• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    I plan on purchasing QuickLoad, but have not done so yet.

Can someone that has it run some info through it please?

308 win
    22" barrel
    1:10
    208 amax
    2.975" length
    CFE223
    960 ft elevation
    Std temp std barometric pressure

I'm looking for:
    Min/max charges
    Velocities
    Case fill %

Thanks in advance for any information or leads to someone with the information.

Jason

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    Thank you

I am aware of this and of hodgon's website aswell. I have worked up many loads before this one. I'm not an expert or ballisticion, but no where near a rookie either. I am attempting to reduce powder and bullet waste.

Thank you
    Jason

As you c.o.a.l. increases, you have more powder capacity available. This also increases both the minimum and maximum charge weights.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I guess I should have also added that I am using the lightweight Winchester brass (153gr-157gr)
    It would really make a difference in the parameters to enter a value for case volume, no matter if you're using a FL die or just neck sizing. If you haven't ever determined water volume before it's simply a matter of weighing your sized and trimmed case empty to record a weight, filling with water and weighing again to determine grain weight capacity.

It makes a big difference in rifle loads to plug that information into QL to get the information you're looking for.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    These are once fired, but not by my rifle. They have been FL sized. I should probably form them to my chamber, neck size and recheck. That is the process I will be using anyhow.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Here, this is the average of 16 of my Hornady Match cases formed to my chamber and neck sized.

56.44gr h2o
    I sent my old disc back to them for the version 3.8 upgrade they just released. New one is on the way, when it comes in I'll plug all that into the program and see what it generates for you.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have quickload and it is a guestimate. I wouldnt recommend that ypu use that as your sole data. Case capacity as measured by water weight makes a huge difference too.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    I am not going to use it as my sole data. I will look for the over pressure signs as I increase the charge aswell as chronograph readings.

I am just looking for more data than what's available for this bullet, which isn't much. I haven't found any data containing CFE223 as of yet. Right now, a guesstimate is better than pissing into the wind.

I have made calls to companies and received estimated starting charges, but no more information pertaining to this powder/round combination.

So, I'm not running blind on this. I would just like more data before I dive into load development on this combination. Depending on the data, I may not even use CFE223. I'm am looking for an alternative to Reloader 17 with this combination. CFE223 has been giving impressive velocities while maintaining accuracy requirements on almost most cartridges.

If either of you would be willing to plug in my data and run the numbers, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you
    Jason

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    I just got another powder option. I would like to possibly see a comparison of Reloader 15, CFE223 and Reloader 17 if possible.

Again, thank you for any information you can provide.

Jason

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Two thoughts:

Quickload is much more of a guesstimate than a starting load recommendation from the bullet or powder manufacturer you are using.

As your cartridge OAL increases you gain case capacity, but the bullet is also closer to the lands. One decreases pressure while the other has the potential to increase it. Unless you KNOW your rifle has a very long leade into the rifling, do not presume you can increase the powder charge simply by using a longer OAL. This is a particularly slippery slope when using the long-for-caliber 208gr A-Max bullet.

:twocents:

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    I've performed several load developments on this rifle for various purposes. I've done them for several different Berger VLD bullets in this rifle ranging from 168gr-190gr.

I do several measurements with each round before I even think of putting in the first grain of powder.

I've developed loads for several rifles other than this one with great results. Sometimes I get these results rather quickly and others it takes a while, as all rifles are different.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not a rookie at this. I'm far from the all knowing Great Wizard of Oz however. I've worked with a very experienced gunsmith performing load developments with him and doing the work for him. I've developed loads for his custom precision rifles ranging from 223 Remington up to 338 Lapua. 6.5 Creedmoor was by far my favorite with 7mm WSM right behind it.

Just my :twocents: here. If this program is such a guesstimate, then why do bullet manufactures use it when you ask them information other than what's in their book? The information output is only as good as the information input.

All that I am asking for is data to compare with what I have found myself.

I understand if you don't want to plug in my data, that's fine.

I don't think I've ever received so much resistance from a question before. I've explained that it will not be my sole data. I've explained that I've consulted manufactures. I've explained my reasoning. I've explained my experience. I'm finished explaining myself, my questions and my reasoning to people. I'm nearly blue in the face by now...

Thank you for any information or leads to my information.

Have a nice day
    Jason

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Jason, I haven't forgotten about you the new software version should be here this week at some point. Pretty sure CFE 223 has been added now, I'll get with you on some specific measurements for the bullet profile input and let it work up the loads.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Well the deal with Quickload to is that you can plug in a totally inappropriate powder and it will spit data out to you. So, i'll compare powders that i have load data for into the computer. What is key, and I mean key, is to measure case water volume. It will substatnially change your numbers. I use it to help me narrow down powder selections by looking at what velocities I was vs case capacity %. Also, powder change in density from lot to lot. That is why you will see load data that doesn't hive you the same velocity as what is published which also has to do with barrel length too.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    Yes, I agree with you on powder lot variables and barrel length differences.

The powder also changes density each time it is opened and if it sits in the powder hopper. It loses humidity and each granule becomes lighter.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Jarhead, if you can get me an overall length on those 208's and double check the diameter I'll run those loads for you. Tracking shows that package should be waiting on me when I get home.

Also, boat tail base or what's the configuration on that one?

Top Bottom