• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    6 acres, 3 of them wooded, w/ at least another acre dedicated (devoted?) to agriculture.

Well it's OK with me but I'm not the DNR nor a lawyer :)

If I wanted to apply common sense to it, I'd probably keep an organized file of pics showing my agricultural development, production, and plans. I have no idea if that would carry any weight legally.

Maybe someone here has some experience with being asked more specifically about their exemption?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Would cutting trees for firewood be considered harvesting?

Need the crops grown on the property be sold for a profit to be considered production of timber or crops?

If that's the case wouldn't merely owning the land and having a tree on it be considered production of timber?
    just growing the trees counts as timber.. A single tree surrounded by a lawn would not count.. but 13 acres of trees does count..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Well it's OK with me but I'm not the DNR nor a lawyer :)

If I wanted to apply common sense to it, I'd probably keep an organized file of pics showing my agricultural development, production, and plans. I have no idea if that would carry any weight legally.

Maybe someone here has some experience with being asked more specifically about their exemption?

I have 40 acres of trees, no buildings on it.. it is taxed as forest, I hunt under the landowner exemption.. I do not have to harvest the trees.. I am not allowed to grow row crops such as corn & beans, but it still counts as farming.. DNR CO has been out many times and knows I hunt with exemption.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I am currently zoned and taxed AG, but once we build I believe we will be zoned ag and taxed residential. I will still have 3 acres of woods (timber production?) and a very large garden including a small orchard (crop production?) At what scale is it considered production?

once you are going to build, plot off your house from your other land.. keep your AG land AG then you can hunt on it.

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    Page 4 of the Indiana Hunting and Trapping guide explains it pretty well. I know that I have been checked on my property by an ICO and did not have any problem after explaining that I was the landowner. I only use my land to hunt and camp. It does have a lot of marketable timber.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    once you are going to build, plot off your house from your other land.. keep your AG land AG then you can hunt on it.

Not an option where I am building.

just growing the trees counts as timber.. A single tree surrounded by a lawn would not count.. but 13 acres of trees does count..

Its more incidental than anything, but the back 3 acres are flood plain and full of mostly cotton wood but there are a few oak, and some decent walnut trees as well as sycamores. It doesn't do me any good to use that space for anything but growing trees, so its definitely "devoted" to growing trees. Not a ton of the most sought after trees for harvest, but all trees are timber. I think I would want something in writing from the DNR.

Having to go on a neighbors property to retrieve a deer is a real possibility, but it appears that as long as I can prove that I was hunting from and shot the deer while on my own land that I shouldn't have any problems. I have been told that the CO in my area is a real (bad word)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not an option where I am building.

Its more incidental than anything, but the back 3 acres are flood plain and full of mostly cotton wood but there are a few oak, and some decent walnut trees as well as sycamores. It doesn't do me any good to use that space for anything but growing trees, so its definitely "devoted" to growing trees. Not a ton of the most sought after trees for harvest, but all trees are timber. I think I would want something in writing from the DNR.

Having to go on a neighbors property to retrieve a deer is a real possibility, but it appears that as long as I can prove that I was hunting from and shot the deer while on my own land that I shouldn't have any problems. I have been told that the CO in my area is a real (bad word)

I think there's an acreage limit, like there is for classified forest but don't know the current level. Get a screen for your AC unit if you have a backyard full of cottonwood trees.:)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    no size limit..

and it does not have to be taxed as farmland if it is used as such..

"(a) As used in this section, "farmland" means agricultural land that is:
    (1) devoted or best adaptable for the production of crops, fruits, timber, and the raising of livestock; or
    (2) assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes.
    (b) An individual may not take or chase, with or without dogs, a wild animal without having a license, except as follows:
    (1) An individual who is a resident or nonresident of Indiana while participating in a field trial that has been sanctioned by the director is not required to possess a license while participating in the trial.
    (2) Subject to subsection (d), an owner of farmland located in Indiana who is a resident or nonresident of Indiana and the spouse and children living with the owner may hunt, fish, and trap without a license on the land that the owner owns. "
    - See more at: Ind. Code § 14-22-11-1 : Indiana Code - Section 14-22-11-1: "Farmland" defined; license requirements and conditions

Top Bottom