• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Hello all,
    I am interested in picking up a Swamp Rat RMD but want the impressions of those who have used, abused, and handled the RMD. It looks like a great knife, the only thing I am not sure of is the saber grind (I prefer a full flat grind). Has anyone on INGO been disappointed with the sharpenability of the RMD or have you found the saber grind to be too much steel for this size blade?

Now, somebody is sure to ask me the $100 question...what do you plan to use it for? My answer: outside work, I would like to carry it when/if I go camping, and might be interested in conscripting it into into a large EDC (probably under a jacket).

Swamp Rat has now come out with a "new version" of the RMD: the RMD (CG i.e. Combat Grade). According to SR customer service the differences are miniscule: .05" reduced blade length (it went from 5.3" to 5.25") and an overall length reduction of .25" from the entire knife (some simple math tells me that this was cut off the handle). Does anyone have a violent opinion that these changes will mess up the knife? :D

Also, I am open to suggestions of other knives in the Bussekin family that have about the same dimensions. Any suggestions?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Never used a RMD, just fondled them, but they are a great "do all" size. Swamp Rat's SR101 is very good for sharpability and for resharpening, it takes an edge easy and stays sharp.

Anyway, get it, love it, beat the P-I-S-S out of it, love it some more, and if you find that you don't like the saber grind, send it to Swamp Rat and have them full flat it.

As for other suggestions, what price would you like to keep it around?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got a RMD. It's a great knife. When I first got it it wasn't all that sharp, but some quality time with my stones and now it will shave my arms no problem. And I don't have any issues keeping it sharp.

Get one. You won't regret it. If you're going to EDC it, I recommend a kydex IWB sheath. That's what I used when I EDC'd mine. I've been carrying my Benchmade 375 lately though.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I had a RMD LE, and it was great. I liked how thin the blade was for a Bussekin. Unfortunately, a buddie talked me out of it right before he hit the Appalachian Trail with it. He's put it through the ringer, and it still looks great.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I'm a big fan of the RMD. It is a great sized knife that feels good in hand. I've tried both the saber grind and the full flat grind RMD's, and while I generally prefer the FFG, on this knife, the saber grind works better for me. The extra weight felt a little better.

There isn't much of a difference in the "CG" model. I think they started coming out with so many custom shop variants, they just had to rename the standard model. You can find a RMD in just about any configuration you want these days.

Bottom line, it's a great knife.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I love the RMD! The feel, shape, weight are amazing!

Now to be honest, I didn't buy a RMD, I bought 3! Get one before they aren't available from the shop any more!

And if you want something a little bigger, get a Rodent 6. And if you go that route I suggest calling the custom shop and having them take off the top guard - then its almost a RMD just bigger.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I've got a RMD. It's a great knife. When I first got it it wasn't all that sharp, but some quality time with my stones and now it will shave my arms no problem. And I don't have any issues keeping it sharp.

Get one. You won't regret it. If you're going to EDC it, I recommend a kydex IWB sheath. That's what I used when I EDC'd mine. I've been carrying my Benchmade 375 lately though.

+1 on the benchmade 375. Mine is attached to my back pack and I don't leave the house without it. It was a Father's Day gift from my girls.

I too have wanted a RMD for a while. Looks like a great blade.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you're okay with Resiprene C, Scrap Yard has a lot of blades for under $200, some small, some monster choppers.

There has been a few Busses under $200, but most of them are kind of small.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I'd look at a Rodent 6 also from Swamp Rat. A bit bigger than a RMD, but same steel. From Scrap Yard, you can get just about any of their knives for under $200. The 711 from Scrap Yard is a great knife.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hmm, that benchmade looks sweet! What does a benchmade 375 with sheath run?

The 375 is a good knife. It's not as beefy as the RMD, though, and it's not as suitable for some tasks (like batoning for example), bit it's a much better fighter. It's a little thinner than my RMD and feels a lot thinner in the hand. Of course the lack of handle scales has a lot to do with that. I ended up doing a simple paracord wrap with the supplied paracord, which helped a lot. I tried the wrap that Benchmade has a video tutorial for, but couldn't get it quite right, so I did a more simple wrap.

On an unrelated note, I also have a Benchmade 180, in 440C and Rosewood. I wish they still made the 180. I'd buy another one.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Yup, forgot about that one. The Rodent 6 is one solid knife, you could really give that knife hell :D

Go for a custom shop version without the top guard ;). Only 30$ more. That's a custom one in the middle between a RMD and ESEE 5 (not my pic :()

droid2097.jpg

Top Bottom