• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am leaning towards raising rabbits for the protein value over a chicken. Doing so I would raise chickens for laying eggs.

Any suggestions on which breed of rabbit to eat and chickens for eggs?

I want to start the rabbit, chicken raising asap. In the early summer in an going to try water farming.

Let's see...

Do you have a preference between heritage breeds and commercial breeds?

If you don't care here, you could go with ISA Browns or Golden Comets. They lay tons of large brown eggs at a high rate. They are exhausted early, and given their breeding, you generally have to replace them by buying new chicks since attempting to breed them will give you a duke's mixture of contributing genetics without replicating the chickens you have. They are bred to put out eggs in a hurry and do so.

If you are more traditional, you can research heritage breeds, of which there are many. You can choose the size, colors, and volume of eggs you are looking for. You can make choices regarding physical appearance of the chickens. To address this question is much like asking, "I want a gun. What should I get?"

Can't tell you much about rabbits aside from the fact that rabbits that lay Cadbury eggs are complete fiction!

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    We have raised many breeds of chickens for eggs - (Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, Orpingtons, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes) - and I think the best layers we have had are the Leghorns. They are always the first ones to start laying, they lay most often and they keep laying the longest. They are also a small breed, so I assume they are more efficient at converting feed to eggs.

If you are looking to eat them afterwards, the Leghorn probably isn't the best choice, but based purely on egg production, they are tops in my book.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We have raised many breeds of chickens for eggs - (Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, Orpingtons, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes) - and I think the best layers we have had are the Leghorns. They are always the first ones to start laying, they lay most often and they keep laying the longest. They are also a small breed, so I assume they are more efficient at converting feed to eggs.

If you are looking to eat them afterwards, the Leghorn probably isn't the best choice, but based purely on egg production, they are tops in my book.

My own plan is to acquire a flock, of Easter Eggers this spring, but that, admittedly, is as much in deference to my own eccentricities as any practical reason (although I do like their eggs and their appearance on the farm).

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    New Zealand and Califonian are probably two of the most popular meat rabbit breeds. They will make market weight (4.5-5 lbs) by about 8 weeks. A doe can easily have 3 litters a year.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Do domestic rabbit have a significant fat content? If not, chickens will provide more complete sustenance, especially in cold weather.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Browns/comets are preferred. They lay the most eggs & you can always cycle them out after a year of production. You have lot's of options with the egg's. Freeze/dehydrate/sell. DO NOT GET DUCKS, the egg's are huge, but they are just plain disgusting. Rabbit's will require either a giant cage or several cages stacked up. I built my first basic coop as an a-frame with 3 nesting boxes on 1 end. I added an additional 3 on the other end. I sold that batch when I moved & am in my 2nd batch of chickens now. I have a mix of girls now. I would not get any roosters, they are noisy & can tend to get a little roudy with each other. I will be expanding my fenced in run next year, but they do have the run of the yard.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Browns/comets are preferred. They lay the most eggs & you can always cycle them out after a year of production. You have lot's of options with the egg's. Freeze/dehydrate/sell. DO NOT GET DUCKS, the egg's are huge, but they are just plain disgusting. Rabbit's will require either a giant cage or several cages stacked up. I built my first basic coop as an a-frame with 3 nesting boxes on 1 end. I added an additional 3 on the other end. I sold that batch when I moved & am in my 2nd batch of chickens now. I have a mix of girls now. I would not get any roosters, they are noisy & can tend to get a little roudy with each other. I will be expanding my fenced in run next year, but they do have the run of the yard.

They are a little different, but disgusting seems a bit harsh. Duck eggs are also necessary for some baked goods.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Do domestic rabbit have a significant fat content? If not, chickens will provide more complete sustenance, especially in cold weather.

