• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    As several pointed out Provident is decent, as is Silvertown. Make sure you know what minimum sell volume your preferred cash out company requires. There is no guarantee they will be buying if silver goes to $100 or gold to $5000. The nice thing about 90% "junk" or "constitutional" silver is that many of the older coins are instantly recognizable and in theory could be used for bartering in an extreme situation.

Silver does have some value other than cash as it is antimicrobial and has some other applications but that is a whole other can of worms.

To answer a couple of other questions, dollar cost average over time, with moderate purchases. Keep a small ledger so you know what you have into it, not too detailed, just "$20 face 90% at spot of $12.25 per dollar" and "5 10oz bars at $17.00 per OZ"

Avoid disreputable dealers.

Avoid gimmick coins. An American Eagle or Maple Leaf may command a bit above spot, but the "Limited to 50,000 Star Wars Collectors Silver Round" for $20 above spot is not an investment, in my mind, it is a hobby purchase.

Gain an appreciation of rare coins while you are at it, they have amazing histories and you will see pretty quickly that money tells the tale of the country better than a lot of history books.

My $0.02...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Silver isn't moving, the dollar is.

Yes and no. If I sell my silver right now at 50% more than I paid for it in dollars, I can right now turn around and buy 50% more real goods than I could with the same dollars a few months ago if those prices haven't moved. It's about finding the lags and peaks and lows in the system. When I bought silver at $14/oz, gasoline was $3.50/gallon. Now that silver could buy almost 4x the amount of gasoline it could a few years ago.

Inflation for dollars moves much slower than the fluctuation price of PMs. At least for now.

Silver and gold for me are just another way of diversification and to have another tool for taking advantage of the differences between peaks and lows in pricing for commodities.

portercounty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Porter County
    You're using the logic that the only people selling silver are selling it for dollars and can therefore buy less than they could in the recent past. There is a whole world out there. Just because something doesn't work for your benefit doesn't mean everyone is in the same boat.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom