• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Okay guys I guess im asking what are your tactics for rabbit and squirrel hunting I mean I go hunting but I really dont get alot and only got my limit once. I normally just go out in the woods and find a good spot to just sit and wait when I see one walk past i shoot maybe im not looking in the right spots or maybe doin something wrong.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    we use dogs for rabbit hunting, so we let em run em around the lake and hope they don't find a hole before they make it back around to us. Without dogs we usually walk around for rabbit to flush em out.

In my yard I just pop em with a .22 when I see em

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Rabbit and squirrel hunting take very different tactics. For squirrels I usually find a good place to sit for a little while and wait for movement and then stalk closer if I need to. For rabbits we usually go out and start kicking the brush. Look for tracks in the snow and any bit of brush they might take cover. Sometimes if I see a good brush pile I will walk up to it and just stand there for a couple seconds before kicking it. I've had alot of rabbits panic and take off running with me just standing there. lso as you are walking keep looking behind you, have seen alot of rabbits hang tight and let us pass, to backdoor us and take off. I prefer to hunt rabbits with a group of 3-4 hunters, cover more ground and usually one hunter will flush one for the others to get a shot at. My son just picked up a beagle puppy this year, we hope to have her trained and hunting with us by next season.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    We use dogs for squirrels, sure beats the hell out of walking around the woods breaking your neck or sitting in the woods breaking your neck! Either way it saves you from breaking your neck!!! :rockwoot:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    For rabbits, I watch out of the windows of my house. When I see one hopping around, I grab my benjamin airgun, pump eight times, go outside and shoot it.

Got some right now in the freezer that I might just cook on New Years.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I used a "baby squirrel" call for squirrel that was dynamite. My grandfather bought it at the Galyan's in Plainfield. It was like flat whistle. "Mr. Squirrel" I think was the name of the call.

My buddy had one of those tubes that you would bump against the stock of the rifle. That worked too.

I like rabbit hunting better, because you could talk and make noise.:D

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Lot of lazy hunting these days. My family has used the same tatics for years and still kill em. Squirrels we slowly and quietly walk through the woods. Listen for them cutting or look for them moving. Rabbits, just walk through the woods, kick brush, shoot running rabbit. Pretty simple! :)

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Lot of lazy hunting these days. My family has used the same tatics for years and still kill em. Squirrels we slowly and quietly walk through the woods. Listen for them cutting or look for them moving. Rabbits, just walk through the woods, kick brush, shoot running rabbit. Pretty simple! :)
    Lazy???? Last hunt we took the dogs on it was 200 yards or more between trees and we made probably 15 trees, you walk that far in the woods chasing a dog and then tell me if it is "lazy"!! :D

wilbur352

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    I would have to agree with AZ hunter on his theroies. I do have a beagle that we are running for the first time this year. I have been out the past three days to several different woods. I have only seen a dozen rabbits, and very few tracks. I think the numbers are down. I can remeber as a kid walking thru and our group taking ten out one woods. The ast few days i have just been hoping to get the dog on to one. I have shot 4 squirrels while out rabbit hunting.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    For squirrels scout the woods early before the season starts for hickory,beech,oak that has acorns on it then when season opens slip in early and set under the trees and wait for the action to start even if the squrrels see you they have a short memory and will slip back out after several minutes a 22 is my prefered weapon to use:)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

that was the best way to do it 20 yrs ago. usto you could do that and limit out in a couple hours. now you can walk all day and mabye jump 1 rabbit. thats why i got dogs.

truth be told i dont shoot alot of rabbits. i shoot mabye 3 a year. i usually take out the dogs and turn them loose, walk around with a shotgun, see the rabbit comming, raise the gun, then i realize how much fun the dogs are having and let it run buy and the dogs keep running it.

i love watching a dog work

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I'll have to check with my pops to see how they have done this winter with rabbits and get back with you guys. Bet its fun chasing dogs all day. However, we never have been a sit and wait squirrel hunter. Maybe we been gettin it wrong all these years. :)

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I will sometimes sit in a spot for about 20 minutes if I shoot one squirrel and I know there are more in the same area. Other than that, walking through the woods with a single shot shotgun or a nice light .22 almost always gets me my limit of squirrels. I plan to go tomorrow if it's not flooded where I hunt. The damp ground should make silent stalking that much easier.
    Rabbits are a whole 'nother story. Haven't seen near as many these past few years as what we used to. I would love to find as good a spot for rabbits as what I have for deer, turkeys and squirrels.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Old buildings (pole barns, garages ) and junk piles rabbits.

We still get em but the coyotes take many, not as many coyotes around here as there were a few years ago. I took care or a little of that.

Tree rats are fun. A lazy walk around the woods.

Top Bottom