• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy2198

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I've always wondered if it would be leagal for someone to carry a rifle or shotgun on their person just as if it were a pistol. I know its overkill but its still interesting. So heres the questions...

1. Is it legal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun whether open or concealed in public?

2.Do you know, or have you personally carried a rifle or shotgun on your person out in public? Excluding the typical range trip.

I've heard of one person carring an mp5 in a fall away back pack but I have no clue if that was real or just made up. Let me know what you guys think.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    AS long as the long gun doesn't have just a pistol grip you can carry it "anywhere".

Pistol grip only = pistol & LTCH needed.

There as an open carry day in down town Indy, with pics posted here.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    AS long as the long gun doesn't have just a pistol grip you can carry it "anywhere". Pistol grip only = pistol & LTCH needed.

Not quick sure I understand what you are saying on this one and if it is true (ie. can you point to IC on it please).

For example here is a Moss500 that was converted to have a pistol grip on it.
    moss500_2006_0001.jpg

Are you saying that becuase this long gun now has a pistol grip it is considered a "pistol" and for you to carry it in public you now need a LTCH as well? :dunno:

Here is the thread to the march that occured in downtown Indy where people walked with their rifles.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../86880-second_amendment_march_aar_thread.html

Also in Valpo there was several rallies where again people walked/had their rifles.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._carry_laws_re_tomorrows_tea_party_rally.html
    and
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_and_detained_by_le_valpo_obama_protest.html

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS

The next MEET & SHOOT is for OCT (go & vote on the date!)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...10047-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_oct_date.html

Appleseed is coming to NWI on 23 OCT 2010
    2010 North Porter County, IN Appleseed Information

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

On finding a location for more Appleseeds:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Interested in the NWI MSG
    PM Jediagh, GhostOfWinter, or Clif45 your email address to gain access to the Private Google Group

INGO NWI MSG group to learn more about events in our area.
    Please edit your nickname on the Google Group to reflect your INGO nickname.
    Thanks

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    AS long as the long gun doesn't have just a pistol grip you can carry it "anywhere".

Pistol grip only = pistol & LTCH needed.

The pistol grip only applies only to shotguns. Not to rifles.

For the OP:

Yes and Yes.

Most recently in NW Indiana at the Tax Day event in Valpo, both handguns and AR-15's were carried openly. VPD and PCSO were on hand. At one point a few of us were asked for handgun "permits", took 14-15 seconds. Not a word was said about the AR's.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for that clarrification that it's only a SG rule. So that means that any SG that has a pistol grip is considered a "handgun"?

Any shotgun that has a pistol grip ONLY. A shotgun with a pistol grip and stock would not be considered a pistol. I'm at work and the search here blocks out most everything gun related (except INGO, which is weird, but good) so I can't pull up state codes related to guns/firearms.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all so this (see below) would be pistol grip only and thus you NEED your LTCH in order to carry since it would be considered a pistol.
    standard.jpg

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've always wondered if it would be leagal for someone to carry a rifle or shotgun on their person just as if it were a pistol. I know its overkill but its still interesting. So heres the questions...

1. Is it legal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun whether open or concealed in public?

2.Do you know, or have you personally carried a rifle or shotgun on your person out in public? Excluding the typical range trip.

I've heard of one person carring an mp5 in a fall away back pack but I have no clue if that was real or just made up. Let me know what you guys think.

1) Already discussed several times on the fourm.

2) Already discussed several times on the fourm.

But yes to both question. Good luck on getting to your 50 post count!

(Insert purple where you feel its needed)

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I thought that IN called "any gun made or modded to shot with one hand was a pistol"?

So that would include rifles. Not sure what the IC number is, but it has been posted here before.

I will see if I can find it.

I do remember that post also. I.C. clearly stated ANY length barrel

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    1) Already discussed several times on the fourm.

2) Already discussed several times on the fourm.

But yes to both question. Good luck on getting to your 50 post count!

(Insert purple where you feel its needed)

Oh give the OP a small break. He is new to the place.
    Instead of doing the "Already discussed several times.." you could have linked to the other older threads to help him read up on it. :faint:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Oh give the OP a small break. He is new to the place.
    Instead of doing the "Already discussed several times.." you could have linked to the other older threads to help him read up on it. :faint:

Sorry, was just picking a little. Kinda why I still answered his questions and put in the "add purple where you feel its needed."

troy2198

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Valparaiso
    Just trying to learn as much as I can, and this particular form of carry is something Im just started to learn about. Also slowly chipping away to 50 to get to the covited sell/trade section! All i gotta say is at least its not a stupid question like why wont my bullets load backwards into the breech.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Just trying to learn as much as I can, and this particular form of carry is something Im just started to learn about. Also slowly chipping away to 50 to get to the covited sell/trade section! All i gotta say is at least its not a stupid question like why wont my bullets load backwards into the breech.

Yes, I'll admit you are going about it the correct way unlike some of the noobies that just post icons to try and get their counts up. Like I said, I was just picking a bit. Sorry if it came across the wrong way which does seem to happen in text. Just ask my wife lol.
    Anyhow :welcome: 2 :ingo:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Ok, just so I can wrap my head around this:

A shotgun that is Pistol-Grip only is considered a pistol, no matter what the barrel length is? And if so, does one have to be 21 to purchase said pistol-gripped shotgun?

I'll chalk this up to another law made by politicians who have no idea what in the **** they are talking about.

troy2198

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Valparaiso
    From my knowledge if you buy anything that is considered a pistol then you have to be 21. I believe this also goes for shotguns that have just a pistol grip and no butt stock, and the AR's with the short barrel and just adjustable stock removed such as below.
    norm.php

Top Bottom