Nutrition Information About Rabbit Meat

• Rabbit meat is all white meat.
    • Rabbit has 795 calories per pound. Compare: chicken at 810, veal at 840, turkey at 1190, lamb at 1420, beef at 1440 and pork at 2050.
      graph.gif
    • Rabbit has the highest percentage of protein.
    • Rabbit has a lower percentage of fat than chicken, turkey, beef, or pork with unsaturated fatty acids at 63% of the total fatty acids.
    • The cholesterol level in rabbit meat is much lower than chicken, turkey, beef, pork.
    • The U.S. Department of Agriculture has stated that domestic rabbit meat is the most nutritious meat known to man.
    • Research shows that rabbit meat has beenrecommended for special diets such as for heart disease patients, diets for the elderly, low sodium diets, and weight reduction diets.
    • Because it is easily digested, it has been recommended by doctors for patients who have trouble eating other meats.
    • Rabbit meat compares very favorably to veal.

Found ^^ that.

Rabbit, the other.......other white meat.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Actually, rabbits have such a low fat content that you can get sick if that is your only source of fat....however the meat to feed and labor ratio, make them a good source of quality protein. Some raise the as much for the manure as the meat.
    We started with chickens because of the eggs.
    we decided to try rabbits because chickens are a pain to butcher, and layers and their offspring Don't have good meat....in our experience.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    i have decided to raise both chickens ans rabbits. Now the question is how many of each to start with?

I am thinking, one rooster, two egg laying hens. For the rabbits, one male, two females.

Any suggestions on the ratios?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    i have decided to raise both chickens ans rabbits. Now the question is how many of each to start with?

I am thinking, one rooster, two egg laying hens. For the rabbits, one male, two females.

Any suggestions on the ratios?

I am going to suggest that you start by deciding how many eggs per day you will use and get a couple more chickens than that by virtue of the fact that not all will lay every day and you will find incidental uses for the eggs. For the rabbits, I am going to say that you probably already have a decent idea starting with 2/1.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I raised New Zealand Red rabbits for a few years and once established and breeding, my family of 6 had more meat than we could use out of 5 does. I had to start selling some as pets or breeders. I was able to sell the manure to people I work with to more than cover my feed costs. Free meat after recouping the cost of cage materials.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I am going to suggest that you start by deciding how many eggs per day you will use and get a couple more chickens than that by virtue of the fact that not all will lay every day and you will find incidental uses for the eggs.

This^^^ We have 10 hens and we are getting 6-9 eggs per day. Less now that it has turned cold outside.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I am going to suggest that you start by deciding how many eggs per day you will use and get a couple more chickens than that by virtue of the fact that not all will lay every day and you will find incidental uses for the eggs. For the rabbits, I am going to say that you probably already have a decent idea starting with 2/1.

I would also suggest getting a couple more chickens than you need for your desired egg production because you may find that some of them will never lay....as they will grow up to be roosters.

backyardchickens.com is a good resource. Backwoodshome.com also has many of their articles online.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I suggest a visit to the Mother Earth News site and search. You will come up with all kinds of articles on raising small animals along with the why's/economics of it all.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have got mice in the barn by the rabbits, will now trap the mice and feed them to the chickens. Bwahahaha. .....sorry....chickens love mice.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    If you know anyone who has reptiles, or live near a pet store that sells them, save and freeze any rabbits that don't make it. Extra income from snake food.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    We have now had chickens for about 8 years. I would never have rabbits even if they were free and someone else paid to feed them. There are some things to make life easier if you are going to do chickens.

1. We turned one of the stud channels in the coop into a gravity feeder by covering it with plywood and building a trough under it, it has another plywood section screwed to it to regulate the amount of food that comes out, it holds two bags and we refill it every 2-3 months as our chickens free range
    2. We built and automatic waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket and a toilet fill float valve http://www.roundrockfunnyfarm.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/the-auto-filling-bucket-waterer/ Only works April to Novemebrr ('ish)
    3. We bought and automatic chicken door (this is the best money we have spent yet on the chickens ($250) knowing what I know no I would've done it first www.chickendoors.com - Home
    4. This winter after having battled frozen waterers in the winter and having tried heat tapes, heat lamps etc. we built a cinder block heater it was $50 for two (one for each coop) pic explains it all http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Fdc4YmwE4HY/UqirgE8fXsI/AAAAAAAAEw4/Bdoah9AS8f8/s1600/Cinder+Block.jpeg

Can get pics of feeder if needed.

Top Bottom