• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I am currently looking into a career as a police officer and have some questions regarding the job. I am currently in college but deciding that the path I'm taking is not for me. I want to do something worth while and make a difference. What are the pros and cons of the job? I know hours can be crazy and it's not like it is on tv full of action 24/7. What are things I should consider before making a decision for it? Also, how would your career path change with a associates or bachelors degree in criminal justice vs going in with a high school diploma? I know IMPD salary raises to around 60k a year after 3 years on the force which I find plenty, but what about other benefits and perks that come with? Lastly, what about those of you who are married or have families. Is it hard to balance everything with the crazy hours? I know I'm asking for a lot of info but I'm one to research a lot before making decisions. Thank you for any input or advice you can give me.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Do a ride along or two or three with officers here on INGO and pick their brains. I rode with one last fall and it was a really neat experience. Not at all what you see on any tv show and I saw a whole different side of society that I normally don't get to see.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I have been an officer for over 24 years and still love my CAREER. The pay can suck and the hours hard on the body, but there is no greater high than taking a bad guy off the street. It is nothing like on TV, with constant action and such. Many hours are spent just trying to stay awake on the midnight shift. the idea of a ride a long is a great one. Try different departments on different shifts. I know my department is hiring.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ^^ Agreed. ^^

Ya don't join a PD because of the pay or the perks or any other perceived 'benefits'. Ya join because it IS an often 'thankless' job that needs to be done.

Ya just have to decide if you're going to be one of those who does it.

hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for the replies so far! I do not want to join because of the pay or benefits. The career path I was pursuing paid many times more than this one does, but also seems to me as I would feel more proud of my job as a LEO, and I would rather have that than better pay. I would really like to take a few ride alongs to see what I'm getting into. And also why apply outside of Marion county?

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Because of the increase in political issues. While that is in every dept, its worse at a larger agency in that county. For many of us its a race to the finish line nothing more. Also keep in mind being busy and going run to run to run is fun when your 25. Not so much at 45. Have a back up plan for life after law enforcement and get schooling in some other area as you go along. Once thing you will realize that in a smaller agency there are more opportunities for doing other things that may take you years, if ever, on a larger one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    At least for IMPD, a degree gets you very little. A bachelor's nets you an extra $1k a year in education pay. It *might* help you get promoted. Majoring in Criminal Justice will not help you get hired. The Academy teaches you what you need to know, and depending on the school you go to you may have to "unlearn" some stuff. I took CJ classes as electives, and it helped me have an understanding of case law going in, but otherwise was of little benefit. Wait, I take that back, I did do a class that taught some interview techniques that came in handy, but I got to take more classes on the department so in the end it didn't matter much.

Every department has its pro's and con's. IMPD has good pay, reasonable time off, a non-rotating schedule (which is horrible for your health and family life), and has plenty of opportunities to specialize and try new things. Yes, we're short right now, and yes, everyone's work load has increased. That won't be forever, just like the fat times weren't. I don't have any desire to go work elsewhere, and the politics only bothers you as much as you let it. I'm not going for promotion, I have good supervisors who let me work and insulate me from the brass, and I don't fret over what I can't change.

If you think you'll get away from politics by going to a small department, you're fooling yourself. If anything, its worse for the patrol officer/deputy because you don't have the layers of insulation. Small departments also offer much fewer specialization opportunities. Its tougher to become a K9, detective, EOD, range instructor, etc.

As far as pro's and con's, that's way too much to go into in a simple forum post. Do some ride alongs with departments you are interested in and pick up a few books. "Stoning the Keepers at the Gate" is a pretty good one, as is "Cops Don't Cry" to give you some insight into the mental toll this job will invariably take on you and how to deal with it. This is a great job, and if you can make it work for you its very rewarding. However it is very stressful, not just from the danger but the public opinion, the inevitable lawsuits, etc. If you let it, it can ruin you.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I agree on doing a couple ride-alongs. Do a couple on big departments and a couple on small ones. Hell, you can ride with me sometime if you want.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Become a firearms instructor normally. Show a good solid knowledge of the platforms you use out of the gate. Coming in the door already certified as a armorer is a good start.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Actually BBI thats not always the case. I've worked for small depts. In those cases I had a huge opportunity to specialize and wear many hats that probably never would have happened in a larger dept. Quite often I was the instructor, the armorer and the road cop. Something I had to fight for in a larger dept. By and large its been my experience in 20 years that you have more chances to do more things.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Apply outside of marion county. Fishers, carmel, wesfield.
    Depends on what you want to do. Those are good departments to work for no doubt. I came from a small department. The politics and micromanaging were stifling. I moved to MCSD/IMPD and never looked back. It's fantastic to be a small fish in a big pond. It can still be frustrating but even when they try to micromanage it still isn't like a small PD. But lots like the feel of the small PD. If you want to be on the front line of murders, shootings, pursuits, fights, if you want to catch lots of bad guys, IMPD is great (as far as Indiana goes). As the cliche goes, "It's a front row seat to the greatest show on Earth." After 13 years here, I've just about seen it all. Most recent for me was Greg's shooting. We cleared the house where the 911 call was made only to find the 2 dead women. That was unexpected but just another day. You feel sad for them but then it's time to take another run. If you like getting your hands dirty, we have a spot for you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Actually BBI thats not always the case. I've worked for small depts. In those cases I had a huge opportunity to specialize and wear many hats that probably never would have happened in a larger dept. Quite often I was the instructor, the armorer and the road cop. Something I had to fight for in a larger dept. By and large its been my experience in 20 years that you have more chances to do more things.

