• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I have decided to get a progressive press due to the volume I am shooting and reloading 350-500 rounds per week (multiple calibers rifle and pistol combined). I am currently using a single stage press and those pistol cartridges are becoming tiresome. The cartridges I intend to load on the progressive are .223, 9mm, 380ACP, 38 Spcl, 357 magnum, and 40S&W. I use several powders for these cartridges including flake, stick, and ball. Having used some friends Dillon 550's both with and without the casefeeder, I have decided I really like that feature.

I have narrowed my choices to either the Hornady LnL AP with case feeder or the Dillon XL650 with the casefeeder. I have been researching this for several months now and my head is about to explode reading and watching various reviews and trying to discern whether some of the problems identified are with the machine or with the user. My friends that have the Dillons the Hornady AP like them a lot and highly recommend their presses. The only complaint I have heard from my friends concerning either press relates to the Dillon Square Deal spilling powder when progressing to the next stage particularly with 9mm and this seems to be applicable to the XL650 as well.

There are features that I both like and dislike about both presses and at this point could go for either and probably be happy. With that in mind, if you own or have used extensively either of the presses in question I would like your input in reaching my decision. Many of these questions relate to sorting out fact from fiction in various on-line reviews.

For the Hornady LnL AP:
    1) Have you experienced powder metering problems? If so, was it limited to a particular powder or powder type?
    2) Have you experienced any powder measure hangups due to lack of a system similar to the Dillon failsafe? If so, was it only with a particular cartridge or powder?
    3) Does the height of the powder dispenser need to be adjusted for each caliber change? If so, do you find it a nuisance?
    4) Have you experienced any powder spillage during the progression from one stage to the next? If so, has this been resolved?

For the Dillon XL650:
    1) Have you experienced powder metering problems? If so, was it limited to a particular powder or powder type? (Note - I have read several reviews that Unique is problematic with the Dillon powder measure)
    2) Have you experienced any powder spillage during the progression from one stage to the next? If so, has this been resolved?
    3) Have you experienced problems priming with specific brands of primers? If so, which ones and has this been resolved?
    4) If you have the casefeeder, under what circumstances is slow speed required?

Thanks in advance for your input.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    For the Hornady LnL AP:
    1) Have you experienced powder metering problems? If so, was it limited to a particular powder or powder type?
    2) Have you experienced any powder measure hangups due to lack of a system similar to the Dillon failsafe? If so, was it only with a particular cartridge or powder?
    3) Does the height of the powder dispenser need to be adjusted for each caliber change? If so, do you find it a nuisance?
    4) Have you experienced any powder spillage during the progression from one stage to the next? If so, has this been resolved?

1) No. The Hornady powder measure is outstanding. It meters all powder well.
    2) No. In my opinion, the Hornady measure is better that the Dillion failsafe... and probably more "failsafe".
    3) Yes. And yes.
    4) No, the press stays clean. I've not experienced any powder spillage at all.

NOTE: I've used Dillons and Hornady LNL AP's in the past. My current set up is a Dillon 550, but with a Hornady LNL powder measure... and I love it!

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    2) No. In my opinion, the Hornady measure is better that the Dillion failsafe... and probably more "failsafe".
    3) Yes. And yes.

NOTE: I've used Dillons and Hornady LNL AP's in the past. My current set up is a Dillon 550, but with a Hornady LNL powder measure... and I love it!

Thanks - BTW, the Forster Coax press you sold me works great and I am keeping it.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    3) Yes. And yes.

the only difference in this answer for me is that I have had some powder spillage, although not much. I use Unique and that about fills up the case. I'm sure if you used a powder like Titegroup that you'd have more space and less spill.

I think you may just be over thinking it. Each press and each manufacturer are top notch. Some do things slightly better or slightly different but I don't think I've ever heard of an owner of either being disappointed with their purchase.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks

Thanks - that is one of the many threads I had read on the subject over the past few months and it does have quite a bit of useful information. My buddy that has the LnL has had it for 4 years and recommends it highly. He is pretty pretty picky about things being just right being a mechanical engineer and having owned and operated a machine shop for many years. Knowing him, if he is happy with it, I am positive I would be as well. Unfortunately, his press is not set up right now and I am unable to see it in action.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I have a hornady LNL with case/bullet feeder and it is ok. Not perfect, but ok. It is excellent with pistol rounds but performance is un-even with rifle calibers in my experience. Shell's don't always slide right into place (I would say every third needs a little help). Also, the bullet feeder is completely useless. Haven't been able to use it since I bought it. Called Hornady and just didn't get anywhere with it and I gave up. If you go with the LNL I would recommend getting the both the LED light and new ergo handle from inline fabrication. Theses are awesome mods that really made a huge impact on my comfort while reloading. Also, the LED light has really helped me catching bad cases before reloading. As far as the powder measures go I have had zero issues

Top Bottom