Too many people go get a CCW permit, or LTCH and think they have a handle on the situation. Sadly that is not the case and they fail miserably when their time comes.

It is said, When you are attacked you will not rise to the occasion, you will usually sink to the level of your training, and that is true.
    I can teach a 7 year old to shoot paper targets and hit them.

There is more to it when you have one or two thugs pounding you on the back, up against your car or a wall and you are scared and trying to figure out what to do.

Oops, you are dead in the time it took to me to type the previous sentence and you to read it, because you were not properly trained and stress inoculated.

Price of training is cheap payment to win a fight against an attacker !
    Notcie that I say win, not survive. I dont want to survive, I want to win it !

Bruce

www.campbellpersonaldefense.com

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    NRA Basic Pistol is a good course. Obviously it is "basic", but it covers the fundamentals. Instructors have a standardized lesson plan, but I can assure you not all courses are the same. If I were an Indiana resident (Ohio), I would opt for taking an NRA Basic Pistol Course from an instructor that is certified for Utah CHL training. That way you could get reciprocity with more states.

I thought this was an Indiana Gun Owner's Site, Ohio is not reciprocal to Indiana. Why post here?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I thought this was an Indiana Gun Owner's Site, Ohio is not reciprocal to Indiana. Why post here?
    I can't speak for the poster whom you are inquiring to, but it's the internet. You can have people from anywhere join and that is its inherent freedom. I would further propose that allowing to have expertise from EVERYWHERE just contributes to the value of a site such as this one. Sure, many of legal aspects of information may not apply in one direction or the other, but a majority of the rest certainly applies to gun owners from all walks of life. The wealth of knowledge on this specific site greatly out performs that of most other, similar sites I've looked through. On the other hand, there is a good wealth of knowledge on a few other sites too. I would like to see some of those individuals come here to share their wealth that would benefit many of us here. If we didn't allow "outsiders" that would never happen. This is the America, afterall and we should be unified by our common interests/beliefs here. There is no need to draw more lines between the ranks of gun owners than the government and media already try to draw. :twocents:

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    NRA Courses are also available as private training. Those who have never taken a formal course are quite often very weak in their safety and marksmanship fundamentals and the scary part is THEY DON'T KNOW IT! (Men seem to think they were born with a special "shooting" chromosome, lol!) We see this day after day. Get the fundamentals down, then branch out and continue your education. You are embarking on a life-long learning experience. The best thing you can do for yourself is build upon a solid foundation of safety and marksmanship basics. Nobody on the planet (including our military) has trained more people in the SAFE use and storage of firearms than the NRA.

We offer non-NRA private instruction as well. While private training may be "exactly what you want", it may NOT be what you NEED. Start with the basics. You'll have fun and be glad you did it.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm not able to send PMs yet.

IndyGunSafety: I checked out your website...I am very interested in signing up for a course. But I need to know - do you need to have an active gun license to participate in this course? I only ask because it will affect how soon I will be able to sign up. (and if that's a very obvious and stupid question please don't flame me :) )

Thank you!

dirtdawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    SW Ohio

Well- I used to live in NWI, OH borders IN, I work for a company thats HQ is in IN, I often visit IN for work and pleasure, I happen to be an NRA certified instructor (relevant to the topic), and on top of that- I thought I was welcome here.;)

dirtdawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    SW Ohio
    The NRA Basic Pistol course is completely separate from the UTAH CFP course. The UTAH CFP course focuses on Utah law and requirements for carry THERE. We teach the Utah program. They should not be taught together. However, the NRA Basic Pistol Course does meet the requirements of the State of Florida for their License.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info-

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Well- I used to live in NWI, OH borders IN, I work for a company thats HQ is in IN, I often visit IN for work and pleasure, I happen to be an NRA certified instructor (relevant to the topic), and on top of that- I thought I was welcome here.;)

You most certainly are welcome here. Don't let one guy represent the general opinion of the folks on here.

Safety is an issue that transcends state lines And the fact that you have taken the time and effort to become a certified instructor would indicate you are more qualified than many to post here.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yes, the NRA classes are extremely standardized--the instructors are obligated to teach the complete curriculum as provided to the instructor.
    The difference will be in intangibles like the teaching or people skills of the instructor. Likewise, the amount of experience an instructor has will make a difference in their ability to diagnose mistakes and coach the student in fixing them.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm not able to send PMs yet.

IndyGunSafety: I checked out your website...I am very interested in signing up for a course. But I need to know - do you need to have an active gun license to participate in this course? I only ask because it will affect how soon I will be able to sign up. (and if that's a very obvious and stupid question please don't flame me :) )

Thank you!

You do not need an LTCH to take the course. In fact you don't need a gun! We provide everything. If you want to train with your own firearm you certainly may.

Top Bottom