BehindBlueI's said:
    Small departments also offer much fewer specialization opportunities.

And if you'd wanted to be K9? EOD? Arson investigator? Helicopter pilot or spotter? SWAT? Homicide detective? Would those departments offer those opportunities as well? No, because those small departments don't have those positions. I stand by my post 100%. There are fewer specilization opportunities on smaller departments.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Really. I stand by mine as well. Feel free to go fly to copter at IMPD. See how long that takes. You're wrong. But we will agree to disagree. I had the opportunity to be a detective, a firearms instructor, a supervisor and a armorer. In one 24 man dept I would have also been the K-9 on top of that if I had stayed. I made the mistake of chasing money and wish I never came here. Those things never would have been done in this dept. You have not been there. Carmel, Westfield and the like present many opportunities like that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Really. I stand by mine as well. Feel free to go fly to copter at IMPD. See how long that takes. You're wrong. But we will agree to disagree. I had the opportunity to be a detective, a firearms instructor, a supervisor and a armorer. In one 24 man dept I would have also been the K-9 on top of that if I had stayed. I made the mistake of chasing money and wish I never came here. Those things never would have been done in this dept. You have not been there. Carmel, Westfield and the like present many opportunities like that.

...and if I wanted to be an armorer on our department, how long would it take? I don't recall many sworn officers in that position, either.

We've had Carmel detectives rotating through doing ride alongs with us for the past few months to learn how to investigate robberies, homicides, and police action shootings. I've gotten to pick their brain about how their department works, their hours, their investigations unit, their equipment, etc. I worked non-sworn for a year with a small county prior to coming to IPD.

I'll be at the range today. Perhaps we can go to lunch and discuss it.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    What are the pros and cons of the job? I know hours can be crazy and it's not like it is on tv full of action 24/7. What are things I should consider before making a decision for it? Also, how would your career path change with a associates or bachelors degree in criminal justice vs going in with a high school diploma? I know IMPD salary raises to around 60k a year after 3 years on the force which I find plenty, but what about other benefits and perks that come with? Lastly, what about those of you who are married or have families. Is it hard to balance everything with the crazy hours? I know I'm asking for a lot of info but I'm one to research a lot before making decisions. Thank you for any input or advice you can give me.

Two post asking the same thing! I'll give the answer I gave there, plus a bit more on this one.

I've always liked being outside and dealing with something different. Looking back I wish I would have done something different though. The job is changing and with technology, it will get to a point where you can't even lightly joke in roll call because everything will be recorded non-stop. Some department south of Indy just issued their officers radios with built in cameras in microphones. While not necessarily a bad thing, imagine the outcry if you were doing something, someone tells a very insensitive joke, and without really paying attention you chuckle just to be nice, not really knowing what the person was saying. Now imagine that being leaked to the media. With this job, you are under a constant microscope and with technology, those controls will just get tighter and tighter.

Pay in the Indy metro area is pretty decent now. Wasn't always that way though. The pension for some is nice, but nothing life altering, plus courts have been ruling against pensions in high debt states. People think Indiana's pensions are well funded, but they really aren't. Don't rely on your pension being there. I have another three years and I'll get a small pension when I hit 60 (which is over 20 years away at my current age). I'm also going to be spending more on a newer, nicer home soon, so unfortunately I'm not in a position now to try other things for the next couple of years. I'm leaning towards HVAC, electrical type work, accounting, but not sure how to go about it or the best places to apply.

Also, becoming an LE can be very restrictive from state to state. It is almost never heard of to transfer with any sort of shift bid seniority. Pay seniority is coming around for some agencies, but not all. Unless one is in the federal system in some fashion, it could be very hard to obtain good employment if one needs to move from their current state. Age also can plan an issue, as well as pension vesting. A few more things to consider. For me, my LE job is just a paycheck. I don't have the issues that some others here have. My daily run load is fairly small stuff and light as well. IMPD has always been run heavy, and have a lot more dangerous situations, on a daily basis. The suburban departments are dealing with the same issues as well. Hell, even some of the rural agencies are having issues, with meth and heroin, lack of jobs, etc. really destroying small and medium population areas.

Top Bottom