• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I have not gone to an Appleseed event yet, however I did get my hands on the qualification targets and have been playing with them lately. I have cleaned all the strings individually, but not all together in the same test session. I have been struggling most with the first string, the 100 yard standing portion. Anyone have any tips for the offhand section? I am using a sling, and in the method recommended by the Appleseed program.

Has anyone shot this clean all the way through ?

I also tried the practice test from prone, at 50 Meters, does this truly double to noted distances? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks a ton for the input.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am going to assume you are using a scope, if you are using iron sights then skip to the the part where I wish you "good luck"...:) (None of this will apply)

The first string was giving me fits as well until my instructor made a suggestion that seemed counter-intuitive but it absolutely fixed the problem...Back the power of your scope down as close as possible to 1X and then re-shoot the 1st string.

At a higher power every movement you make is amplified and it looks like the target is bouncing all over the place through the scope. That makes it really tough to make a good showing. So when you back the scope down, that movement will be reduced and your brain will take over and aim for the center of what is in your scope. I shot a 33 with my scope on max power on my first try, and then a 47 using this method and shot rifleman that day so I know it works.

A more experienced rifleman will chime in pretty soon and give you some additional hints. Until then give this a try and see what happens...

I hope it helps!

Good luck,

-Drew

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I have not gone to an Appleseed event yet, however I did get my hands on the qualification targets and have been playing with them lately. I have cleaned all the strings individually, but not all together in the same test session. I have been struggling most with the first string, the 100 yard standing portion. Anyone have any tips for the offhand section? I am using a sling, and in the method recommended by the Appleseed program.

Has anyone shot this clean all the way through ?

I also tried the practice test from prone, at 50 Meters, does this truly double to noted distances? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks a ton for the input.

It is hard to tell what target you are using as we use several different ones. If you are using the "Quick 'n Dirty AQT" and talking about the big top target. One of the problems we see a lot of people having is that they try and shoot it straight through with out resting between shots. I personally shoot 2 shots then relax, dropping my trigger hand to get the blood back into it and letting my support hand drop down to rest. Then pick up again re verify NPOA and shoot 2 more shots and repeat.

Also like Indydrew said we always recommend people turn the power on their scopes down to the lowest they will go. This keeps them from what we call fussing the shot.

Get to a shoot! Sounds like you may be a good shot we can definitely use you.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    For many people (me for one)when shooting off hand, standing, your breathing causes the the pause to be on the upswing of the barrel instead of the downward stoke, which is the opposite of what they experience in the other positions. This could be because of the position of your support arm/elbow.

In my case, I cheat.:D I learned to change my resporitory pause to the top of my inhale for off hand. Plus, I use a hasty sling for offhand, not a loop sling. It is must more stable.

Offhand is 10 rounds, and you get two luxurious minutes. Rest every two shots or so. Don't let your muscles become your enemy. Simply lower your rifle with your support arm downward about 45degrees, but don't break your stance.

Thats about all I can give you without seeing you shoot. Hopefully, we'll see you at a 'Seed soon!

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Thanks a bunch guys.

The gun I am using is a lightwieght 10/22, probably 4.5 lbs with a 2-7x Luepold. I will try turning the scope down, I have done that in other applications in the past but havent yet tried it here.

The target I was refferring to is the "Quick and Dirty" AQT and I am refferring to the big top target, IIRC the string is 10 rounds in 50 seconds.

Mudcat, I am definetly going to try your hand trick, I can see that being very helpful.

Has anyone ever shot the "quick and dirty aqt" with a perfect score?

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Mudcat is the gentleman that told me about the scope power and fussing the shot...he's da' man!

Like they said..."get thyself to an Appleseed", shooting is only half the experience...the history is worth the cost of the class alone...in my humble opinion.

-Drew

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Develop a rhythm. Whether it is two shots or one or three, breath, hold, fire, breath, hold, fire. Work on just releasing the trigger enough for it to engage and then squeeze again.

If it helps, I had the same problem. One day I would shoot good sitting and suck at standing, another I would be off a little in prone. It took time, practice and letting go of my bad habits and doing what the instructors told me to do to bring it all together.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Thanks a bunch guys.

Has anyone ever shot the "quick and dirty aqt" with a perfect score?

You get 2 minutes on stage 1 not 50 seconds. Yes we have had people shoot perfect scores they are rare but it happens. How about 3 in a row followed by a 249.:rockwoot:

I personally have not shot a perfect score been close but not yet. I have shot Rifleman scores with several different rifles from scoped to irons, rimfires to 30-06 semi autos to bolts. Plus right hand and left hand. Everyone loves a challenge.

But the real joy is going out and teaching others how to shoot well and about their Heritage. That is where the real fun is.:rockwoot:

Hope to see you on the trail soon.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Yea I think I can shoot it clean, at least that is the mission for now. As for
    Doing it with bolt guns, 30-06 and military rifles, I ain't even gonna try, way more challenge than I enjoy.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Don't sweat your shots, Mike. Work on your steady hold factors, the 6 steps of firing the shot and getting into your NPOA. Once you have trained your muscles, you'll be able to put your sights on target and close your eyes.
    The shots will be there, I promise.

picture.php

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Thanks guys, suprisingly the 300 and 400 yard strings have gone well, it takes a lot of focus but the time limits are generous and I feel pretty comfortable slung in prone.

Will try more this week and report back.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Thanks guys, suprisingly the 300 and 400 yard strings have gone well, it takes a lot of focus but the time limits are generous and I feel pretty comfortable slung in prone.

Will try more this week and report back.

Or, you could join us out a Redbush in Evansville for the shoot this weekend!

Full distance shooting for the center fires (read that as 500 yards), decent weather, good people, lots of History, and excellent instruction. :rockwoot:

What do ya say? It's going to be a great time:D

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I would love to and fully intend to, however I am located near michigan city, making Evansville about a 5 hr drive, and I've committed to 2 other shooting competitions this weekend :)

I have every intention to do an event, and hopefully soon.

Does the same set of instructors travel all over the state? Or do they each take smaller regions?

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Instructors usually pick shoots they want to do wherever it may be. This weekend in Nashville I was a shooter to re qualify. We had instructors from northern IN. OH. and ID.
    I have done shoots in IN. KY. TN. IL. OH and MO. But the same instruction is used at every location. It may be taught in an individual way but you get the same info. The history is the same story but everyone tells it differently and highlights what they like about the story.

Good luck this weekend with your shooting.

Top Bottom