Quietest Non-Suppressed .22 Semi-Auto Rifle???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After doing a little Google-fu exercise--which took a lot longer than I thought it would by the way--I finally tracked down the barrel lengths of the 10/22 and sr-22...

18.5" and 16" respectively. As if I wasn't confused before, it now looks like the rifle with the SHORTER barrel was quieter. Go figure--just when it starts making sense, the world messes with my head again.

Good thing I lost my mind decades ago, or I'd be in trouble by now. (Left it in an old pair of pants, went through the wash and didn't recognize it since it was clean, threw it away!)

It’s probably the difference in action noise you are hearing. The SR-22 may just have a quieter cycling bolt.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Mine. Not even kidding.
    I have a 22 conversion kit I put on my obnoxiously long Colt CAR HBAR and it is crazy quiet. I brought it to Machine gun excursions soft opening a couple years ago while they were shooting suppressed. It was one of the quietest 22 guns being shot AND was the only one not suppressed.
    We figured it is due to the length of the barrel:
    -24" allowing the gas system to act like a suppressor,
    -shooting .22 out of a 5.56 barrel allows some slop,
    -plus the length means there is little to no powder still being burnt/expanding by the time the round leaves the barrel.
    I used to love to take it to Friday night steel and other steel shoots but it is too quiet to consistently be heard by the timer and becomes an annoying process.

If anyone wants to shoot it, I'm always looking for an excuse to shoot it. It is fun but I don't get the chance to shoot anywhere that will allow me to shoot without hearing protection.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The noise is certainly affected by the barrel length. Try a BSA Martini International or a Winchester 52 target rifle with their heavy 28-29 inch barrels. Now they are quiet. And someone mentioned the CZ Ultra Lux - same thing - very quiet.

For a semi-auto, once you deal with or don't consider the action noise, barrel length will be the determining factor.

All this is assuming the same ammo used for sound level comparison of course. Different ammo can be the biggest difference of all.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My Marlin XT22 (22" barrel) with cci quiet is registering 60-65db. I am loving it. I can even shoot it indoors without ear pro

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    [video=youtube_share;BPQyfy1B3Ac]https://youtu.be/BPQyfy1B3Ac[/video]

Nice story in above video and that rifle is very quiet.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Appreciating the suggestions above... And forgive me for being in a hurry here, but the girls gone fishing thread awaits!!!

Anyhow, has anyone else got a Ruger SR22 rifle that's substantially quieter than the plain ol' 10-22, or was it maybe just specifically my buddy's gun that was unusually quiet??

And now off to ogle what I'd never, ever, be able to do more than ogle!!!

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Not having read the entire post stream CCI 22 Mini Caps make less noise than the sound of my BLR .22 lever action's hammer falling. Squirrels never heard it coming, even after I missed and corrected.
    They are 22long powered by primer only.

MH

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Been searching for a quiet load for my 16" barrel 455. CB short is NOT it.

I've tried several of the Aguila Colibri loads and the Super Colibri. They're pretty quiet, but useless. Why? About 12" groups at 10y in my normally very accurate CZ. Also-- 0% function. They don't feed in my bolt gun, they don't feed in my Semi auto pistols.

So-- MAYBE if you have a single shot long barrel gun, the colibris might be of some use.

I've found the CCI quiets to be the sweet spot for me. Hearing safe (barely) from a 16" gun, reasonably accurate.

I think a long barrel is really the way to go if you want quiet. If considered buying the 24" barrel for my CZ to try it out. But each time I think about messing with a barrel swap, I get hung up on just buying another CZ that has the longer barrel to begin with. A 457 UltraLux has some definite appeal to me (or the new MTR model).

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been searching for a quiet load for my 16" barrel 455. CB short is NOT it.

I've tried several of the Aguila Colibri loads and the Super Colibri. They're pretty quiet, but useless. Why? About 12" groups at 10y in my normally very accurate CZ. Also-- 0% function. They don't feed in my bolt gun, they don't feed in my Semi auto pistols.

So-- MAYBE if you have a single shot long barrel gun, the colibris might be of some use.

I've found the CCI quiets to be the sweet spot for me. Hearing safe (barely) from a 16" gun, reasonably accurate.

I think a long barrel is really the way to go if you want quiet. If considered buying the 24" barrel for my CZ to try it out. But each time I think about messing with a barrel swap, I get hung up on just buying another CZ that has the longer barrel to begin with. A 457 UltraLux has some definite appeal to me (or the new MTR model).

This is why I just decided to go through the process and bought a suppressor. I have one bolt action I really enjoy using and had it cut back to 16.25” and threaded.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This is why I just decided to go through the process and bought a suppressor. I have one bolt action I really enjoy using and had it cut back to 16.25” and threaded.

That's the page I'm on, also. Would I rather have a can or another CZ? Easily, it would be the can.

Top Bottom