• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10thPlanetIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Have my LTCH.

I have go to Ohio this week. Was wondering what I need to know.

I've done some googling on the matter, but their laws are a bit confusing to me.

Thanks in advance!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Don't carry in Ohio unless you have a Utah permit. Ohio is picky with everything especially guns, I wouldn't advise it with an Indiana permit unless you want to be a felon.

By the way WELCOME TO INGO!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Keep the gun in a closed case or out of reach. A loaded magazine or loaded speedloader is a loaded gun and is a felony, (carrying concealed in a vehicle w/o a license)

No loaded long guns in vehicle what so ever. included magazines, but stripper clips ok.

To sum it up, keep gun unloaded out of reach, no loaded magazine, and keep ammo separate.

However since pre-emption has been made law, you can open carry anywhere, but just make sure you unload before you get back into car.

and signs hold power of law, if you have a valid ohio approved chl/ccw permit it's a misdemeanor. if you don't and OC into a place that has a no fire arms sign it's a felony trespassing. also there is no real law saying what the sign must look like, only that it has to be in a conspicous location, which time has come tell it can be a 1mmx1mm sign 30 feet away from the entrance.

also you may ignore signs in parking lots as they do not hold power of law, however be careful because chances are whoever put it in the parking lot most likely has it on their building.

I've been told by multiple police men it is best to just pull the slide off and keep the frame in the spare tire well and the slide elsewhere, becasue then all you are doing is transporting parts.

also general concensiou in ohio is that a pro gun sticker is probable cause for a search.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Ohio Troopers live on that Indiana // Ohio line and they'll nail you if you don't keep to speed limits.
    I got picked up going 95 in 65 on rt 30, going back to indiana after visitng family one time, this was right when i moved there. i told him i was going back to where i moved, he said this: "well good thing they got those excessivly fast speed limits over west"

:rofl:

oh and i didn't get a ticket. he said he was going back to his car, didn't even look at my license, and drove off.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I got picked up going 95 in 65 on rt 30, going back to indiana after visitng family one time, this was right when i moved there. i told him i was going back to where i moved, he said this: "well good thing they got those excessivly fast speed limits over west"

:rofl:

oh and i didn't get a ticket. he said he was going back to his car, didn't even look at my license, and drove off.

LOL!

10thPlanetIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Keep the gun in a closed case or out of reach. A loaded magazine or loaded speedloader is a loaded gun and is a felony, (carrying concealed in a vehicle w/o a license)

No loaded long guns in vehicle what so ever. included magazines, but stripper clips ok.

To sum it up, keep gun unloaded out of reach, no loaded magazine, and keep ammo separate.

However since pre-emption has been made law, you can open carry anywhere, but just make sure you unload before you get back into car.

and signs hold power of law, if you have a valid ohio approved chl/ccw permit it's a misdemeanor. if you don't and OC into a place that has a no fire arms sign it's a felony trespassing. also there is no real law saying what the sign must look like, only that it has to be in a conspicous location, which time has come tell it can be a 1mmx1mm sign 30 feet away from the entrance.

also you may ignore signs in parking lots as they do not hold power of law, however be careful because chances are whoever put it in the parking lot most likely has it on their building.

I've been told by multiple police men it is best to just pull the slide off and keep the frame in the spare tire well and the slide elsewhere, becasue then all you are doing is transporting parts.

also general concensiou in ohio is that a pro gun sticker is probable cause for a search.
    Thank you all for such a speedy response.

This is exactly what I was looking for. As I read the laws, it threw me off that you can open carry in OH but not in a vehicle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Thank you all for such a speedy response.

This is exactly what I was looking for. As I read the laws, it threw me off that you can open carry in OH but not in a vehicle.
    Yes Ohio's laws suck but we've only had conceal carry for 6 years, meaning that we have only been able to have a loaded handgun our vehicles for that time, with the license. You must also inform the officer during ANY, i mean ANY interaction with one (minus a nod walking down the street).

Hopefully hopefully that will change, as it is just out right dangerous (city bus cops disarming people and city bus cops only carry tasers uhg.)

Just stay vigilant, brother, because if you're open carrying and your shirt comes untucked and covers up just 1cm of your pistol you can be charged with cc'ing. Also a pistol pouch, with a flip top (think torkrev) is also cc'ing.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN

Is that really legal? Ohio does not recognize Indiana's LTCH. The above info is what one would have to do in order to drive THROUGH Ohio, on their way to someplace else that does recognize our LTCH.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I honestly don't know about a final destination accepting the indiana ltch, but... in ohio i would not carry any time of loaded weapon in my car no matter what, unless i had an ohio approved ccw. but that's just me and all the horror stories i hear about people getting felonies for "thinking" what is ok. also in ohio, with a ccw there are only 4 ways you can carry your loaded gun in a vehicle or on motorcycle
    1. on person in a holster, (you will get a misdemeanor if your lcp is loose in your pocket)
    2. in a closed container such as bag THAT HAS A ZIPPER or case WITH A LATCHING TOP IN PLAIN SIGHT (meaning leave it on your passengers seat
    3. in a CLOSED LATCHING stowage compartment of the car (trunk does not count)
    4. in a locked container/case (trunk does not count)

also any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the permises is 100% off limits. If you walk into a grocery store and they are having a wine tasting, you better back your butt back to your car and disarm yourself.

Last edited:

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Also, according to Ohio code 2923.11,

(B)(1) “Firearm” means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant. “Firearm” includes an unloaded firearm, and any firearm that is inoperable but that can readily be rendered operable.

If you get caught in Ohio with a firearm, it will be a bad day for you, loaded or not, or "inoperable", it's still a firearm.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    as an ohio resident without a carry license, you have to have your gun in the trunk. you can have your mag with you just not loaded, or just keep everything in the trunk, still with an unloaded mag. thats what i do.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have LOTS of in-laws in OH.

I regularly and routinely take my firearms with me to my mother-in-law's property to shoot them. Unloaded and in the trunk, of course.

And why haven't I gotten off my duff and gotten the Utah stuff done? *sigh*

Top Bottom