3) Yep.
    4) Yep/ Sure is.
    5) Nope. Got a license.
    6) You should mind your own business.
    7) Nope. .45
    8) USP .45
    9) Why the hell do you care?
    10) Nope.
    11) Nope, but you can get the **** away from me.
    12) Nope. H&K

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When I OC and I get asked questions, I only say one sentence, and then walk off.

"I'm open carrying my gun because it makes me feel better about myself because I have a small penis." ;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Seriously though, I have OCed before, and usually nobody even notices. And I doubt I'll have to answer any questions because most people will just stare.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I always try to be polite when asked about it. Some people are anti. Some just don't know. I always try to ad a little levity to it to relax some who might be nervous.
    Are you a cop? No. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Is that real? yes it is.
    Why do you carry a gun? I have a bad back, and a cop is too heavy.
    Do you have a permit? I have a license to carry, absolutely.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My answers depend on their tone when they ask the questions. If they sound like they're genuinely interested I'll be polite and truthful. If they sound confrontational, my answers are a lot different.

For example... #9 (polite version): I carry a gun so I can protect myself and my family.
    #9 (impolite version): to shoot stupid mf'ers.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    1) Are you a cop? No, sir/ma'am.
    2) Is that a gun?! Yes it is.
    3) Is it loaded? Of course!
    4) Is that legal? Yes it is.
    5) You have a permit for that thing? (when not asked by LEOs) I have a License to Carry a Handgun.
    6) You should cover that up before someone sees it. Indiana's LTCH doesn't require me to carry concealed, though there are times when I do.
    7) Is it a 9mm? No, it's a 40 (45, depending on what I'm carrying at the time).
    8) What gun is that? It's a Glock 27 (or 30, again, depending on what I'm carrying at the time).
    9) Why the hell do you carry a gun? Because the state of Indiana says it's okay for me to do so; it's for personal protection, and not even the police are obligated to protect me, or anyone, really. Not exactly the same, but kinda like why people have fire extinguishers in their home, garage, car, etc.
    10) Are you that scared to get attacked? No. Not any more scared of getting caught in a house or car fire.
    11) Im pretty sure it's illegal, can I see your ID/licence? (when not asked by LEOs) It is very much legal; look into it yourself, the internet is full of great information! You might even want to go to ingunowners.com ...it's a great forum made up of Indiana Gun owners and others interested in talking about and sharing their interests! <shameless plug :D >
    12) That's a Glock right? Right! See? You know more about guns than you thought! :D Thanks for the chat, but I've got to go ...my ice cream is melting!

Though I've had bits and pieces of that conversation, it's really been a very, very small percentage of the people with whom I cross paths while I'm carrying.

Most of what people know about guns has likely come from the news media and movies/television shows. Almost all of that information skews the reality of firearms. When I OC and people aren't losing body parts and flying back 20 feet when I pass, it's new information for them to take in. When they stop and ask questions, I have no problem showing them I'm a regular guy (plenty of fiber) without an attitude (but, oh ...the things I could say :D ...like "Here's your sign!" sorts of things). Then again, if I'm eating ice cream, or in a hurry, they might get the abbreviated version.

tyler_durden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Westfield
    1) Are you a cop? Cops?! Where?! I can't go back!!
    2) Is that a gun?! Of course it is
    3) Is it loaded? Maybe, I can't remember how many shots I fired earlier
    4) Is that legal? I sure hope so
    5) You have a permit for that thing? (when not asked by LEOs) No way, you need a license
    6) You should cover that up before someone sees it. Oh $%#@ is my fly open??
    7) Is it a 9mm? No its average size for my body type!!!
    8) What gun is that? What gun?
    9) Why the hell do you carry a gun? Because carrying a flame thrower draws too much attention
    10) Are you that scared to get attacked? Is that a threat?
    11) Im pretty sure it's illegal, can I see your ID/licence? (when not asked by LEOs) Are you trying to steal my identity?
    12) That's a Glock right? A clock?!?! NO! its a gun we already discussed that

Maybe don't act this crazy but it's funny to think of the reactions these answers would bring.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Q: Why do you carry that? Are you expecting trouble?

A: Nope. When I'm expecting trouble I carry a rifle or a shotgun. This is for the trouble I'm NOT expecting.
    Brilliant!

1) Are you a cop? No, ma'am
    2) Is that a gun?! Yes, ma'am.
    3) Is it loaded? Yes, ma'am.
    4) Is that legal? Yes, ma'am.
    5) You have a permit for that thing? (when not asked by LEOs) Yes, I do.
    6) You should cover that up before someone sees it. No thanks, no need to
    7) Is it a 9mm? Sure is
    8) What gun is that? A Glock 17.
    9) Why the hell do you carry a gun? To protect myself, my family and friends and other innocent people that need protection from the Bad Guys.
    10) Are you that scared to get attacked? Scared? No. Just prepared.
    11) Im pretty sure it's illegal, can I see your ID/licence? (when not asked by LEOs) It's plenty legal, and no, u may not see it. If interested in getting your own I can help you out with that later.
    12) That's a Glock right? Yes, ma'am.

Simple, direct answers. Always with respect unless the other person is a DB or instigator then my answers will change as fast as Indiana Weather.

1) Are you a cop? Not a "local" cop
    2) Is that a gun?! Why are you asking?
    3) Is it loaded? Why are you asking?
    4) Is that legal? Why are you asking?
    5) You have a permit for that thing? (when not asked by LEOs) Why are you asking?
    6) You should cover that up before someone sees it. Afraid not
    7) Is it a 9mm? Why are you asking?
    8) What gun is that? Why are you asking?
    9) Why the hell do you carry a gun? Why are you asking?
    10) Are you that scared to get attacked? Why are you asking?
    11) Im pretty sure it's illegal, can I see your ID/licence? (when not asked by LEOs) Check it out yourself and get educated.
    12) That's a Glock right? Why are you asking?

"Why are you asking?" is great for them. Answer as many questions as you can with questions. I can be a real smart arse, but I will spare you guys/gals from having to read it.

If they are interested and I have time, I will converse a little and urge them to find out more on their own. Little old ladies (like my Grandmother) seem to be either hot or cold-some are intrigued (like my Grandmother) or they are disgusted and think I am vermin.

Top Bottom