• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Got one back in February and finally got to get out and send some rounds through it.

I love the size and weight of this revolver. It easily disappears into a jacket pocket. It now lives in a Blackhawk #4 pocket holster. This really helps to break up the form, and in loose fitting blue jeans it is difficult to see that it is there. Now on something a little snugger it really stands out and looks like I'm happy to see you. So at some point soon I'll be getting an IWB for this little guy.

Care and maintenance of this revolver is simple and easy. Being mostly polymer and a 5 shot cylinder with a snubby barrel, it took about 5 to 10 minutes to clean up after being at the range. Ruger has it in the manual that there is nothing to oil until you hit a 1000 trigger pulls.

So my daughter and I got to head to the range on Saturday. We split a box of .38 special. We put holes in paper at about 10'. My first groupings were low and left, about the 7 o'clock position first time out. My daughter was to the right. By the time we got done both of our groupings had improved. We had about a 4.5" group on the last go round. Wasn't great, but for 25 rounds each I felt it was a good base line to improve on.

Then it was time to try a .357mag. I loaded the revolver with some Remington 158 grain FMJ. I'm not going to lie, I was geared up for this. I have never shot a .357mag before. I've read about them being shot from this revolver by others, but now my cherry is getting popped. I set up, got breathing under control and slowly squeezed the trigger. Shooting this thing was brutal!!! The pain that shot through my hand was not pleasant by any means. On the plus side I was about 1/2" from center at the 2 O'clock position. I finished off the other 4 rounds but really wanted to stop after 2. I did shot a nice 3" group. Boy is this thing snappy with the .357. Not gonna lie, my hand and wrist hurt and my daughter wanted no part of shooting it.

Overall, I'm very happy I purchased this revolver. It is easy to conceal and carry. Being able to practice with .38's is a nice thing to be able to do. The next this thing fires a .357 round by me will be for defensive purpose only. And I pray I never have to do that. Maybe working at a keyboard for the last 15 years and some carpal tunnel stuff didn't help with the fun my hand had.

Last edited:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Nice. I got one as well. What I found interesting was that it was more comfortable than my SP101 w/ magnums. I settled on the 38 Gold Dot short bbl loads since there isn't a great improvement over them w/ the magnum rounds, I shoot them better & the shorter cases make for quicker reloads.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I stick with .38+P in lightweight snubbies. As you figured out, its like high fiving a sledgehammer. I've never been convinced that the extra fps out of a snubbie is worth the extra recoil, flash, and noise to justify a .357 over a .38+P in 2" barrels or smaller.

There are short barrel specific loads, though. I've yet to try them, but Buffalo Bore gets good reviews.

May want to take a look at these:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=275

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I have one and love it, too. With the quality grips on it, I don't have any issues with recoil (of course, I'm pretty good sized and that helps). My daughter on the other hand, will burn up 38's all day long, but was finished with the 357 stuff after one pop...something about her bones aching. lol

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I'd like to try some of the +P ammo. IF I can find some I'll pick it up. This also makes me want to get a .357 with a 6" barrel. Nothing like one extreme to the other.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Like mine, but it is a bear with full house .357s.

I honestly have trouble hitting anything else after the first shot toward the target. A failing on my part, I'm sure.

Jhampton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    This is actually one of my favorite guns to shoot. I find it to be quite accurate for such a short barrel.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I have one and love it, too. With the quality grips on it, I don't have any issues with recoil

Curious, what grips are you talking about? Are you liking the stock grips or is there something your keeping secret?

Aside from the Crimson trace I haven't looked to see what else is out there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Love my LCR-357... great pocket carry side kick t5o my SP101... It doesn't handle the 357 mag loads as well as my SP101's do but it's easy to carry and use from a pocket in the winter months...

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Little update. Made time to go put some time in with more .38s. At the end I wanted to fire some .357mag again. I've worked at a computer for 20 years now and pretty sure I have come carpal damage. My right hand was feeling very good that day. So I loaded the .357 JHP 158 grain rounds WWB, all I had. Popped off all 5 shots and it wasn't until the 4th one this time that I felt some discomfort. So, IMO, the shock of recoil is managed quite well for this little frame. I still haven't seen any +P anywhere.

Also, the Blackhawk pocket holster works quite well as an IWB holster. I spent a week trying it out and if you stand up and sit down a lot it will move too much for my liking. But for walking around it stayed where I put it and was quite comfortable.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I just shot my LCR for the second time last month. I shot some .357 out of it. I've never had any pain, and just notice the recoil is more than .38spl.. I may never us it with .357s, but like have revolvers in .357s because if I ever were to want to sell it, it opens up the potential market. It is a good little gun. I have both a pocket holster from DeSantis a leather holster from Talon. I don't carry it in the pocket, but wanted something that could allow for it if the need came up. The Talon holster is very nice and was a good price. It has the belt clip slanted and noticed at the bottom of the clip to catch on the pant belt. It is called the 2'o clock because you can carry it there, but I carry it on my hip.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Ive shot one, once. That was all it took for me to know that it wasnt the best option for concealed carry. My wife did decide later, after shooting my J frame, that she wanted a snubby, and chose the LCR 38. It packs as much punch as she cares to handle in that small of a package. The only thing that has been changed was the front sight, I installed an XS front sight for her, and it closed her groups up considerably. If she wants the extra power of the .357, she can always step up to her Service Six, and not be beat up every time she pulls the trigger.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    i really like mine.... ok my wifes;) for a snubbie. Much better than the taurus 85 ultra light we had.
    I definitely need to get that Talon holster for it though. esp since my xds is in a box somewhere between here and
    Geneseo

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Yeah, this snub isn't for everyone. I'm a fan of the .357 round. I like the option of being able to fire either the .38 or .357. I enjoy the having 2 options from one revolver. That is a reason I'm really thinking of getting a Judge or a Governor I think is the S&W version.

I keep finding myself drawn to the Bond derringers. I really like the idea of being able to swap barrels out. Not the most practice thing, but it has a niche in my interest.

Top Bottom