• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I'll be saving money over the summer to buy a rifle for home defense/shooting/WROL/SHTF blah blah blah. I've thought about AK and while it's still in my mind I'm also looking into an AR as an option, now onto my questions (keep in mind I'm a newbie). First, what is a good quality brand that isn't over a $1,000? I'm thinking Stag, but if you got any other recommendations/comments on brands I can use help in selection. Secondly should I get a carbine or rifle length AR? Third, you got any books or sources to recommend to me about the AR-15 weapons system? Finally, I'd like to hear your reasons why I should choose a AR for the purposes I listed (please don't turn this into an AR vs AK thread :starwars:)
    Any other advice or what have you that you are willing to help me with would be great. :ingo:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    INGO search is a good resource. Do a search for keyword "first" in thread titles in the Long Guns section.

Good ARs under $1k? PSA, Spike's Tactical, S&W, Stag, Bushmaster, RRA, maybe even some entry-level LMT, Colt, or Daniel Defense.

Carbine-, Mid-, or Rifle-length gas system? I'd go Mid-length, or carbine.

bigmich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    I bought a smith & Wesson m& p sport it seems to be a very reliable gun first weekend we put 3000 rounds through it no problems and it is well under a grand

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Palmetto State Armory would be a nice bang for the rifle, high quality product for very reasonable money and Id probably go with the carbine length if your thinking about it for home defence as well.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I went DPMS. Good price, and Ive had absolutely no problems with it.

The main thing is if its Mil-Spec, you are pretty safe. And remember.. AR's are a Man's Barbie®... Accessories are endless, and you can always change/better something.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    INGO search is a good resource. Do a search for keyword "first" in thread titles in the Long Guns section.

Good ARs under $1k? PSA, Spike's Tactical, S&W, Stag, Bushmaster, RRA, maybe even some entry-level LMT, Colt, or Daniel Defense.

Carbine-, Mid-, or Rifle-length gas system? I'd go Mid-length, or carbine.

I've been oogling Spike's website lately and all their AR's seem to run at least $1100. Got any good resources where I can see their lower priced rifles?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Third, you got any books or sources to recommend to me about the AR-15 weapons system?

Yes, there are many. How many would you like?

I would start here:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Two-Guns-Martial/dp/1419601806"]Amazon.com: The Book of Two Guns: The Martial Art of the 1911 Pistol and AR Carbine (9781419601804): Tiger McKee: Books[/ame]

Then I would buy this DVD:

http://www.thunderranchinc.com/images/Store/UR1covLG.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Any other advice or what have you that you are willing to help me with would be great.

My advice? Well, FWIW, you need:

Iron sights, a sling (carry strap, I don't know about the donkey dong single points, not for me), nice reliable trigger, a grip that eliminates the gap, a light or a way to mount a light on it.

I use the Magpul CTR stock but have used the Sully stock and like it to. I like a light gun (thin barrel, no second forward assist, etc.) and use Red Jacket Katanas now but have LMTs and Colts too.

You need a platform for magazines. I use the Eagle M4LE chest rig but there's a thread on different rigs here, a lot of guys use side pouches so it depends on what you are looking to do.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Keep in mind, that at the end of this summer, that $1000 may not go as far as it will right now. What you planned to buy, may not be available. Save the money, then see what you can get for it, when the time comes.

Availability and prices are already getting skewed, and that's not about to abate until this time next year, or later.

You're already late to the game, but if you're sure you're going to be buying a standard AR, you should be squirreling away ammo and magazines right now. IIRC, in '08, ammo & mags were driven up in demand as much as, or more than, actual firearms.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'll be saving money over the summer to buy a rifle for home defense/shooting/WROL/SHTF blah blah blah. I've thought about AK and while it's still in my mind I'm also looking into an AR as an option, now onto my questions (keep in mind I'm a newbie). First, what is a good quality brand that isn't over a $1,000? I'm thinking Stag, but if you got any other recommendations/comments on brands I can use help in selection. Secondly should I get a carbine or rifle length AR? Third, you got any books or sources to recommend to me about the AR-15 weapons system? Finally, I'd like to hear your reasons why I should choose a AR for the purposes I listed (please don't turn this into an AR vs AK thread :starwars:)
    Any other advice or what have you that you are willing to help me with would be great. :ingo:
    I am in Greenfield, also and I reccommend talking to Mark, at Bradis ...

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    get a cheap AK and tons of ammo.

Personally I don't like AK's. I don't like the accuracy of them. I don't like the cumbersome magazines and how it's difficult to hit a target 200 or more yards away.

If we are talking about the weapon most likely to NOT fail on you after long use without much oil and too much dirt, the the AK is the best way to go.

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Keep in mind, that at the end of this summer, that $1000 may not go as far as it will right now. What you planned to buy, may not be available. Save the money, then see what you can get for it, when the time comes.

Availability and prices are already getting skewed, and that's not about to abate until this time next year, or later.

You're already late to the game, but if you're sure you're going to be buying a standard AR, you should be squirreling away ammo and magazines right now. IIRC, in '08, ammo & mags were driven up in demand as much as, or more than, actual firearms.

Yeah my plan as it stands is to save money go to Bradis see what I can get. In the meantime I'm doing as much research as my time allows, and what do you mean by me being late to the game? I'm only 23 just got into gun ownership last year when I got my Mosin.....:n00b:

Top Bottom