• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    All, after doing some independent research about all of the DHS hoopla concerning Ammunition, rifle, and Armored vehicle purchases, I found that it really is happening, it's not all internet hype and conspiracy theory... don't believe me? Browse over to www.fbo.gov, do some searching on opportunities, narrow it to the DHS and use weapons, or ammunition as keywords and then start looking.

I was disturbed to say the least! Since all spending in the Fed. .gov has to go through the House, I wrote the following on Rep. Young's FB wall and used the contact form on his website:

Rep. Young, since all spending is controlled by the house, I thought that I should come to you with my questions as to why the Department of Homeland Security is purchasing BILLIONS of rounds of ammunition, thousands of rifles, and armored vehicles? DHS now has enough ammo to shoot every man, woman, and child 5 times if I have gotten my facts straight. I know that the statement released from DHS claims that this is all for training; Mr. Young, not everyone in the country is uninformed, or stupid. You do not purchase that quantity of ammo for training! On top of that one would not spend the extra capital on Jacketed Hollow Point ammunition for training, it is unneeded and a waste of money. I, as a law-abiding, tax paying citizen of this country want to know what the are actually planning on doing with this ammunition, and all of the Personal Defense Rifles (what the administration likes to call assault weapons if they are in the hands of a citizen)? I am not simply taking the word of various on-line news sources, I have done some research on the FedBizOps site, and have seen a large number of the awarded contracts and bids.

I feel that since it is my tax revenue being used to fund these purchases I have a right to know the true reason for these purchases while we are in the midst of an economic sequestration. Furthermore I take issue to the fact that the very administration that seeks to restrict my inalienable rights is purchasing the very things that they are trying to restrict and remove from my hands!

Thank you for your consideration, and research into this matter.

Jason A. Partridge

I'll report back with any response I get.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    All,
    The following is what I received from Rep. Todd Young. I have seen this very same information on a few other FB posts as well. I am now going to attempt to track down a time when Rep. Young is at the Bloomington Office where I could discuss this with him in person, as this response is not an answer, but more in line with a deflection.

March 18, 2013​

Mr. Jason Partridge
    3920 W. Stoutes Creek Road
    Bloomington, IN 47404-1330

Dear Mr. Partridge:

Thank you for contacting me about the reports involving government agencies such as the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and their purchases of large quantities of ammunition. I appreciate hearing from you regarding this important issue.

Statutory offices of inspector general (OIG) consolidate responsibility for audits and investigations within a federal agency. Established by public law as permanent, nonpartisan, independent offices, they now exist in more than 60 establishments and entities, including all departments and largest agencies. The purpose of these OIG offices is to detect and deter waste, fraud and abuse within their own programs and personnel. These OIG offices employ special agents across the nation, and they are authorized to execute search warrants and make arrests, similar to local police. As such, they are required to carry firearms for self-defense purposes.

Additionally, the DHS maintains oversight over many federal law enforcement agencies. As a cost-savings procedure, the DHS buys ammunition in bulk for agencies such as the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Secret Service, Federal Protective Service, Customs and Border Protection, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. All of these entities employ the use of firearms and were included in the most recent bulk ammunition purchase.

I understand the initial concern that these news reports might bring. It is reasonable for citizens to be concerned about the purchase of such large amounts of ammunition by the federal government, and you have every right to inquire as to how your tax dollars are being spent. However, I am confident that these purchases will be used solely for law enforcement purposes.

Again, thank you again for contacting me. It is an honor to serve you in the U.S. House of Representatives.

In Service,

Todd Young
    Member of Congress

TY/JL

*Please do not respond to this email. This mailbox is unattended.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Sounds like he basically told you nothing to see here, move along. If it's for training as they say do they not understand the cost differential between FMJ and HP ammo?

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    One point to clarify on FMJ and JHP. I have heard that the fed agencies must train with what they carry. This can allow for some of the use of that much ammo. Not sure about all the numbers, but I wanted to throw that out.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    You asked. He answered. If you determine in advance any answer is wrong unless it confirms what you suspect, why bother asking?

I am not saying that I do not believe his answer, just that it is a form answer. I would like to know the reasoning behind purchasing this much ammunition in the middle of a financial sequestration. I could go along with the bulk purchase answer if they were done buying, but they are not. I also have questions as to why the SSA needs ammunition, as, AFAIK, there are no armed agents of the SSA. Even more quizzical to me is why the department of education needs ammunition, it's not like they are placing armed guards in every school, as they should be! Also, it is my duty as an American citizen to question the government, as it is the duty of every American citizen to do. I would further state that if the answer we receive does not seem satisfactory, keep digging until you get an answer that is, or in this case one that holds some kind of logic.

As someone else up-thread mentioned about training with what they carry, OK, then that may make some sense, but they why are they buying FMJ rounds as well?

However you slice it, this topic is not what a responsible government does! At best it's needless over-spending at the worst possible time, at worst, it is something far more sinister! Again, I'm not spreading rumors, this information (although redacted for some reason) is easily found on the .gov's own websites.

I understand that you have to continually maintain your skills or they erode over time, however when a government agency has purchased enough ammo to fight a war for 26 years, an agency that is supposed to be an intelligence gathering and LE coordination agency that operates on US soil, one has to wonder what war in our own borders they are preparing for?

Top Bottom