• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    for Picatinny rail.

The plan is to share one scope for two "target" rifles.

Who makes the best ones for, say $40 or less?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A Savage 110FP and MkII BV. One had a one-piece Leupold mount with Leupold dovetail rings and the other had a set of Weaver mounts. I'm going to put rail mounts on both of them. The EGW mount arrived today for the 110 and I'll probably get another one for the MkII. This is a longer term project, so I have plenty of time to look for rings and a scope.

I saw a set of Warnes on Amazon for <$50 which could work in the budget, but I'm not totally a fan of the rings the have a vertical split. And something like LaRue is just too much.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another issue. ZERO. Even two QUALITY mounts like Larue costing >$100 wont hold your zero between rifles.

Its one thing to have a quality mount that will hold zero on one rifle as you swap multiple optics on ONE rifle. But based on my limited understanding its nearly impossible to install two bases on two rifles, zero the optics on rifle A, then move the optics to rifle B and still expect it to be zeroed on rifle B.

Sorry, but it just doesnt work that way. (I admit to hoping that would work too)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Another issue. ZERO. Even two QUALITY mounts like Larue costing >$100 wont hold your zero between rifles.

Its one thing to have a quality mount that will hold zero on one rifle as you swap multiple optics on ONE rifle. But based on my limited understanding its nearly impossible to install two bases on two rifles, zero the optics on rifle A, then move the optics to rifle B and still expect it to be zeroed on rifle B.

Sorry, but it just doesnt work that way. (I admit to hoping that would work too)

You will definitely have to re-zero between the 2 rifles. With cheap QD rings you will typically have to re zero on each rifle. Its hard to explain, but if you use something like a Bobro (QD/return to zero) mount you will have known zeros for each rifle (IE, up 5 MOA, left 7 MOA). 90% of QD mounts on the market are QD non-return to zero, so you would be starting from scratch each time you moved the scope.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If your budget only allows >$50 for a set of QD rings, it simply isn't going to work. To get a set of quality QD rings that will actually return to zero, you are looking at $200+, minimum. The level of machining and engineering involved to create something like that is extensive, and it doesn't come cheap. You might be saving some money on rings, but you are going to be spending A LOT more money on ammo and wasting valuable range time rezero'ing your rifle rather than enjoying it.

That's not even taking the scope into consideration, and whether or not it actually tracks 100%. As Vette said, with quality optics / quality QD rings / and a quality base, it is possible to have a known zero on each rifle, and share an optic between them all. But you are definitely going to need to save some more money for a setup like that.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As was already mentioned, the price of QD rings that return to zero is about halfway to the price of a really nice scope, and that's not even taking into account of the necessity of re-zeroing the scope to the inevitably different POI on each rifle.
    The solution is obvious: Get a scope for each rifle, using much more affordable (and generally much more rugged, btw) non-QD rings.
    You won't be playing swapping around games, re-zeroing, fiddling with clamps, and other aggravation, and instead concentrate on shooting.

Top Bottom