• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I have an AR15 I dont use. I have an old army friend coming up from Alabama and staying a few weeks in December. I want to gift him the gun or maybe trade him the gun while he is here.

I know he is not a felon and has an Alabama's equivalent to a handgun license.

Am I good to trade/gift this rifle to him? Or do I need to send it to an FFL down there?

Mike

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
    A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Go through and FFL

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Great. Thanks man. I guess I should have done a little more digging before asking lol.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The legal answers have been given. Butts are covered. INGO is safe.

Does the BAFTE have a camera in your living room? If you loan him the rifle and he forgets to return it before driving back to Alabama, will the BATFE be waiting for him in his driveway? Maybe so, I don't know.....

If so, you better check his ID before you offer him a beer.

'nuff said. I am always on the verge of being in serious trouble...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am curious, am I allowed to store one of my rifles at an out of state location? Say at a Nephews house, in his gunsafe? Can he use it for deer hunting this fall? I may or may not get it back from him since I might want to use it when I visit him? It is kind of a pain to travel with firearms as you all know, afterall. Pre-staging a rifle for a family deer hunt makes sense. To me anyway.

I don't want to get INGO in trouble, but at what point am I violating the sacrosanct regulations and facing stiff prison terms for pre-positioning a firearm?

The world we live in is radically different from the world I grew up in.

http://barnhardt.biz/

Last edited:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I am curious, am I allowed to store one of my rifles at an out of state location? Say at a Nephews house, in his gunsafe? Can he use it for deer hunting this fall? I may or may not get it back from him since I might want to use it when I visit him? It is kind of a pain to travel with firearms as you all know, afterall. Pre-staging a rifle for a family deer hunt makes sense. To me anyway.

I don't want to get INGO in trouble, but at what point am I violating the sacrosanct regulations and facing stiff prison terms for pre-positioning a firearm?

Barnhardt.biz - Commodity Brokerage

These are all great questions to pose to:

Sheriff Ken Campbell
    Brian Ciyou
    Vernon Lorenz
    Sen. Jim Tomes

at the January 12, 2013 Legal Aspects of Personal Safety, 4H Fairgrounds, Lebanon, IN.

Cost: $5.00 for all day (a steal!)

For tickets,
    Call: 260-459-2382
    e-mail: rbrtaldridge@iftnra.com
    visit: Indiana NRA Classes

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

Barnhardt.biz - Commodity Brokerage

IMO, and IANAL, DNSAHILN, you may ship your gun to yourself at his address (c/o him).. as long as you open the box/package. Once you're there, and you use the gun, how you store it while you're there is up to you (guns ARE safer in a safe after all).. there isn't a legal requirement to sihp your gun back to yourself that I'm aware of.

:twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    IMO, and IANAL, DNSAHILN, you may ship your gun to yourself at his address (c/o him).. as long as you open the box/package. Once you're there, and you use the gun, how you store it while you're there is up to you (guns ARE safer in a safe after all).. there isn't a legal requirement to sihp your gun back to yourself that I'm aware of.

:twocents:

This makes sense. So does leaving it behind after hunting season so it is there for me next year. He hasn't acquired it, he is simply storing it for me.

I might store one of my firearms with aa friend in Alabama for say, hog hunting when I go to visit him. If I had a close friend in Alabama......

I am hoping to attend NIFT's seminar in January.

IMO= in my opinion. Got that.
    IANAL=??
    DNSAHILN=???

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I believe it has to be an FFL in HIS state, not yours though. You would have to make a trip or pay double FFL fees.

No, they could transfer it here via an Indiana FFL unless Alabama has some restriction to this which I'm unaware of.

It was quoted already:

...he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides...
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    This makes sense. So does leaving it behind after hunting season so it is there for me next year. He hasn't acquired it, he is simply storing it for me.

I might store one of my firearms with aa friend in Alabama for say, hog hunting when I go to visit him. If I had a close friend in Alabama......

I am hoping to attend NIFT's seminar in January.

IMO= in my opinion. Got that.
    IANAL=??
    DNSAHILN=???

IANAL= I am not a lawyer
    DNSAHILN= Did not stay at Holiday Inn last night

:D

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    The legal answers have been given. Butts are covered. INGO is safe.

Does the BAFTE have a camera in your living room? If you loan him the rifle and he forgets to return it before driving back to Alabama, will the BATFE be waiting for him in his driveway? Maybe so, I don't know.....

If so, you better check his ID before you offer him a beer.

'nuff said. I am always on the verge of being in serious trouble...

Yeah, let's not skew the tagline "Gun owners are the most law abiding people we have."

Do the right thing, use an FFL.

Top Bottom