• ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Ok, just so I can wrap my head around this:

A shotgun that is Pistol-Grip only is considered a pistol, no matter what the barrel length is? And if so, does one have to be 21 to purchase said pistol-gripped shotgun?

I'll chalk this up to another law made by politicians who have no idea what in the **** they are talking about.

I guess it all comes down to what FEDERAL LAW defines as a "pistol". If a pistol-grip only SG is defined to be a pistol by FEDERAL LAW then yes they would have to be 21 to buy from a FFL. (NOTE: you can still buy one from a private party at 18 either way, since IN law allows an 18 YO to buy a handgun. It is only FEDERAL LAW that prevents you from buying a handgun from a FFL under 21).

This law was not made by said politicians. It was interpreted that way by the IN court of appeals:

Converted WP file rhs

I would have to look up the definitions to say one way or another.

EDIT:

Looking at the "definitions" section of Title 18 section 921, it would appear that a PG only SG is a "Handgun" by federal law:

(5) The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder...

(7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder...

(29) The term “handgun” means—
    (A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand...

Unless it falls under some other obscure category.

Any FFL's that might want to weigh in.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just trying to learn as much as I can, and this particular form of carry is something Im just started to learn about. Also slowly chipping away to 50 to get to the covited sell/trade section! All i gotta say is at least its not a stupid question like why wont my bullets load backwards into the breech.

THEY WON'T???

Damn.

MAYBE THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING WRONG!

Once you get over 50 posts you can say all the stupid things you want. :D

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here but it is legal to carry a rifle or shotgun here in Indiana. Technically you could strap a shotty to your back and walk the streets downtown Indy if you wanted.

Now my question for everyone is this: How many people have actually strapped a shotty to their back and walked into a walmart or down the road outside of an OC event? It would be a bit of an experience for sure.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Now my question for everyone is this: How many people have actually strapped a shotty to their back and walked into a walmart or down the road outside of an OC event? It would be a bit of an experience for sure.

Back in June or July I guy posted on here about riding his motorcycle from Purdue to Fishers with a shotty on his back and didn't get stopped.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'd take an OC walk around downtown if someone can figure out a way to put a single point on my M&P 15-22

Top Bottom