• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I hesitate to ask for my ignorance, but is there a good product to hone a quick edge on a pocket or kitchen knife? Anything that doesn't take a whetstone and an hour?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If the edge isn't too far gone or mangled, some quick stropping on 1000>1200>1500>2000 grit sandpaper works great.

If the edge is gone, a lansky maybe? Personally I do all my stuff on sandpaper.

If the edge is mangled, a ceramic rod, bottom of a coffee cup, or even the top of a car window does a decent to good job at taking all the dings and realigning the edge.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    In a pinch, there are a few things you can do that may be in your house. Have a ceramic bowl? Run the blade edge around it but you'll have to hold the angle.

Have an old leather belt? Use it to strop the knives. It will polish the edge like glass. I just stropped my esee 4 tonight that was already sharp and after stropping it's crazy sharp.

You could also pick up a smiths diamond sharpener for less than $20. It will definitely give you a good working edge with minimal effort. Here's a link http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X7LrT5zFF4nhrQHn6oDoBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHEQ8wIwAA

Good luck!

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I second quick regular stropping. I have a steel I use on my kitchen knives and just give them a sandpaper stropping on the rare occasion I abuse them. My hard or daily use knives get stropping on a regular basis and only really sharpened on rare occasions.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Sorry to threadjack, but do you use honing oil when stropping on sandpaper? And what angle do you strop at?

Even though it's wet sandpaper, I've never used honing oil on it. Just use it as a normal strop. As for the angle, not a clue. Eye balling it, and really just doing what feels right.

Not very scientific or precise but it seems to get the job done.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Few materials cut as quick as a diamond. I use DMT hones with just water.

The usual progression is 325, 600, 1200. I have carried a DMT 4" 600 in my back pocket for over 20 years, still works great.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Sorry to threadjack, but do you use honing oil when stropping on sandpaper? And what angle do you strop at?

That's the cool thing about stropping with leather, the angle doesn't much matter. The leather sorta binds to the edge anyway so you're good to go. Just find what feels about right and give 15 to 20 strokes per side.

I haven't used any honing oil so I can't speak to that.

Top Bottom